Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When will the Premier League play in fromnt of full houses again?

When will the Premier League play in front of full houses again?

• Start of 21/22 season

Votes: 86 37.6%
  • 1st January 2022

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • Start of 22/23 season

Votes: 94 41.0%

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Melbourne fans scared by Aussie Open return

A bit of a glimpse into the future when fans can possibly return to some sporting events in limited numbers this Summer. A need to creat highly sterile sanitised environments with strict social distancing, seperate zones that fans must stick to and frequent cleaning stations. THere will be a big reluctance also as with Merlbroune for people to return in mass numbers to such crowded events.

This isn’t comparable. Australia are yet to administer a single vaccination.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
[SUB][/SUB]
Bet I don’t!

The concept of sitting anywhere with a mask With people ready to jump on you sounds like hell

Rather have people round and save the cash
Maybe they'll do it like you used to for standing: home fans must all sit down, away fans can all stand up, home fans must all wear masks, away fans don't have to.

The thread was about when football could play in fromnt of full houses again, so restrictions in terms of behaviour isn't really the issue.

There will be some people (like me) who wouldn't go to the football if they had to wear masks while in the crowd during the match - but I could cope with other mask based restrictions, such as on transport or in the concourse for some of the time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Given the Government's distaste for football generally, probably not for a couple of years.

Rugby, horse sports: fill your boots. Football oiks: no chance. You hug or grapple each other too much. Sniff.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
If the optimism about vaccination is correct then why not before the end of the current season?

I think the progress we’re making in our vaccination drive is a remarkable achievement and will take us to a much better place by the summer. However, I’ve now come to accept that the tickets I have for the Euros aren’t going to be getting used.

Of all of the things we took for granted as part of our normal life, capacity stadiums will be the among the last things to return because, by definition, social distancing can’t be enforced. Before we can go back to a world whereby social distancing is no longer required in any form, we need to reach a state of herd immunity. For this to happen, any vaccine needs to significantly reduce transmission - or achieve ‘sterilising immunity’ (where the recipient can no longer suffer the symptoms of the virus or pass it on).

Without this, there will still be a proportion of society who remain vulnerable. Possibly enough to cause the NHS serious problems, but almost certainly too many for such a cohort to be considered ‘collateral damage’ for the sake of reopening full stadiums.

We’re still awaiting meaningful data about the effects on transmission, though early signs of the AZ vaccine were initially positive. Unfortunately, the emergence of the South African variant has probably now buggered this for a little while longer, given that it seems there is little impact on mild illness, suggesting it would remain transmissible.

I am confident that this year will be significantly better than last in terms of our freedoms - I think that by May / June we’re going to have 99% of the economy up and running again and very few people becoming seriously ill with Covid. I do think however it will remain bumpy for events and the international travel industry into the early part of 2022.

We’ll get there though, mark my words. Don’t believe the doomsayers. I’m talking about maybe another year before we’re back to the old normal, not forever, with much of it coming much, much sooner.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Spot on! Next, you'll be 'Potter in' :wink:

This isn’t comparable. Australia are yet to administer a single vaccination.

....and they don't have thousands or hundreds of daily cases either either which we will almost certainly have when we cautiously tip toe out of lockdown and into lesser restrictions but still restrictions on sporting events all the same.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
....and they don't have thousands or hundreds of daily cases either either which we will almost certainly have when we cautiously tip toe out of lockdown and into lesser restrictions but still restrictions on sporting events all the same.

I sense a lot of anxiety in your posts on Covid. Please don't take that as a criticism, I've hardly been free from anxiety myself in the last year - who has? However, you appear to be anticipating a narrative whereby we are trapped in a never-ending cycle of lockdowns and perpetual social distancing.

I don't necessarily think that the global exit strategy is going to be straightforward, trouble-free or necessarily quick. I think we can count ourselves very lucky to be citizens of a medium-sized and wealthy nation. The path to recovery for the likes of India and Brazil will not be an easy one.

But I do think that we will get back to something very close to the old normal. By 'very close', I simply mean that there will be some subtle changes to human behaviour - we'll respect each other's personal space more, may look differently at the blowing out of candles on the birthday cake, and I certainly won't be dragging my diseased arse into the office, coughing and spluttering into the faces of my colleagues (something I used to wear as a bit of a badge of honour - "I'm way too hard to be off ill, me"). Not really bad things as such, just subtle changes and probably for the better in many instances.

There is just too much economic and scientific weight behind the cause. Less than a year since the initial UK lockdown, we have a series of vaccines and treatments that will make the problem way, way better in just a matter of weeks. It won't be a complete resolution, but we'll be 90% of the way there and I'm confident that modern science and medicine will ultimately navigate the curveballs that Covid throws our way, of which I'm sure the SA variant won't be the last.

As per my post above, I'm now less optimistic that we'll be in a state of total normality in this calendar year, but I do think it's eminently possible by early next. Perhaps not globally, that will take longer, but even that will happen. My grandparents got through six years of WWII (incidentally my grandfather spent several of them fighting for his life at the hands of a killer lung disease in South Africa of all places) - this will not take that long, nor will it be remotely as arduous or frightening for the overwhelming majority of us.

Find the positives, and try to be more positive in general. That British generations born after September 1945 had enjoyed an almost continuous period of relative peace, freedom, good public health and prosperity all the way up to 2020 is actually almost unprecedented in our history. The world has been always been a turbulent place - we've been fortunate and we shouldn't allow ourselves to wallow in our own self-pity.

This too shall pass and when it does we should focus our collective energy and focus into proactivly averting future disasters. Climate change and antibotic resistance probably being good places to start.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They don’t even know how long the vaccine lasts for. It like the flu jan (one year), football ain’t returning for several years with full crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmmmm....

I doubt it.

I blocked a couple of 'carry on regardless' types last summer for their relentless economy-firstery. Now we have vaccines....

...there will of course be 'rules and restrictions'. And I won't go to games till this stops (it would freak me out to be honest).

But....when I next change my emoji (and I have a cracker saved) it will be time to embrace normal again. Even if we are officially requested to not.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I sense a lot of anxiety in your posts on Covid. Please don't take that as a criticism, I've hardly been free from anxiety myself in the last year - who has? However, you appear to be anticipating a narrative whereby we are trapped in a never-ending cycle of lockdowns and perpetual social distancing.

I don't necessarily think that the global exit strategy is going to be straightforward, trouble-free or necessarily quick. I think we can count ourselves very lucky to be citizens of a medium-sized and wealthy nation. The path to recovery for the likes of India and Brazil will not be an easy one.

But I do think that we will get back to something very close to the old normal. By 'very close', I simply mean that there will be some subtle changes to human behaviour - we'll respect each other's personal space more, may look differently at the blowing out of candles on the birthday cake, and I certainly won't be dragging my diseased arse into the office, coughing and spluttering into the faces of my colleagues (something I used to wear as a bit of a badge of honour - "I'm way too hard to be off ill, me"). Not really bad things as such, just subtle changes and probably for the better in many instances.

There is just too much economic and scientific weight behind the cause. Less than a year since the initial UK lockdown, we have a series of vaccines and treatments that will make the problem way, way better in just a matter of weeks. It won't be a complete resolution, but we'll be 90% of the way there and I'm confident that modern science and medicine will ultimately navigate the curveballs that Covid throws our way, of which I'm sure the SA variant won't be the last.

As per my post above, I'm now less optimistic that we'll be in a state of total normality in this calendar year, but I do think it's eminently possible by early next. Perhaps not globally, that will take longer, but even that will happen. My grandparents got through six years of WWII (incidentally my grandfather spent several of them fighting for his life at the hands of a killer lung disease in South Africa of all places) - this will not take that long, nor will it be remotely as arduous or frightening for the overwhelming majority of us.

Find the positives, and try to be more positive in general. That British generations born after September 1945 had enjoyed an almost continuous period of relative peace, freedom, good public health and prosperity all the way up to 2020 is actually almost unprecedented in our history. The world has been always been a turbulent place - we've been fortunate and we shouldn't allow ourselves to wallow in our own self-pity.

This too shall pass and when it does we should focus our collective energy and focus into proactivly averting future disasters. Climate change and antibotic resistance probably being good places to start.

Two superb posts today :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Very well said

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

A healthy dose of perspective. We're in the shit bit right now - it can be hard to see out at points.

But this ends. All pandemics have ended. How soon is the only question.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There are a lot of confidently expressed opinions on this thread but the spread of votes in the poll probably best captures the uncertain reality. The science and the virus itself are fast changing. It is quite possible that 2021 will resemble 2020 with a successful Summer of the virus in retreat and this time the completion of the first round of the vaccination programme. This may be followed by a difficult Winter of viral mutations and resurgence with the cold weather. Fans are highly likely to be in stadiums next season, but full houses ? Who knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here