Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When we were promoted, would you have taken three seasons in the Premier League?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I made a point of going to as many away games as possible in that first season for the simple reason that that it could have been our one and only term in the PL. In total I managed fourteen trips and apart from the Swansea game I never saw the Albion win a game! :down:
This was exactly where I was at too - taking my son to as many away games in that first season and just being happy to be there, with the very real reality we would only be there for one season. Since that first year it then became a case of can we survive again and is this what every season is going to feel like ?! Last season was the real turning point - securing a top half finish and being very competitive on the pitch against the big clubs - that was the point I finally felt that we had arrived and we belonged in the PL and weren’t just there now to make up the numbers. Clubs and other supporters would finally take us seriously. The next milestone for me is to see us make it to a cup final - another big day out at Wembley, and dare to dream of putting a trophy in our cabinet ! Obviously it would be an amazing achievement to qualify for a European competition, but winning a trophy - an FA Cup or Carabao Cup would put me in dreamland at this point ! So come on boys, no messing around at Boro tomorrow !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Probably not. Not necessarily because I had any sense we were going to achieve more than that, more because I don't fear relegation to the Championship. I don't necessarily welcome it, but I don't see going down to it as a disaster to be avoided at all costs.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
No, because it would have been the fulfilment of the ‘Teams like Brighton’ brigade who naturally assumed that this was another flash in pan (a la Huddersfield, Bradford City, Barnsley et al) or at best another yo-yo club. Plus the fact that Palace, Burnley and Saints had at that time established themselves, and it would be almost a failure not to have done the same. Having got to the promised land, I would have been disappointed, but not surprised, had it lasted only three seasons.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’d have taken 2 seasons for the practical reason of it giving an extra year’s worth of parachute payments. I always thought that if we did go down, we were sufficiently well run to not leave ourselves with a crippling PL legacy wage bill meaning that that extra 80-90 million over 3 years would’ve been enough to see us back up again.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Possibly, but it wouldn't have been an enjoyable ride. Hovering on the fringe was bad enough. We are still only four years away from potential non-league oblivion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No real answer to the question obviously, but the squad was poor for the first three years and keeping it up was a remarkable achievement by CH (season 1 and 2) and GP (season 3) and the boys at the time.
Between season 2 and season 3 we added Webster, Lamptey (pre injury, still quick), Maupay. Trossard and MacAllister (played in the last game against Burnley). Burn and Bissouma had become established players. We had far better players at our disposal in season 3 compared to season 2.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Between season 2 and season 3 we added Webster, Lamptey (pre injury, still quick), Maupay. Trossard and MacAllister (played in the last game against Burnley). Burn and Bissouma had become established players. We had far better players at our disposal in season 3 compared to season 2.
Neither Lamptey nor a young and according to himself unprepared Ali Mac were available for most of season 3, BDB had made 0 performances for Brighton at that point (= not particularly established) and while Maupay arrived, Murray went too old to perform at the adequate level, the club captain had just retired and key player Knockaert left.

You also pointed out between season 4 and 5 that Ben Foster, who had a well-read blog and therefore couldn't be wrong, said that due to the lack of recruitment, Brighton would go down, and in that case the season 3 team must have really been relegation fodder.

But I know you're in complete history revisionism-mode right now and won't be dragged out from it before some famous blogger or twitterer tell you otherwise.

The season 3 squad was weak - the end.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Neither Lamptey nor a young and according to himself unprepared Ali Mac were available for most of season 3, BDB had made 0 performances for Brighton at that point (= not particularly established) and while Maupay arrived, Murray went too old to perform at the adequate level, the club captain had just retired and key player Knockaert left.

You also pointed out between season 4 and 5 that Ben Foster, who had a well-read blog and therefore couldn't be wrong, said that due to the lack of recruitment, Brighton would go down, and in that case the season 3 team must have really been relegation fodder.

But I know you're in complete history revisionism-mode right now and won't be dragged out from it before some famous blogger or twitterer tell you otherwise.

Covid saved us that season without a doubt. We were terrible before the forced break one bright spark was Macalister making his debut at Wolves that’s how desperate it had become.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Covid saved us that season without a doubt. We were terrible before the forced break one bright spark was Macalister making his debut at Wolves that’s how desperate it had become.
Possible it would have been turned around anyway, just like last season when things looked really shit after those six straight losses in the spring.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Possible it would have been turned around anyway, just like last season when things looked really shit after those six straight losses in the spring.
We will never know although Potter had appeared to lose faith in his own philosophy, the West Ham game was basically a Hughton game hitting balls to Murray who had hardly featured under Potter.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Lamptey played 8 games, starting 7. He's started once this season. Burn played 34 games in 2019/20. Maupay scored 10 goals in 2019/20. Stop lying.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We will never know although Potter had appeared to lose faith in his own philosophy, the West Ham game was basically a Hughton game hitting balls to Murray who had hardly featured under Potter.
With 65% possession it must have been A LOT of long balls then.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
14th March 2020 we would have lost to Arsenal at home. Start of #project restart we beat them, the rest is.....

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lamptey played 8 games, starting 7. He's started once this season. Burn played 34 games in 2019/20. Maupay scored 10 goals in 2019/20. Stop lying.
Yeah so when I say that Lamptey wasn't available for most of the season and you say "you're lying, he played 8 games" and when I say that Burn had not made a game before Brightons third season in the PL, what he did in that third season did not make him an "established PL player" before that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
14th March 2020 we would have lost to Arsenal at home. Start of #project restart we beat them, the rest is.....
On April 9 2022 we would have lost to Arsenal away after seven straight winless games (six losses)... but didn't. Without any restart.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah so when I say that Lamptey wasn't available for most of the season and you say "you're lying, he played 8 games" and when I say that Burn had not made a game before Brightons third season in the PL, what he did in that third season did not make him an "established PL player" before that.
34 starts in a 38 game season isn't established?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pop Corn GIF by WWE

2-1 GB

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here