Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are we; where are we heading?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have we been mugged off more than the average Club, do you think? I had put it down mostly to general wage inflation, but of course made worse by some poor signings.

I imagine it's wages on Premier League loans. On the other side of the coin our transfers in and out are MASSIVELY balanced in the outgoing department

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is, apparently, the most expensive though. Hard to believe isn't it?
That's just politicking.

All the time player wages are rising exponentially the club, year on year, will have it's most expensive squad ever.
Quality doesn't come into it.

Plus even if it's just £1 more than last year, it'll still be the most expensive squad ever.

I imagine standing still on player wages would show a significant drop in quality.
Halving the budget would put the Albion in the conference.

Jan 30, 2008
Have we been mugged off more than the average Club, do you think? I had put it down mostly to general wage inflation, but of course made worse by some poor signings.
i've been saying this for some time, obviously some on here will find that leaves a nasty taste in their mouths
regards
DR

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Based on the last couple of games - League 1. There is talent there but this squad needs a damn good kick up the arse.

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
WE will never be promotion all the time Paul Barber is part off our club also we need a new owner who will put money into buy good players.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
WE will never be promotion all the time Paul Barber is part off our club also we need a new owner who will put money into buy good players.

You have something in common with Scott McGleish and Dougie Freedman...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Jeez. It's tripe like this that annoys me.

Open your ears and listen to fellow fans/supporters/Customers.

The reason were not happy is that we had a potential team capable of automatic promotion 2 years ago, it got stripped a little bit and we just missed out losing to Palarse, then the following summer it got stripped again but still managed to make the playoffs only to be outclassed by Derby, then last summer it got totally stripped again and now the football this season has been S**t!

Derby did not rip there side apart after failing to go up, they strengthened their squad, and now EVERYBODY thinks there the team to beat.

The fans feel short changed, mainly due to the lack of inspired signings, especially after selling the absolute spine of the team. It doesn't matter if people supported Brighton from the 60's onwards or started when the move to the Amex occured, they are still entitled to feel the club should be punching higher up the league. However 3 drab transfer windows have now sucked the Albion soul from lots of fans.

Just my humble opinion.

I feel very short-changed by Tony Bloom stumping up £200m on a stadium and training ground. What a tight-wad.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We are in a relegation struggle and hopefully heading for safety.

It is not so much the money we have spent as how we have spent it. Signings have been inadequate but hopefully with the current management there is going to be improvement.

A striker is the key but proven ones at this level cost the earth. We need our scouting network to find a new Ulloa.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
As 70% of our history has been spent in the bottom two divisions, I would suggest that a decent run in the Championship is pretty good going. The trouble is that we now have a newer fanbase who do not have the depth of experience to put our present position into prospective.
We are competing with a number of clubs at this level who have a far more distinguished pedigree than ours and thus have even greater desire to recapture past glories. The following would all consider themselves to be bigger than BHA and more worthy of higher status.
1) Derby, Middsboro, Ipswich, Nottm F, Cardiff, Blackburn, Norwich, Fulham, Wolves, Sheff Wed, Birmingham, Leeds and Bolton.
Charlton over the years have tended to out perform us and Huddersfield and Blackpool's rich past is quite a long time ago, but they too have tended to finish above us. That leaves Wigan, relative newbies but a very good recent pedigree.
That only leaves 6 clubs and I would place 5 of them on an historical par with us.
2) Bournemouth, Brentford, Reading, Millwall and Watford. That only leaves Rotherham, as a club with a smaller pedigree than us.
So, the last three seasons have really been ones of over-achievement, considering the strength of our competition. I'm not saying we can't compete ( Bournemth, Brentford and Watford are proving that ) just that our current situation needs to be put into proper perspective. We will get stronger under CH but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Agree,at last it is beginning to sink in its not the place to be if you are not in the top ten places in the Premiership,far better to have a regular top half of the table position tn the Championship playing attacking,entertaining football in a first rate stadium

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here