Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Where did you go for an Underage Drink ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The Ringles Cross, just outside Uckfield. Or Percy’s wine bar on the high street when I was feeling sophisticated :facepalm:

(I did try to get served in The Maiden’s Head when I was 16 but I was too old).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Mill House, Portslade, a pint of Watney's Special (17p) (15).

The Windmill, Wivelsfield, a pint of Mackeson (15)

Various gigs, vodka and lime, (15),

Never looked back :wink:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Used to go to a bar on hove seafront (Can't remember the name of it back then - looks like it is called Rockwater now). My brother worked in the Sackville hotel and they used to go in after work. We soon worked out the landlord didn't give a shot about our ages. Probably to do with the fact that the place was going to the dogs and he was clearly struggling. One night the power had been cut off and we sat in there by candlelight. All us 15-year-olds probably kept him in business for a while. We also played a gig down there and had the place packed for the night. Not many were over 18 though.

Other than that we would go to the King and Queen, The Gloucester, Escape, and Shades. A few others I am sure, but they have slipped my mind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The limelight club 6th Ave at west 20th

1984 ish the first time I went clubbing in NY.

Ordered a glass of champagne but I think they just gave me a cheap Brut but charged me for champagne!
I was naive at that time ..

you say? ??? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Duke of Wellington Shoreham - still my favourite pub

Yes. Early 90s. King's Manor schoolkids were wall to wall in there on Friday nights.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Off the back of a post in the 'Parenting in Pubs' thread

The three that come to mind,

As a 13 year old, you could get served in the 'other' pavilion at Hove dogs. What is now and has been for some years, Alliance and Leicester.

Similar age 'The Cliftonville' outside Hove Station. 'Pint of Lager and Lime, Honestly I'm 18 mister' :wink:

And the first nightclub I ever got into, Sherry's a few weeks after my 14th Birthday. My mates, who were older, used the line 'He's Jimmy Clitheroe's younger brother' to get me in. There was a fight, someone went over the balcony and I remember the pile of rifled handbags in the corner of the Gents. I was so impressed :lolol:

(Obviously this is an old gits thread, for those long, long before ID was invented :wink:)

Downs in woodingdean. I also got in Sherry's underage. Not 14 though! About 16 I think I was. Lived next door to a large family of girls. Just walked in with them. Wasn't even asked anything by the doorman. Couldn't believe I got in. Sherry's what a nightclub that was.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Started with the Sussex Uni bars (The Grapevine and East Slope) at 15. The Crown in Lewes at a similar time. At 16/17 it was easy enough to get a beer anywhere, being the days before they really cracked down on underage drinkers.

A doctored photocopy of a passport was generally sufficient on the occasions you did get ID'd, but they did eventually grow wise to that. As a 17-year-old, I'd sometimes flash a copy of my real passport to get into clubs and only once did a bouncer spot how old that made me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Quite a few places. The first place I had a drink was The Hollingbury but our regular haunt was the Stanmer at Fiveways. I can only recall two pubs that didn't serve me: the Alexandra and the Queens Arms in Kemp Town.

The King and Queen was a regular place to go to when I was 17. So I was particularly disappointed when, visiting the place with two friends from uni, I was refused service - I was 22 at the time!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Crown & Anchor on Preston Road.

Leigh Dilley was the landlord (he played Churchill in The Eagle Has Landed). He had a boxer dog whose name escapes me and a wonderful camp bar manager called Colin who drank pink gins and referred to us as "his boys". Happy days.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
1st drink in a pub was at the Bees Knees pub in Wigan aged 15 before the Guanabatz played a gig round the corner, you could buy large bottles of Merrydown cider sweet I drunk it through a straw and put paracetamol in it for some reason... Not sure why
I soon started drinking still underage at the local biker/alternative pub in Wigan called the John Bull, it was there I progressed to snakebite & black and then stuck with that until I was about 42.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
William IV in on corner of Bond street and Church Street in Brighton. Loads from my school would meet in there on a Saturday night. Half the pub at least was underage. The glorious late 70's/early80's! Underage drinking, Space invaders, Albion glory years and a mix of brilliant and terrible music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here