Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

where should we strengthen?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think we need two 'forward' players, with the following issues to the fore:
-- one swift goalscorer/number 10 as Baldock-competition, and another attacking midfielder in the Pritchard mould, so we can switch to 4-4-1-1 when CH thinks it's necessary (protecting leads, tough away games, etc)
-- one ready-made and proven type (e.g. Assombalonga), and one with enormous potential who can fill in this season but will really be challenging for a starting-spot in the next few seasons

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Goal keeper although most will disagree because he's on twitter.

Right and wrong, I reckon.

It's definitely got to the spot where should we go up, Goalkeeper would be one of the first places I'd look to strengthen. However, he looks to me to be an integral part of the incredible team spirit this outfit has, I wouldn't want to rock that unless I was absolutely certain the guy I'm bringing in is an immediate and unequivocal upgrade.

Baldock upgrade/ competition is the key for me. Another Duffy like signing, which improves an area I hadn't really acknowledged we were weak in (set pieces, high balls in Duffy's case) would be nice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Right and wrong, I reckon.

It's definitely got to the spot where should we go up, Goalkeeper would be one of the first places I'd look to strengthen. However, he looks to me to be an integral part of the incredible team spirit this outfit has, I wouldn't want to rock that unless I was absolutely certain the guy I'm bringing in is an immediate and unequivocal upgrade.

Baldock upgrade/ competition is the key for me. Another Duffy like signing, which improves an area I hadn't really acknowledged we were weak in (set pieces, high balls in Duffy's case) would be nice.

This. Stockdale makes a few errors and his weight and fitness can be up and down. On his day, though, there isn't a better keeper in the Championship and he's saved us as many points as he's cost us. However, what he brings to team spirit cannot be and should not be underestimated.

We definitely need to add one or two strikers. Three is not enough in the Championship - four if you count Elvis but he wants to go and I'd say that Murphy was ahead of him in back up striker stakes now that March is fit again. A quality back up right back too. We can't expect Bruno to do 46 games again can we?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
2 strikers needed, but we'll probably only get 1.

Elvis OUT.

1 Central midfielder as Ince will be unavailable due to his court case ( and after if that goes badly).

Lua Lua and/or Towell maybe to go out on loan.

I would like to see if Towell impresses in some U23 games and, if he does, maybe given a chance in first team.
Otherwise, why did we sign him? Someone must have seen he had something.

Lua Lua could come back from injury and be awesome but then again he may not. He doe seem to have lost a bit of pace since he was on fire last year.Has been injury prone for the last few seasons though.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think we need two 'forward' players, with the following issues to the fore:
-- one swift goalscorer/number 10 as Baldock-competition, and another attacking midfielder in the Pritchard mould, so we can switch to 4-4-1-1 when CH thinks it's necessary (protecting leads, tough away games, etc)
-- one ready-made and proven type (e.g. Assombalonga), and one with enormous potential who can fill in this season but will really be challenging for a starting-spot in the next few seasons

Isn't that 4?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We have arguably the best back up in the league in Rosenior, who will be back in the next few weeks. We don't need a third.

But he's also a back up left back and right midfielder, at least arguably. However, you're right, once fit he'd be the one to slot in this season. I was thinking a bit longer term though. If we go up Bruno will be 37 next season. Would he or Rosenior be automatic starters in the Premier league? By quality back up I meant someone who could potentially start slotting in if promotion looked a certainty.

I'm not sure we do that though, do we? I'd expect if a right back came in it would be with a view to providing competition for Bruno's place.

Again, you're probably correct. My logic was based on the above which is sort of what you're saying. Again I see Rosenior as cover in a number of vital positions rather than one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's amazing how many strikers NSC appears to believe have got cheaper, since the summer.
Mr Barber will be heartened by the news.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But he's also a back up left back and right midfielder, at least arguably. However, you're right, once fit he'd be the one to slot in this season. I was thinking a bit longer term though. If we go up Bruno will be 37 next season. Would he or Rosenior be automatic starters in the Premier league? By quality back up I meant someone who could potentially start slotting in if promotion looked a certainty.

Again, you're probably correct. My logic was based on the above which is sort of what you're saying. Again I see Rosenior as cover in a number of vital positions rather than one.

In terms of Bruno, it's obvious that he'll need replacing, although he seems to be defying that obvious point. He hasn't quite hit the heights of last season, but he's still one of the first players on the team sheet.
The question is when though. The club have been trying to address this by signing Hornby-Forbes and developing Hunt (Collar might also be an option there too), but they're not ready-made replacements as Liam is currently. I also think that Goldson could fill in at right-back if required, so think we're covered there for this season.

I doubt Liam will fill in in such a variety of roles this season or, at least, his services won't be quite so stretched between the positions. We've got international experience cover at left-back this season, and there are five wingers/wide midfielders in the squad. I can't see him being required anywhere else apart from right-back. He may come on and play a more defensive wide midfield role when we're protecting a lead and, apart from that, he'll cover for form and fitness at full-back.

We will need a quality right-back in the summer, however, and I do agree with what's been said about Stockdale.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's amazing how many strikers NSC appears to believe have got cheaper, since the summer.
Mr Barber will be heartened by the news.

Beyond your seemingly permanent striker pessimism, an alternative way of looking at it is that Bloom 'gambled' in the summer by not splashing the cash on a striker, and is willing to invest that money in January. And before you trot out your response that prices will be even more inflated in January, the recruitment team will have identified the player(s) they want, and will get them early. That's my prediction. It happened last season with Knockaert, and I think we may well get one early in January with another following later in the month. Bloom's body language at Bristol when asked that question certainly intimated that something already is in the pipeline.

There will be quality options available in January (akin to Abraham, perhaps even Assombalonga, certainly those PL players not getting a game, maybe Robbie Keane). If we get one (which, as I've indicated, I suspect we will) then it's just a question of how quickly they gel, which is another way of saying, there are no guarantees.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
In terms of Bruno, it's obvious that he'll need replacing, although he seems to be defying that obvious point. He hasn't quite hit the heights of last season, but he's still one of the first players on the team sheet.
The question is when though. The club have been trying to address this by signing Hornby-Forbes and developing Hunt (Collar might also be an option there too), but they're not ready-made replacements as Liam is currently. I also think that Goldson could fill in at right-back if required, so think we're covered there for this season.

I doubt Liam will fill in in such a variety of roles this season or, at least, his services won't be quite so stretched between the positions. We've got international experience cover at left-back this season, and there are five wingers/wide midfielders in the squad. I can't see him being required anywhere else apart from right-back. He may come on and play a more defensive wide midfield role when we're protecting a lead and, apart from that, he'll cover for form and fitness at full-back.

We will need a quality right-back in the summer, however, and I do agree with what's been said about Stockdale.

I think we need the option highlighted. But yeah, fair point, we probably don't need a right back in January, but I'd personally like to see us start to integrate one. Wouldn't be easy to obtain the right player, I'll grant you.

The overall feeling for me on the January signings is that they need to evolve the squad. There is still a real possibility we could go up in the playoffs and I don't want us to be desperately scrambling for players in June and July while everyone else tweaks their squads. Thinking of the current side I would say Duffy, Dunk, Bong and Knocky would be PL starters. You could make cases for Stockdale and, at a push, Hemed. Stephens, Kayal and Murray could also start at that level but will be out of contract or back to their owner club. Rosenior would be excellent PL cover. After that we need to look at strengthening.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Pocognoli is backup left back, or is he now written off ?

Rosenior can concentrate on the right back position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Beyond your seemingly permanent striker pessimism, an alternative way of looking at it is that Bloom 'gambled' in the summer by not splashing the cash on a striker, and is willing to invest that money in January. And before you trot out your response that prices will be even more inflated in January, the recruitment team will have identified the player(s) they want, and will get them early. That's my prediction. It happened last season with Knockaert, and I think we may well get one early in January with another following later in the month. Bloom's body language at Bristol when asked that question certainly intimated that something already is in the pipeline.

There will be quality options available in January (akin to Abraham, perhaps even Assombalonga, certainly those PL players not getting a game, maybe Robbie Keane). If we get one (which, as I've indicated, I suspect we will) then it's just a question of how quickly they gel, which is another way of saying, there are no guarantees.
Oh I do agree.
After all if TB doesn't pull the trigger now, he never will.

But all the 'overheated' nonsense we were force fed from 01.09 hasn't gone away.
If anything with the clubs need & position the buying market has got worse, certainly buying from English football.

Begging the question why hand out such a phoney excuse, in the first place?

The fixtures in January suggest there's no point waiting until 31.01.
I hope a deal is early and it's a Skalakesque wwhhhooooo, if for no other reason they might be a cheaper Mr Tony.
If we can't trust this recruitment team and manager, then the we should all give up.
It's unlikely the spectre of Kemy will come looming over the horizon, in a couple of months.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This. Stockdale makes a few errors and his weight and fitness can be up and down. On his day, though, there isn't a better keeper in the Championship and he's saved us as many points as he's cost us. However, what he brings to team spirit cannot be and should not be underestimated.

He should be in the plus column not balancing out his good saves with errors. To me, he looks on the heavy side at the moment and he was clearly slow getting down to that header on friday. It was saveable and it was a disappointing effort.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here