Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will it time to start worrying about Russia?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Al Qaeda and Isis are not one and the same. It's complicated (as Gus would have said) but it's worth understanding.

A long read but pretty necessary I think to understand what is actually happening in these countries and why it's such a bloody mess, and will continue to be so....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/10/how-isis-crippled-al-qaida

Any amount of fannying about by us, the US or Russia isn't going to change this. Note the fact that Isis is basically now run by the same crew "we" kicked out of Iraq. So that worked well then.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
British troops now going to the Baltic states.

Looks like a 'tripwire' deployment which if engaged by any russian invading forces will result in a full russia-nato war.

Are Syria and the russian planes flying into Turkish airspace suspected as being a decoy for Putin trying something in the North ? ???

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
What happens when the fee Syrian army start shooting down Russian Helicopter gun ships with American Stingers.they took out some tanks with American Weapons .

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Why worry about Russia? sure they are a bit wildcat and can and will be a nuisance to the west, but they have no significant allies, they have limited global presence ( Syria and Cuba at best).... and whilst some of their equipment is of decent standard, most of it is standard and thinly spread across the largest nation on earth.

Note: nuclear debate is separate of course, but would never be used offensively....only if their homeland is threatened.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Why worry about Russia? sure they are a bit wildcat and can and will be a nuisance to the west, but they have no significant allies, they have limited global presence ( Syria and Cuba at best).... and whilst some of their equipment is of decent standard, most of it is standard and thinly spread across the largest nation on earth.

Note: nuclear debate is separate of course, but would never be used offensively....only if their homeland is threatened.

I think you would be surprised at how many countries support the Russian view, or at least not completely against it. Currently their fighting coalition comprises of the Syrian sovereign state government, Iran, Iraq, Hezbollah and the Kurds. They are the only ones who are willing to put boots on the ground and can fight ISIS which is quite significant if the end game is defeating ISIS. China is also on their side so it will be very difficult to sanction any viable action against Russia via the UN.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
and frankly, I dont want the country to go to war with the Russians, because the Americans have had their noses put out of joint regarding a civil war in Syria.

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I think you would be surprised at how many countries support the Russian view, or at least not completely against it. Currently their fighting coalition comprises of the Syrian sovereign state government, Iran, Iraq, Hezbollah and the Kurds. They are the only ones who are willing to put boots on the ground and can fight ISIS which is quite significant if the end game is defeating ISIS. China is also on their side so it will be very difficult to sanction any viable action against Russia via the UN.
There is no love lost between Russia and China,...that's for certain.....

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
and frankly, I dont want the country to go to war with the Russians, because the Americans have had their noses put out of joint regarding a civil war in Syria.

The US shouldn't have been supplying arms to the rebels and encouraging a violent uprising anyway. You cannot bomb a country into democracy and destroy state institutions like in Iraq and Libya. It's the most undemoratic way to bring about democracy.

One of the things that really gets my goat is that the US blames the rise of ISIS on Assad. :shrug: How can we believe anything they say when they come out with rhetoric like that?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Its not so much Russia in Isolation that we have to worry about but more the affect that a resurgent Russia could have on the overall balance of power. Until now the US, UK, France have been relatively inactive in response to Russia aggression however a possible response might be a build up of the military in the balkans which could prompt a further Russian build up and possibly an arms race. Then you have to think about how other major military players like China and Japan would respond to other world countries rearming and the affect that their response could have on that region.

The US doesn't really have the ability or will anymore to be the worlds policeman and some of their traditional allies like Japan are starting to realise this and as a result have recently changed their pacifist constitution. These are clear signs that we have shifted from a unipolar world (one major power) to a multipolar world (multiple powers) which historically is more unstable and prone to conflict.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What happens when the fee Syrian army start shooting down Russian Helicopter gun ships with American Stingers.they took out some tanks with American Weapons .

you mean like 1980's Afganistan? probably the same as then, nothing, except maybe us sending in Timothy Dalton to sort it all out.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Its not so much Russia in Isolation that we have to worry about but more the affect that a resurgent Russia could have on the overall balance of power. Until now the US, UK, France have been relatively inactive in response to Russia aggression however a possible response might be a build up of the military in the balkans which could prompt a further Russian build up and possibly an arms race. Then you have to think about how other major military players like China and Japan would respond to other world countries rearming and the affect that their response could have on that region.

The US doesn't really have the ability or will anymore to be the worlds policeman and some of their traditional allies like Japan are starting to realise this and as a result have recently changed their pacifist constitution. These are clear signs that we have shifted from a unipolar world (one major power) to a multipolar world (multiple powers) which historically is more unstable and prone to conflict.

I don't see Russia as the aggressor in this, and it is one major power in a unipolar world making up rules as it goes along that has led us to the point where we are now.

We could quite easily say that the US is leading us into an arms race, bearing in mind they are the number one suppliers in it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Al Qaeda and Isis are not one and the same. It's complicated (as Gus would have said) but it's worth understanding.

A long read but pretty necessary I think to understand what is actually happening in these countries and why it's such a bloody mess, and will continue to be so....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/10/how-isis-crippled-al-qaida

Any amount of fannying about by us, the US or Russia isn't going to change this. Note the fact that Isis is basically now run by the same crew "we" kicked out of Iraq. So that worked well then.

The only way the Russian action makes any sense is if, having cleared the country of Assad's enemies, it them makes him use Russian business to rebuild the country.

I also wouldn't put it past Putin to shoot down one of his own planes, then blame Turkey (and by association NATO) for the deed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The only way the Russian action makes any sense is if, having cleared the country of Assad's enemies, it them makes him use Russian business to rebuild the country.

I also wouldn't put it past Putin to shoot down one of his own planes, then blame Turkey (and by association NATO) for the deed.
It also makes sense to block a proposed gas pipeline from Qatar to Europe via Syria, which would reduce dependency on Russian gas.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't see Russia as the aggressor in this, and it is one major power in a unipolar world making up rules as it goes along that has led us to the point where we are now.

We could quite easily say that the US is leading us into an arms race, bearing in mind they are the number one suppliers in it.

I didn't know the Yanks made AK-47's ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here