Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Where did you go for an Underage Drink ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The pub?
Red Cross, Reigate

The drink?
Lowenbrau

The lady next to me?
A slag

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Neptune on Hove seafront, the Downsman in Hangleton, and Top Rank on a Sunday who seemed to let anyone in on a .Sunday night.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Argh I can't remember the name. It was on Church Street around what is now Bison Beer. It was a strange pub and I am sure it was called something like 'The Green Room'?

They really didn't bother with IDs and this was the mid 2000s where a lot of places were getting quite strict.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Serge was a bit posh for an underage drink- Liverpool Arms was the place to be seen.............what a wonderful dump that was.
Other notable underage venues- upstairs Bent Arms Lindfield - Oak Ardingly - something in Burgess Hill but cant remember which one.

Yep - was 15 and getting beers served there. It was run (I think) by a family who's son was underage himself but appeared to be working behind the bar. As someone else has said, the village local, in my case the Farmers in Scaynes Hill, where you were known, and an eye was kept on you.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
There was a pub next to the train station where I grew up in Surrey which was so renowned for it's relaxed approach to regulations that people travelled from far and wide to get there. A real melting-pot of teenagers from surrounding schools that otherwise wouldn't ever mix, combined with alcohol, made it both a fantastic way to meet people outside the usual circle and a touchpoint for inter-school rivalry and the occasional fight. Most of the kids at my school were into metal and grunge and indie, but via people in that pub early dance 12 inches entered into our circulation too as we bartered and swapped bootlegs and tapes of rare releases picked up in Camden. I've got a really clear memory from those days of hearing Nirvana and the Prodigy for the first time, one after the other, in a totally formative 10 minute spell. Happy days!

PeakGull

Aug 30, 2017
Derbyshire
The Palmeira in Hove (Fosters Lager which wasn't too bad when it first appeared on our shores) and The Hungry Years (watered down p*ss).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
At 16, Prestonville Arms lunchtime from BHASVIC for bar billiards, individual shepherd's pies and halves of Gales BB. Friday nights Bath Arms, complete with table tennis table; William IV, Church Street and Sea House, Middle Street. Gigs at Top Rank Suite. Hungry Years. Shades.

Bunch of us piled down the Prestonville to celebrate an 18th and they got shirty and refused to serve, having been profiting from us for 2 years!

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
The Wilmington - Patcham......or whatever it's called now. It was 1960 and I was 14 years old. The pub had a Private bar, mostly used for take away sales. I can still see the barrels of Brickwoods Mild and Bitter that faced you as you walked in. Seem to remember the landlord was Harvey (Moon?), a big florid faced chap who knew bloody well I was under age, but still served a half of Mild! Sure brings back memories.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We used to have luck in the Bath Arms, Freebutt, and the pub now known as Crowns near the shopping centre but can't remember it's old name (terrible pub then, even worse now!). There was also a pub off Western Road, can't remember it's name but well known around School when we were 15/16.

Also used to go to a place called the Ray Tindle Centre , which used to put School/College bands on with a greasy guy selling tins out of a fridge in the corner. I remember trying to impress a girl by loudly telling her I'd get her a drink as they don't ID in here, before swiftly getting IDd and she had to buy one for me. :D

Happy days, must be awful trying to get served anywhere nowadays. But I guess the kids don't or can't afford to drink anyway!

Last edited:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
The Rodmill off kings drive, close to Eastbourne grammar school, then Diplocks in the town centre and another pub i cannot recall the name of, drank light and bitter (1974/5)

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
First bar I ever got served in was The Romans in Southwick. 4 years later I borrowed a load of glasses for my 18th birthday party. First nightclub I got into was The Escape, I would have been around 15.

The good old days before ID, you'd lie to the bus driver saying you were younger than you were to get half fair, get off the bus, walk into the bar and say you were older than you were to get served.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here