Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The constant plaudits we have received regards being the best run club in the Prem and how we find gems for nothing and sign them on for huge fees will take a big hit with this one.Let's see what people say about us now.
Really? The club have got 35m plus add-ons for a player who, in effect, only had a year left on his contract. I’d say this is very good business.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Really? The club have got 35m plus add-ons for a player who, in effect, only had a year left on his contract. I’d say this is very good business.
£7m initial outlay for someone who has featured hugely for us and a key part of our qualification for Europe and all the riches that brings.

If he left for nothing that would still be incredible return on investment

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Absolutely this. Nothing to do with playing in Europe. It's all about money first and foremost. Wouldn't be a breath of fresh air if a footballer came out and said he was moving because he was going to be getting huge wages and will be a multimillionaire in no time ? I honestly think he would get more respect instead of the usual bollox spouted?
From fans of the selling club, yes, but not to the buying club - “Oh look, a mercenary just looking for a big pay day, we don‘t want those types at our club”. The player has to live with the buying club after all, not the selling club…

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interesting that The Athletic is reporting that there were no add-ons...

So other The Athletic journos are throwing Naylor under the bus then?

....and it comes back to the have we done well/haven't we debate again. IF IF IF we have sold Mac for a straight £35M with no add-ons, then sorry to all those who disagree, we've been shafted, and Liverpool have got the steal of the century.

Please note the word 'if' - I've made it big so even the densest cannot fail to notice it.
IF IF IF we haven't sold Mac for a straight £35M with no add-ons, and have in fact got some achievable add-ons, we've probably done alright.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
So other The Athletic journos are throwing Naylor under the bus then?

....and it comes back to the have we done well/haven't we debate again. IF IF IF we have sold Mac for a straight £35M with no add-ons, then sorry to all those who disagree, we've been shafted, and Liverpool have got the steal of the century.

Please note the word 'if' - I've made it big so even the densest cannot fail to notice it.
IF IF IF we haven't sold Mac for a straight £35M with no add-ons, and have in fact got some achievable add-ons, we've probably done alright.
I just don’t see how £35m and nothing more could have come about. If we had some say in what the fee was then there’s no way Tony would have okay’d a fee that low. If we didn’t have any say in the fee at this point because it was a clause in the contract then I don’t see how we would have agreed that to be in there. If last year there was a situation where Alexis wasn’t going to sign a new contract unless there was a low £35m fixed fee release clause in it, then surely we’d have said no to it, because we could certainly get near that figure for him even if he only had one year left on his deal & we’re selling just to stop us getting nothing at the end of the deal. £35m plus a load of add ons makes so much more sense.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The constant plaudits we have received regards being the best run club in the Prem and how we find gems for nothing and sign them on for huge fees will take a big hit with this one.Let's see what people say about us now.As for Liverpool I know they have done nothing wrong but it just feels like the big club taking advantage of the small club.It stinks. Very very disappointed.
Why ? You have no financial stake in the club. You also have no inside knowledge on the negotiations or the alternative courses of action available. On what basis could you possibly be disappointed on the basis of that minimal knowledge ? I also have minimal knowledge of the circumstances btw.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I just don’t see how £35m and nothing more could have come about. If we had some say in what the fee was then there’s no way Tony would have okay’d a fee that low. If we didn’t have any say in the fee at this point because it was a clause in the contract then I don’t see how we would have agreed that to be in there. If last year there was a situation where Alexis wasn’t going to sign a new contract unless there was a low £35m fixed fee release clause in it, then surely we’d have said no to it, because we could certainly get near that figure for him even if he only had one year left on his deal & we’re selling just to stop us getting nothing at the end of the deal.
Unless the prior contract had an even lower release clause of course!…..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless the prior contract had an even lower release clause of course!…..
.... and if the release clause was less than £35M, would some people really be turning up to jump up and down in glee that Brighton had played a blinder?

....and if so, are we really saying Leeds fans are deluded? :facepalm:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It being a one off fee and no add ons doesn’t make any sense though. That would mean there was nothing really to negotiate & it was just a straight release clause, in which case why have so many journalists said this wasn’t the case and what have they been spending all this time quibbling over. Also, £35m for a straight release clause & nothing else to pay is just way too low. I would expect us to get somewhere around £30m for Mac this summer without a release clause even if he just had 1 year left on his contract, so to negotiate a release clause that low makes no sense. I don’t buy that at all. Seems to be a lot of journalist just trying to one up each other and make it seem like THEY have the real scoop & THEIR club got the better deal. £35m initial payment, and then a bunch of add ons that they’ve been negotiating recently (totalling £55m) seems to be what most trusted journalists are saying, & makes the most sense, so that’ll do for me.

THERE
WAS
NO
RELEASE
CLAUSE

Why is that hard to understand?

Unless you think Paul Barber is a lying git as he stated that several times.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Paul Barber said "we try and avoid things like that". He certainly didn't say they never included them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
THERE
WAS
NO
RELEASE
CLAUSE

THERE
WAS
A
CLAUSE (of some sort or other, which we'll never know the details of)
WHICH FACILITATED THIS MOVE!

IF - IF - if - if - if the fee was £35M, end of, then Brighton supporters would/should be very disappointed, and Liverpool would have got one hell of a bargain.
If it is £55M with (achievable) add-ons, for Brighton it's OKish; for Liverpool it's still a very good deal.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
THERE
WAS
NO
RELEASE
CLAUSE

THERE
OBVIOUSLY
WAS
OR
WE
WOULDN'T
HAVE
SOLD
ONE
OF
OUR
BEST
EVER
PLAYERS
FOR
MILLION
POUNDS
(One more than we paid for a championship player)

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
THERE
WAS
NO
RELEASE
CLAUSE

THERE
WAS
A
CLAUSE (of some sort or other, which we'll never know the details of)
WHICH FACILITATED THIS MOVE!

IF - IF - if - if - if the fee was £35M, end of, then Brighton supporters would/should be very disappointed, and Liverpool would have got one hell of a bargain.
If it is £55M with (achievable) add-ons, for Brighton it's OKish; for Liverpool it's still a very good deal.

THERE
OBVIOUSLY
WAS
OR
WE
WOULDN'T
HAVE
SOLD
ONE
OF
OUR
BEST
EVER
PLAYERS
FOR
MILLION
POUNDS
(One more than we paid for a championship player)
All of you: GIVE. IT. A. REST.
We all know the fee and the add-on amount - or at least the guesses as close to the real value as we will ever know. It doesn't matter how or why, it's happened. So just stop banging on about it. It's obnoxious and boring.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
All of you: GIVE. IT. A. REST.
We all know the fee and the add-on amount - or at least the guesses as close to the real value as we will ever know. It doesn't matter how or why, it's happened. So just stop banging on about it. It's obnoxious and boring.
No. The amount doesn't matter. What matters was that there was clearly a clause because it proves we have don't have a fundamental attitude to transfers and contracts that was set in 2018 and that some people on here are obsessed with.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It's done so move on. We have made at least £28 million profit and had a player who got us to Europe. If you think Barber could have got £60 million don't you think he would have?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I am beginning to get really f***ed off with Carragher and the like talking about 'what a steal' Mac Allister was for them. It's f***ing painful losing excellent players and characters but even more so when fans of the 'big' clubs and media rub it in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here