Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Where is the best Cheese Ploughmans in Sussex

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The Bridge Inn, Houghton Bridge ..... lovely ploughman's!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The very friendly bar lady explained " a lot of people have been asking for that, but it's not a winter dish". Their principle on this appears to over rule their desire for money. I shall be lobbying for summer to start in February in North Durrington in future.

The Nachos and company were however very nice.

Confirmation as to whether the Royal Oak in Wineham is currently offering a Ploughmans needed please.
North Durrington.... Lol..... that's like my youngest brother who lived in Battersea, he seriously called it South Chelsea.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
North Durrington.... Lol..... that's like my youngest brother who lived in Battersea, he seriously called it South Chelsea.
To be fair it's right on the cusp of Durrington/High Salvington/Lower Salvington, so I decided to go with North Durrington. In hindsight it was a bit estate agency, but had I been selling a house there I'd have probably called it Findon :ROFLMAO:

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
The 21st century version is just not the thing really. Far to fancy I had one on a slate with all sorts of weird stuff involved
Strange type lettuce etc
I pulled them up on it and was told that this is the way forward….not this old kiddie I’m afraid 😳

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Reviving this as mentioning The Swan on another thread reminded me I had a cracking ploughman's at the Swan last week. Not had a ploughman''s for yonks and very much enjoyed it.
Hmmm perhaps l'l have a mosey down to Falmer's only hostelry for a pre match lunch this Sunday . . . if they serve ploughman's on a Sunday that is . . . and if indeed they serve any sort of lunch worth having on a matchday.

I guess regular visitors would know?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last time I had a pub ploughmans was Shepherd and Dog, Fulking.

Very good apart from the devil's own sauce, picallili.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
@Giraffe ans I made it to Worthing’s Coach & Horses in Ploughnans season (I know) finally.

Very, very good.

I have no immediate comparisons so don’t know how to score this. It’s going to be high though.

IMG_2177.jpeg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
To give you a guide as to where my head is at with this picture:

Bread - yes YES
Cheese - yes, but has to be English cheese YES, but Cheddar only
Pickle sauce - okay, but I personally don't like it - YES
Pickled onions - yes ABSOLUTELY
Gerkins - no, it's not a burger - YES ABSOLUTELY
Scotch egg - I could just about get on board with that being included - NO
Cucmber/raddish/tomato - yes, feels English - YES
Ham - maybe but not if a scotch egg or a pork pie is on the plate - YES
Pork Pie - only if no ham or scotch egg - YES ALWAYS
Lettuce - no, whats the point, I don't want to use a knife or fork - NOT A CHANCE
Grapes - no - YES
Apple - possibly, if there has to be a fruit in this that would be the only one I'd accept - YES
Lemon - not sure if that is a lemon or a very yellow apple, but it would be a no - NO
Yellow sauce stuff - not keen, but I'd accept it is a reasnable accompaniment, just not for me - YES

I'd add Coleslaw, Butter, Spring Onion & Harvey's
Not that it's in the picture but on the drinks front it's easy:

Cider - yes
Anything else - no

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
@Giraffe ans I made it to Worthing’s Coach & Horses in Ploughnans season (I know) finally.

Very, very good.

I have no immediate comparisons so don’t know how to score this. It’s going to be high though.

View attachment 170180
These are a good Ploughmans :drool:

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
That looks decent. Although the cheese to bread ratio looks a bit off. Might be asking for an extra cracker there :ROFLMAO:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Lovely to see you @Bozza

On mine I also had Pork Pies just to give the full picture. We both chose cheese by the way but there was an option for Cheddar or Blue Cheese or Ham or any combination of those three.

Ploughmans.jpg

If I was to have a gripe it would be that the bread was not rustic, more a garlic bread (without garlic) type thing. Pork Pie and cheese were both very good quality though.

8.5/10 probably.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
A ploughman's must be served on a plain white plate purchased at a cash and carry by the landlord of the pub you are sitting in. It must also include something slightly wilted and a few days past it's best, such as a manky bit of cucumber or browning lettuce leaf which are left on the plate (to be scrapped off to be used again).

Anything else is not a ploughmans lunch.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
When did a ploughman manage to have toasted bread, scotch egg and pork pie for lunch?

I thought it was supposed to be beer, bread and cheese with maybe pickled onions or pickle!
I suppose pubs have added some salad etc but surely pork pie and scotch egg are not part of the tradition.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That looks decent. Although the cheese to bread ratio looks a bit off. Might be asking for an extra cracker there :ROFLMAO:

There were four pieces, not three as it appears, but the quantity was probably slightly off but that was my fault. I ordered the cheddar AND Shropshire blue option, figuring I'd get a half portion of each cheese, but it was actually two hefty pieces.

There were apple slices buried under all the other food, so I used them with some of the cheese.

it was a big meal - I didn't need any more bread!

They've burnt your toast, Bozza...

Yeah, I thought that, looking at the photo, but I didn't think the same "live" and it didn't taste burnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here