Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When will the Premier League play in fromnt of full houses again?

When will the Premier League play in front of full houses again?

• Start of 21/22 season

Votes: 86 37.6%
  • 1st January 2022

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • Start of 22/23 season

Votes: 94 41.0%

• Total voters

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I virtually never start threads, so please be gentle with me.

Had a heated disagreement with my son today over when we can expect full houses at football again

So what chance do you think premier league football will be played in front of packed crowd again at this dates

1. start of next season?
2. january 1st 2022?
3. start of 22/23?

My guesses

1. 10%
2. 25%
3. 90%

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
If we are all going to get a vaccine by the autumn, then I would guess late this year. If we can’t go back to full crowds shortly after we’ve all had the vaccine then what steps are left that will allow full crowds?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I virtually never start threads, so please be gentle with me.

Had a heated disagreement with my son today over when we can expect full houses at football again

So what chance do you think premier league football will be played in front of packed crowd again at this dates

1. start of next season?
2. january 1st 2022?
3. start of 22/23?

My guesses

1. 10%
2. 25%
3. 90%

Your figures are all quite depressing if I'm honest. That's not to say they're not realistic; just depressing.

I'd be interested to hear your rationale though. August should enable us to have vaccinated most if not all of the willing adult population, so why 10%. Similarly, what's ever so slightly better but still not very good by New Year's Day next year.

And most intriguingly, why 90% come the start of the following season. What difference does that 10% make? It's not going to facilitate any kind of social distancing - 69,000 people spilling out of Old Trafford is still going to transmit quite a lot of virus, assuming it's still a meaningful problem at that time.

Personally I would be astounded if we are not back to full capacities by the beginning of next season. The only reason we have allowed our economy (and not to mention our liberties) to become completely decimated is the potentially catyclismic impact on hospitalisations and deaths. I am optimistic that this will no longer be a significant problem by August. But then I'm ever the optimist.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
If we are all going to get a vaccine by the autumn, then I would guess late this year. If we can’t go back to full crowds shortly after we’ve all had the vaccine then what steps are left that will allow full crowds?

My 10% chance of it not being back to normal by the strt of 22/23 included there being a new strain which is resistant to the vaccine or the vaccine being proved ineffective/dangerous

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Your figures are all quite depressing if I'm honest. That's not to say they're not realistic; just depressing.

I'd be interested to hear your rationale though. August should enable us to have vaccinated most if not all of the willing adult population, so why 10%. Similarly, what's ever so slightly better but still not very good by New Year's Day next year.

And most intriguingly, why 90% come the start of the following season. What difference does that 10% make? It's not going to facilitate any kind of social distancing - 69,000 people spilling out of Old Trafford is still going to transmit quite a lot of virus, assuming it's still a meaningful problem at that time.

Personally I would be astounded if we are not back to full capacities by the beginning of next season. The only reason we have allowed our economy (and not to mention our liberties) to become completely decimated is the potentially catyclismic impact on hospitalisations and deaths. I am optimistic that this will no longer be a significant problem by August. But then I'm ever the optimist.

Copied from another reply:

My 10% chance of it not being back to normal by the start of 22/23 included there being a new strain which is resistant to the vaccine or the vaccine being proved ineffective/dangerous

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

55 million adults in the UK, 2 million vaccinations a week, we’ll all be vaccinated by July.

Not taking account of the millions of pandemic deniers who’ll refuse the vaccines.

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing

Do you really think the vaccinations will be the be all & end all? Do you really think we will be back to full capacity by August? I feel This will go on for years now. I really hope you are right though. I, personally just don't share your optimism

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
My 10% chance of it not being back to normal by the strt of 22/23 included there being a new strain which is resistant to the vaccine or the vaccine being proved ineffective/dangerous

My understanding of the vaccine (or at least one of them), is that the bit it trains the body to attack is a protein on the outside of the virus. This protein is the part of the virus that means it’s able to get into our cells. Therefore if the virus mutates to something the vaccine doesn’t work on it will also have mutated in a way that makes it much less effective at getting into our cells.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
55 million adults in the UK, 2 million vaccinations a week, we’ll all be vaccinated by July.

Not taking account of the millions of pandemic deniers who’ll refuse the vaccines.

I haven’t been keeping up with the pace of vaccinations, I just remember the government originally targeting the autumn for every adult to have been offered it. If it’s quicker then great.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
No way any football with supporters for the rest of this season and I suspect we will still will be very playing in front of small crowds this time next year.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I had a stroke a couple of months ago and my typing has gone to shite as I can barely use my left hand any more.

Apologies.

Sorry to hear that. Hope your recovery is going well.
My guess is option 2. Infection rates will likely still be high in the spring/summer as under 16s and most adults will not have been vaccinated, even if deaths have reduced. I would expect a phased return of fans to stadiums.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I enjoyed the sarcasm of your second sentence. You can be sure they will do no such thing and will be the first ones moaning if their vaccination is late. In a perfect world someone in authority would be taking names and bumping them to the bottom of the list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here