Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Where is the best Cheese Ploughmans in Sussex

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Following on from our noble leaders hunt for the best onion rings, where is the best Cheese Ploughmans in Sussex?

This seems to be a dying offering with so many pubs either not offering a ploughmans or offering something that frankly is a poor imitation of the name.

Best in recent memory for me was the Sussex Ox near Alfriston, but my last visit (last summer) was not as good and its a bit if a trek for me. Can it be topped?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Following on from our noble leaders hunt for the best onion rings, where is the best Cheese Ploughmans in Sussex?

This seems to be a dying offering with so many pubs either not offering a ploughmans or offering something that frankly is a poor imitation of the name.

Best in recent memory for me was the Sussex Ox near Alfriston, but my last visit (last summer) was not as good and its a bit if a trek for me. Can it be topped?
Royal Oak at Wineham

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not seen a cheese ploughman's on a menu for yonks. Like the OP says they are quite rare now.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Coach & Horses, along the A27 at Clapham (West of Worthing). Mrs Bobkin and I went there last summer and were amazed by the quality and portion size. Nice pub, too 👍🏼

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Royal Oak at Wineham
Seconded, a brisk 45 minute walk across the fields behind my house and l'm there, so a regular visitor in the clement weather.

Nothing too fancy, just a selection of two or three different cheeses, crusaty bread of course, accompanied with a pickled onion, chutney and a little bit of salad.

Good old fashioned simple fare, the way it is supposed to be served, and a quaint oldie worldie pub to savour it in.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It is strange that it is so hard to find, it's the very definition of fast food.

Get some good quality cheese out the fridge, a bit of salad and a pot of butter, put it on a plate with some nice fresh bread. Go over the top with various pickles that are all sitting there in Jars, what could be simpler :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And l often do. Not quite the same as eating it in a country pub, with a pint of freshly pulled bitter do wash it down with though.
Whilst I agree they are nice to make at home, a Sunday walk is missing something without a proper pub plougman's in summer.

But I'm a fraud, I like them with brie.

Sorry.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Royal Oak at Wineham

The internet tells me this is it. Decent but I’m not sure about that bread. I’d like a nice crusty bread and that looks a bit roll/bap/cob like. I appreciate this is a level of fussiness beyond every day problems.

5F4F2875-7C8A-4F9D-B05E-D6AA78086C33.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The internet tells me this is it. Decent but I’m not sure about that bread. I’d like a nice crusty bread and that looks a bit roll/bap/cob like. I appreciate this is a level of fussiness beyond every day problems.

View attachment 156141
Yep, that’s it. They do a cracking pork pie ploughmans as well………
The rolls are gorgeous - served warm too.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Coach & Horses, along the A27 at Clapham (West of Worthing). Mrs Bobkin and I went there last summer and were amazed by the quality and portion size. Nice pub, too 👍🏼
Now this is funny. Me and Mrs Giraffe went there about a year ago and I agree it’s a decent ploughmans and the landlord was amusing.

The ploughmans comes with a pork pie, which after checking with the kitchen the landlord says they didn’t have but would I like a bit of ham instead. I said yes, that’s lovely. I’m not even that keen on a pork pie that much. He went out the back and shouted “yeh just shove a bit of that old ham on it” 😁

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
At the risk of misquoting Jay Rayner this is pretty much just showing off at shopping.

In these days of Artisan beards we should be insisting on a place that pickles its own onions, bakes its own bread and makes delicious hard cheese from recycled bath water

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here