Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are we; where are we heading?

Jan 30, 2008
Does it matter what we do on the pitch, ?not sure anymore ,TB is a fantastic chairman, but seems like he would rather build a new hotel ect than build a prem bound team ,hope im wrong !!
probably make more money out of that venture:whistle:
regards
DR

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Div 1 mate and back to reality , seen it all and to be honest it isn't important to me any more, been there got the t shirt
regards
DR

Cheer up Das, you can always hope for something like Mansfield or Posh away in the cup to keep you interested! :)

Jan 30, 2008
Cheer up Das, you can always hope for something like Mansfield or Posh away in the cup to keep you interested! :)
I'm ok mate:) the clubs gone down hill ,who you place the blame on is up to you, as poyet said you will not see the calibre of players he had at the club for a long time :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
On the brighter side...

If Albion survive this year, it will be only the second period in their history that they have lasted above the Third Division for longer than four seasons.

We should be looking at who to thank rather than who to blame. No clues needed.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I'm ok mate:) the clubs gone down hill ,who you place the blame on is up to you, as poyet said you will not see the calibre of players he had at the club for a long time :thumbsup:
regards
DR

I've often heard the story of Poyet saying on the arrival of Barber, that it wouldn't take him long to dismantle everything he had built.

Jan 30, 2008
On the brighter side...

If Albion survive this year, it will be only the second period in their history that they have lasted above the Third Division for longer than four seasons.

thanks for what, what have we acheived in the last four seasons , lets keep it real
regards
DR

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
On the brighter side...

Yes, true. I trust TB & am eternally grateful to him for where we are, as I am to Dick Knight for saving my club. I never dreamed we would be where we are.
Just want us to punch on.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
thanks for what, what have we acheived in the last four seasons , lets keep it real
regards
DR

Two seasons in the play-offs, out of four, is a monumental achievement for a club that was almost wiped off the map less than two decades ago. The AMEX is a huge achievement for a club that was stuck in a dilapidated athletics stadium for 12 years. We have gone from being a club which had a lot of sympathy, but was seen as an irrelevance, to a club which has an incredible amount of respect in many circles.

In September we host Rugby World Cup fixtures. And who grudgingly lost out to us ? Southampton, a newly established Premier League outfit.

Every time I see away fans visiting the AMEX for the first time my chest pumps out in pride. As an Arsenal fan in that situation said to me: "This ground would fit comfortably in the Premier League, but it may take time" He is right.

Crikey, if England bid to host the 2028 Euros we'll be sticking our name forward.

That, to me, is major progress.

Jan 30, 2008
Two seasons in the play-offs, out of four, is a monumental achievement for a club that was almost wiped off the map less than two decades ago. The AMEX is a huge achievement for a club that was stuck in a dilapidated athletics stadium for 12 years. We have gone from being a club which had a lot of sympathy, but was seen as an irrelevance, to a club which has an incredible amount of respect in many circles.

In September we host Rugby World Cup fixtures. And who grudgingly lost out to us ? Southampton, a newly established Premier League outfit.

Every time I see away fans visiting the AMEX for the first time my chest pumps out in pride. As an Arsenal fan in that situation said to me: "This ground would fit comfortably in the Premier League, but it may take time" He is right.

Crikey, if England bid to host the 2028 Euros we'll be sticking our name forward.

That, to me, is major progress.
sounds good, but the reality is we're 3rd from bottom and lost to the bottom club last saturday
regards
DR

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
sounds good, but the reality is we're 3rd from bottom and lost to the bottom club last saturday
regards
DR

Yes, and we all know that poor playing decisions have been made this year. We shouldn't be where we are.

But think about this. Ipswich Town have been in this league 12 seasons, Leeds United :)bowdown: !) have been no higher than 7th in the last ten. Once you reach this stage so many clubs become much of a muchness. It's good to be one of them.

But we are football fans, egotistical, emotional creatures. We want more. It's hard to make sober assessments. But in our frustration it is calming to look back and be proud of how far we have come.

The Premier League isn't waiting for us like a date that has been stood up. And she has a lot of suitors.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
This - I agree we are currently above our historical "norm" and we should be enjoying the ride for as long as it lasts. But it would be a little sad if back-to-back play-offs in the championship is as high as we are going to get in the foreseeable future.

What a load of shit

History should only be used as reference.

Bournemouth & brentford have never played in the top division in English football so should they now step aside & let
The more established teams take their places.

The league table never lies

The more goals you score the more successful you will be
The less goals you concede the more successfull you will be.

If you can put those 2 components together it dosent matter how little or how much history your club has had in the past

You will be successfull

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
My opinion is that we didn't do anything in this transfer window because we are in trouble ( position wise ) when all our players are fit we have a good squad.As long as we Don't finish any lower than 4th from bottom then we will start next season with the same manager that we ended this one with.If that's the case then we will have a good opportunity to buy well in the summer and start our new season with a chance of top 6,maybe even top 2.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What a load of shit

Bournemouth & brentford have never played in the top division in English football so should they now step aside & let

If you can put those 2 components together it dosent matter how little or how much history your club has had in the past

You will be successfull

Yes, but that is one season. We know little of their long term prospects.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Our future next season will be dependent on signing the 28 year old experienced players of the right quality, with the right mindset (not QPR rejects) and this will mean paying high wages. It would better if we get younger players but then a transfer fee will be involved.

The Albion do play high wages. We were 8th biggest in 12/13, almost certainly there or thereabouts for 13/14 and TB had said the budget when up this year. We might have the wrong players who might or might not perform but we have competitive salaries on offer.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
What a load of shit

You will be successfull

But scoring and conceding are a product of the players you have.

The players you attract are a product of wages paid and prospects.

Wages paid are a product of income, match day and commercial (under FFP).

Match day attendances and commercial income are both driven by the reputation of the club.

REPUTATION IS A PRODUCT OF THE HISTORY OF THE CLUB.

Success breeds success and that's why clubs do have a "natural position" in the 92 and sustained movement significantly way from that position, although possible, is much harder than some people believe.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Where are we? We are 1 place above the relegation zone following 2 seasons in the playoffs, which is very poor. The club's board made a dreadful appointment in Hyypia and took far, far too long to rectify their error. Similarly, Burke and his team repeatedly failed to deliver, resulting in a steadily weakened squad. Again, the club took far, far too long to address the issue. We are still paying the price for the board's indecisiveness.

Where are we heading? Now, TBF the club has taken significant (belated) steps forward by appointing Chris Hughton and allowing him to call the shots, not only on players, but also his backroom, including player recruitment, staff. This should be enough to keep us up this season, but there remains a reasonable risk that we will be relegated. If the worst happens, then it will be an unmitigated disaster, setting us back years. Here's hoping the club's third poor transfer window in a row, because that is what it is, is compensated by the return from injury of Kaz and Stephens, and maybe 1 more loan of the oh so obviously needed wide player. My gut feel is that we should have pushed the boat out in Jan to ensure survival; we seem to have taken too big a risk.

If we survive, I expect us to bounce back next season to a top 10 (at least) club.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
No way has the club gone down hill. That is utter nonsense. The club is better off than it has ever been.

That's not right. You could argue that we are financially in better shape (although we are still losing money every year). Our Chairman is undoubtedly the best benefactor we have ever had. And the Amex of course is a peach.

However the squad is not better than it has ever been. Not by a long shot. Bit of a conundrum, isn't it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
UK
That's not right. You could argue that we are financially in better shape (although we are still losing money every year). Our Chairman is undoubtedly the best benefactor we have ever had. And the Amex of course is a peach.

However the squad is not better than it has ever been. Not by a long shot. Bit of a conundrum, isn't it?

It is, apparently, the most expensive though. Hard to believe isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here