Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If it is £45m plus add ons up to £60m is not terrible IMO
The amount of money he has brought to the club by contributing to us qualifying for Europe is all down to keeping him until the summer. We may have got £15m more in January but we wouldn’t have qualified for Europe meaning the club would be lot more out of pocket than £15m.
Why should that have any bearing or relevance on what Liverpool or whoever should pay?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
IT’S ANDY WITH THE STEEL CHAIR :guns:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
God knows if there's any truth to this...

No, there isn't. That's literally one of the worst accounts on Twitter, either an unfunny parody or the least ITK I've ever seen. Still haven't worked out which.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The only other option which is ludicrous is this:

Mac Snr has his heart set on Mac Jnr joining Liverpool. Between them and Rom etc they have devised a plan:

Suggest there is a release clause when there isn't one and announce player set on Liverpool to discourage other teams.
Create expectation of player joining.
Agree contract.
Force us to accept reduced rate.

Which you'd suspect is both unlikely and wouldn't work.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
This is obviously going to happen at some point. Wether we have a release written in or not who knows but this our model. Wether we like it or not there are bigger clubs than us or clubs who will pay massive wages that players will want to go to. We give up and coming players a base to showcase their talents rather than be stuck on the bench or not get game time and they move with our blessing at a good price.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
i suspect a relatively low buy out clause was included in his new contract after he came to us and said he’d like to move on either in January or the summer. We negotiated and said that we won’t stand in his way if he gives his all for the rest of the season to help us achieve European qualification. We will pay him like a top 6 club would and include a buy out clause for assurance that he can go with our best regards at the end of the season. Qualifying for Europe and selling for £45m (?) is a better deal than a team coming in in January or now when he’s only got 18/12 months left and getting much less. £45m is less than we fans probably expected, but it may have been the best figure possible given our hand.
I think this it. I'm not quite sure how certain posters are finding this so hard to understand. Every transfer is different, depends on how discussions prior to signing a new contract went and what assurances we gave him that we will let him go providing certain conditions are met. It's why we got more for Cucurella than for Trossard for example.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Barber was asked directly about release clauses and he was categorical that Brighton never put one in any player's contract. I can't find the recent interview where he stated it as he's a media whore so could be one of many.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This is obviously going to happen at some point. Wether we have a release written in or not who knows but this our model. Wether we like it or not there are bigger clubs than us or clubs who will pay massive wages that players will want to go to. We give up and coming players a base to showcase their talents rather than be stuck on the bench or not get game time and they move with our blessing at a good price.
And this is fine and everyone accepts that. Personally I'm raising my eyebrow a little bit at the suggestion that £45m is a good price.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only other option which is ludicrous is this:

Mac Snr has his heart set on Mac Jnr joining Liverpool. Between them and Rom etc they have devised a plan:

Suggest there is a release clause when there isn't one and announce player set on Liverpool to discourage other teams.
Create expectation of player joining.
Agree contract.
Force us to accept reduced rate.

Which you'd suspect is both unlikely and wouldn't work.
Relies on Mac not saying, nah, you’re alright dad I’ll stick around in Sussex :smile:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Sky Sports saying Mac could be going to Liverpool this week.

The fact Liverpool have sold us Lallana, Milner and maybe Ox shows Bloom probably has a good releationship with them too.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
i suspect a relatively low buy out clause was included in his new contract after he came to us and said he’d like to move on either in January or the summer. We negotiated and said that we won’t stand in his way if he gives his all for the rest of the season to help us achieve European qualification. We will pay him like a top 6 club would and include a buy out clause for assurance that he can go with our best regards at the end of the season. Qualifying for Europe and selling for £45m (?) is a better deal than a team coming in in January or now when he’s only got 18/12 months left and getting much less. £45m is less than we fans probably expected, but it may have been the best figure possible given our hand.
My guess is something similar. Players generally hold most of the cards. In Alexis' case he could easily have run his contract down and we'd have got nothing next year.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If it is £45m plus add ons up to £60m is not terrible IMO for a player who

1. Got less goal contributions than Gross (even with pens)
2. Would’ve been out of contract and gone for nothing if the release clause wasn’t inserted.
3. A Postion which we already have a short term and a long term replacement and is a very available position.
4. The amount of money he has brought to the club by contributing to us qualifying for Europe is all down to keeping him until the summer. We may have got £15m more in January but we wouldn’t have qualified for Europe meaning the club would be lot more out of pocket than £15m.

It’ll all go down as undisclosed anyway and we’ll never know giving us a good position to negotiate other transfers especially if it is under reported.
All of THIS!

Fantastic midfielder, but very far from the complete package.

Penalties and free-kicks account for 7 ( I think) of his 10 goals.
His shooting accuracy is pretty horrendous from open play (something like 20%)

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

The fact Liverpool have sold us Lallana, Milner and maybe Ox shows Bloom probably has a good releationship with them too.

They aren't selling us any free transfers.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Okay. But why are multiple media outlets reporting that he is joining Liverpool? Why are multiple outlets reporting that there is a release clause, and why on earth would we even be entertaining offers as low this if there wasn't one?
If there was no release clause and Mac Snr wasn't set on Liverpool where are the links to Chelsea to Newcastle etc?
Where is a credible source for any of the media outlets?

I believe there

Sky sports transfer centre is about as reliable as Romano.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Why should that have any bearing or relevance on what Liverpool or whoever should pay?
Nothing I’m just saying why it’s a good deal for us. I don’t think his market value is above £60m. Number 10s are ten a penny these days, if Liverpool wouldn’t pay our price they would just go elsewhere, there’s plenty of quality all over Europe in that position.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

How in any way have Liverpool SOLD out of contract players to us, for the love of Tony please be a tad factual.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And this is fine and everyone accepts that. Personally I'm raising my eyebrow a little bit at the suggestion that £45m is a good price.
Actually I'm raising both my eyebrows at that suggestion!

SSN now getting pretty excited - seem to think it's pretty much a done deal. Personally I'm now of the opinion that he will go to Liverpool - and after all, what Naylor has said is that no agreement has been reached, which is a lot different from saying that nothing is happening, or no contact has been made!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Perhaps we agreed on a lower release clause on the basis of him not pushing for a move in January. He’s stayed for an extra half a season, helped to deliver us European football and in return we’ve helped grease the wheels of a move to an elite club. We still make a tidy profit on our original investment. Everyone’s happy. Just guesswork on my part though.
Please don't use the term 'elite club'. They are not elite, they are just swimming in borrowed money. Using the term perpetuates the myth that the richest clubs are part of an exclusive class that others cannot join. First Chelsea, then Manchester City and now Newcastle have all proved this a lie by joining the 'elite' ranks, simply by having owners who could pay the billions necessary to be members.

Describing them as 'elite' suggests that they are the only game in town and encourages the type of thinking that led them to believe that they didin't need everyone else and could form a league with their similarly conniving and dishonest European counterparts. They are not 'elite' clubs, they are not 'super' clubs. They are the soulless playthings of international capital. They are a constant reminder that absolutely everything in sport, in culture, in life is utterly devalued and ruined once capitalism gets hold of it and measures it's worth in purely monetary terms.

I'd suggest the alternative terms 'Cartel clubs', 'Rapacious anti-football clubs' or 'Seemingly bottomless pits of debt funded for nefarious reasons by morally dubious oil sheiks and venture capitalists with dollar signs where their hearts should be - along with Fifa, the most compelling evidence that we're in the tragic end times of the most beautiful and inspirational game ever to have graced the world stage: The sad representation of humankind's limitless appetite for destructive growth and aquisition regardless of the knowledge that it will lead to their ultimate end - clubs.'

Last edited:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Actually I'm raising both my eyebrows at that suggestion!

SSN now getting pretty excited - seem to think it's pretty much a done deal. Personally I'm now of the opinion that he will go to Liverpool - and after all, what Naylor has said is that no agreement has been reached, which is a lot different from saying that nothing is happening, or no contact has been made!
Sky sports is just following Fab’s lead. He gave the “here we go” and then shortly after sky sports publish their article. Their credibility or not is linked at this stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here