[Albion] Where is Moises going? (Chelsea - 14/08/2023)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is Moises going?

• Total voters

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Do you have a solution?

This is uncharted territory for us. When we sold White we got more money for him than the combined total for every player we had sold previously. Ever. Then we doubled that, and some, with Cucurella.

At some point, when we start winning things, we may keep our great talents at the club bit longer.

In the meantime we have a first world problem.

As for Rice, their one prize player, two seasons in Europe, been at the club since he was a foetus.....more a Dunk than an Enciso. And Dunk was a Chelsea supporter. To imply Wet Sham can do what we can't is false equivalence.

I'd compare us to Stains when they had an eye for a player, albeit our recruitment is better, and our achievement (this season) better. Manager better. Owner better. The closest Stains have got to Europe is the ferry to Ryde.

Meanwhile we have a ticket
But it’s precisely the strategy TB has put in place.…….he’s playing the big clubs for their money to preserve our sustainability.
£35m plus add ons for Macalister we would of been better off keeping him. He said himself he didn’t mind either way.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
In terms of his quality he should grace Real, Barca or Bayern but they can't afford him so I think he'll go to Arsenal. They will continue to splash the cash and he already spoke about his delight to go there in his previous statement / apologised for injuring his new teammate Martinelli.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
That's also the way for it to go badly wrong, all it takes is one poor season with players on those wages and we could be back to the wilderness for years.

The most important thing is they we're sustainable. We can't compete with the big 6 on wages while Tony Bloom is our owner.

Just be happy that we're seeing the quality of Mac, Caicedo, Enciso etc for a couple of years of their career, and look forward to the next one coming through.
No I'm saying pay 3/4 of the best players that money. So, in essence pay 3 players max another 3m a year (top earner 85 at the mo?). Worth the extra 9m or so outlay.

Problem would then be that everyone's else's salary would probably get lifted up so it could be the death spiral.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Arsenal are signing Rice and already have Partey so difficult to see how Caicedo gets regular game time there so would be an odd move. Likely to get starts at chelsea but it’s a mess there and no European football this season and could again struggle to qualify for CL.

Unless someone else like Man United comes in (with lure of CL football) apart from a wage increase I think it would be best for his development if he stays here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do you have a solution?

This is uncharted territory for us. When we sold White we got more money for him than the combined total for every player we had sold previously. Ever. Then we doubled that, and some, with Cucurella.

At some point, when we start winning things, we may keep our great talents at the club bit longer.

In the meantime we have a first world problem.

As for Rice, their one prize player, two seasons in Europe, been at the club since he was a foetus.....more a Dunk than an Enciso. And Dunk was a Chelsea supporter. To imply Wet Sham can do what we can't is false equivalence.

I'd compare us to Stains when they had an eye for a player, albeit our recruitment is better, and our achievement (this season) better. Manager better. Owner better. The closest Stains have got to Europe is the ferry to Ryde.

Meanwhile we have a ticket to ride. Tish.....boom.
Not quite true, H.

Since their first qualification to major European cup competition in 1969, they have participated in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, the European Cup Winners' Cup, the UEFA Europa League and the Texaco Cup.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Not quite true, H.

Since their first qualification to major European cup competition in 1969, they have participated in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, the European Cup Winners' Cup, the UEFA Europa League and the Texaco Cup.
Yep, they qualified for the Europa League in 15/16 and 16/17, so two seasons running. We’d do pretty well to match that.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Arsenal are signing Rice and already have Partey so difficult to see how Caicedo gets regular game time there so would be an odd move. Likely to get starts at chelsea but it’s a mess there and no European football this season and could again struggle to qualify for CL.

Unless someone else like Man United comes in (with lure of CL football) apart from a wage increase I think it would be best for his development if he stays here.
Caicedo really is a level up from Partey from the eye test. Quicker, stronger and more dynamic.

However, it’s his forward passing that makes him world class. Remember Dale Stephens as a defensive midfielder? The ball normally went sideways or backwards when he passed it. With Caicedo, he very rarely passes sideways or backwards except when passing to a centre back in order to lure the press.

His short, medium and long pass completion stats are all higher than Partey whilst he is clearly (5%) ahead of him in metrics such as aerial battles won:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
£35m plus add ons for Macalister we would of been better off keeping him. He said himself he didn’t mind either way.
I imagine he would have been happy to stay if Liverpool didn’t meet the valuation, I imagine he’d have been well pissed off if he had to stay once they did.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not quite true, H.

Yeah.....I was wondering whether I ought to 'fact check' that before posting, but then I remembered that thing about truth and beauty, and decided that my narrative was to beautiful to change.

Sometimes known as the Johnson Gambit.

I'd probably best mitigate against this, going forward :facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is this best we can hope for one and half seasons for our first team young players that excel in the game. Every club has known Rice is a talent for a few seasons and no one has seem bothered to try and sign him until now. Our players seem fair game after a season bids will come for Mitoma at some point during the summer. Next January will it be Adingra, Enciso or Pedro if they perform or keep performing at this level It’s all getting a tad ridiculous.
no longer under the radar. good problem to have, all these players the other top teams want as well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I didn't see it myself but he was filmed in tears after our last game. Farewell tears.

Are you suggesting perhaps that he was pushed?

Even if it was merely 'transfer to Liverpool? Not bovvered', why were we so keen to take £35 mill for Mac when we turned down £75 mill for Moises, and at the time Mac was on a long term contract and Moises wasn't?

Whatever has gone on behind the scenes, I suspect that our owner has a picture in his head, and a plan for everything. I have no idea what it is, but am a very long way from being so emboldened I'd even begin to question it.

Given Tony's money to play with, if I had been in charge of the club these last 10 years I can guarantee we'd be feeling lucky to be in the bottom half of the Championship. Do you think it it were you we'd be playing in the CL final later today rather than Citeh?

Sorry, I don't wish to have a go but it saddens me that people waste time and energy effectively criticising the club right now. I would imagine that on the eve of the Hereford game you were either in a locked room on 24 hour suicide watch, or scouring disreputable Kemp Town pubs in search of a gun. :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
2) If Chelsea will match, but not beat any price from Arsenal - fine, we'll sell to Arsenal - what exactly is the advantage of selling to Chelsea if they won't beat the price?

If Arsenal and Chelsea both make an offer that is acceptable to the Albion, then it will almost certainly be down to Caicedo which club he goes to. An "advantage" to the Albion doesn't really come into it, unless we are trying to use the leverage of the Caicedo sale to prise someone else to join us, with Colwill being the obvious name there.

Coming back to this, as I may have finally understood it (I got some help from my 6 year old):
The reason I said 'fine, we'll sell to Arsenal', is because (in the made up scenario given) Chelsea haven't really made a bid - they're being extremely unhelpful to a club wanting to maximise the value of a sale. If another club is prepared to say 'we'll pay £80m' and that figure is acceptable, then they're the club that deserve the player, not some crap club who tried to get them for the lowest price possible.

Try going to an estate agent and saying 'we've got cash, so we can proceed quicker than others, so just tell us what others have bid and we'll probably match it'.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I imagine he would have been happy to stay if Liverpool didn’t meet the valuation, I imagine he’d have been well pissed off if he had to stay once they did.
It must be some kind of release clause £35m is a joke bargain of the summer for Liverpool.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I didn't see it myself but he was filmed in tears after our last game. Farewell tears.

Are you suggesting perhaps that he was pushed?

Even if it was merely 'transfer to Liverpool? Not bovvered', why were we so keen to take £35 mill for Mac when we turned down £75 mill for Moises, and at the time Mac was on a long term contract and Moises wasn't?

Whatever has gone on behind the scenes, I suspect that our owner has a picture in his head, and a plan for everything. I have no idea what it is, but am a very long way from being so emboldened I'd even begin to question it.

Given Tony's money to play with, if I had been in charge of the club these last 10 years I can guarantee we'd be feeling lucky to be in the bottom half of the Championship. Do you think it it were you we'd be playing in the CL final later today rather than Citeh?

Sorry, I don't wish to have a go but it saddens me that people waste time and energy effectively criticising the club right now. I would imagine that on the eve of the Hereford game you were either in a locked room on 24 hour suicide watch, or scouring disreputable Kemp Town pubs in search of a gun. :wink:
I didn’t criticise the club. I’m more annoyed we seem to get poached more than any other club in the division every transfer window seems to be a long drawn out transfer saga this summer it’s Caceido. Brentford have two very good players in Rico Henry and the winger Mbeumo I don’t see clubs falling over themselves to raid Brentford who had a very similar season to ourselves.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports