Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will it time to start worrying about Russia?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't see Russia as the aggressor in this, and it is one major power in a unipolar world making up rules as it goes along that has led us to the point where we are now.

We could quite easily say that the US is leading us into an arms race, bearing in mind they are the number one suppliers in it.

Historically the balance of power always shifts from bipolar to unipolar and multipolar, its as a direct consequence of the anarchical nature of the international system.

Its really impossible to point fingers: the US is trying to hold on to its status as the most powerful country in the world as it sees the rise of other competing countries as a direct threat to its safety. Russia on the other hand perceives the US actions as a result of trying to hold on to its power as a threat to its safety and the existence of a US led coalition (NATO) on its door step a particular area of concern and responds accordingly. In this instance all parties are actually occurring perfectly rationally!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Historically the balance of power always shifts from bipolar to unipolar and multipolar, its as a direct consequence of the anarchical nature of the international system.

Its really impossible to point fingers: the US is trying to hold on to its status as the most powerful country in the world as it sees the rise of other competing countries as a direct threat to its safety. Russia on the other hand perceives the US actions as a result of trying to hold on to its power as a threat to its safety and the existence of a US led coalition (NATO) on its door step a particular area of concern and responds accordingly. In this instance all parties are actually occurring perfectly rationally!

Personally I don't think the US has acted rationally since the invasion of Iraq. I cannot bring myself to be on the Saudi side in this which one has to be if you side with the US. The US is a threat to itself not Russia being a threat to them.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The clue is in the name. Right Sector.

I don't know much about Ukraine politics, but looking up what you are saying, it doesn't appear to be a squeaking clean country itself. Putin probably has more justification with Ukraine than the US does with its proxy war in Syria against a sovereign state.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Personally I don't think the US has acted rationally since the invasion of Iraq. I cannot bring myself to be on the Saudi side in this which one has to be if you side with the US. The US is a threat to itself not Russia being a threat to them.

I partly agree with you in the fact that the US is a danger to itself, the US has been behaving the same as every predominant power has done throughout history. In the absence of a threat to its power they have taken on too many tasks beyond their own borders which has ultimately weakened them in the long run.

The bit I think you are missing here is its not about whether Russia is a threat or not its the fact that other countries cannot be sure if they are a threat or not and that it is this uncertainty that will govern the response of the US and its allies.

In the same way Russia has looked at the expansion of NATO closer to its boarders with suspicion and this has been a contributory factor in its involvement in Ukraine. Whether or not NATO actually poses a threat to Russia is actually neither here nor there.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I partly agree with you in the fact that the US is a danger to itself, the US has been behaving the same as every predominant power has done throughout history. In the absence of a threat to its power they have taken on too many tasks beyond their own borders which has ultimately weakened them in the long run.

The bit I think you are missing here is its not about whether Russia is a threat or not its the fact that other countries cannot be sure if they are a threat or not and that it is this uncertainty that will govern the response of the US and its allies.

In the same way Russia has looked at the expansion of NATO closer to its boarders with suspicion and this has been a contributory factor in its involvement in Ukraine. Whether or not NATO actually poses a threat to Russia is actually neither here nor there.

Yep, I see what you're saying. This has given NATO an opportunity to posture itself with border troops in Europe, which is quite convenient for them really as an excuse to. Handbags in reality and doesn't mean that much to what is going on in Syria. It's almost like just trying to save face in looking proactive more than anything meaningful.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

This is quite interesting - Putin's take on ISIS

Hmm I've actually changed my view now, I'm always saying the media f***s with peoples heads n never listen to them n seems I've been deceived

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hmm I've actually changed my view now, I'm always saying the media f***s with peoples heads n never listen to them n seems I've been deceived

This is why when you stated on another thread that there were more important things going on in the world, i stated that i was not worried about Russia as a threat to us, just my opinion i know, but i think Putin's action against ISIS is a good thing.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

This is quite interesting - Putin's take on ISIS

Many have questioned the yanks and had major doubts about them....Putin couldn't have put that better and it's clear he knows a lot more than we think.
It's no wonder the yanks are getting twitchy at every angle and using the media to make Russia look bad....Time will come soon when the yanks will be sussed as they're ridiculously power hungry and the problems caused throughout the world land on their doorstep.

Like I said before....If we want a more peaceful planet then Putin is the man to follow not Obama.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This is why when you stated on another thread that there were more important things going on in the world, i stated that i was not worried about Russia as a threat to us, just my opinion i know, but i think Putin's action against ISIS is a good thing.
Yeah I see, I was more having a dig at politicians saying the country's skint when it really isnt

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'd be very worried about Russia if I were a F1 driver who has just crashed at their shitty racetrack. Poorly constructed crash barriers and not getting treatment for 5 minutes - what a mickey mouse of an event.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yeah I see, I was more having a dig at politicians saying the country's skint when it really isnt

Yep, i know what you mean, i get annoyed when i see that they can drum up cash for others yet our NHS and other things for our own are left with shortages.
Many disagree with my opinions but that is their choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here