Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When we were promoted, would you have taken three seasons in the Premier League?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Would've bitten your arm off for it.

I remember on the eve of our inaugural Premier League fixture I said to my dad that I want to see three things from our time in the top league:
1. We stay up for a few seasons and remain competitive (don't do a Derby/Huddersfield/Middlesbrough).
2. We get some thrilling shock results along the way against the big boys.
3. We sign some exciting, future stars who make their names at Brighton before going off to bigger and greater things.

Haven't we done that and so much more so far. Remarkable stuff from the club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely! - based purely on the strength of how the players managed to somehow f*ck up being promoted as championes on account of being far more interested in going out on the piss. Would have gladly taken one season in the EPL at that point with that group of players

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Most newly promoted teams don't last more than a season or two (few exceptions, Portsmouth :ROFLMAO:, Stoke and Wigan).

On that basis I would have done.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Interesting discussion point from Johnny Cantor on this week's @The Albion Roar...

When we were first promoted to the Premier League, would you have taken three top-flight seasons if offered to you?
Am half way through listening to this, and 3 seasons yes definitely.
I thought we'd probably go straight down, but as discussed on the podcast our slow and steady progress has been fantastic to see. And as my son has pointed out numerous times, as yet we've never been in the relegation zone(this hasn't been fact checked by me, so he could be wrong)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No. I always had blind faith that Tony Bloom wouldn't settle for it either, and would set about a plan that could keep us there for a while.

Stoke had 10 Premier League seasons
Bolton had 11 Premier League seasons
Charlton had 8 Premier League seasons
MIddlesbrough, Fulham and Blackburn all won trophies during their long(ish) times there.

It doesn't have to follow that clubs our size yo-yo like WBA, Fulham or Norwich.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Would've bitten your arm off for it.

I remember on the eve of our inaugural Premier League fixture I said to my dad that I want to see three things from our time in the top league:
1. We stay up for a few seasons and remain competitive (don't do a Derby/Huddersfield/Middlesbrough).
2. We get some thrilling shock results along the way against the big boys.
3. We sign some exciting, future stars who make their names at Brighton before going off to bigger and greater things.

Haven't we done that and so much more so far. Remarkable stuff from the club.
The jury's out on that right now, no? Unless Dan Burn was signed in the PL-era – I honestly can't remember!

But, in answer to the OP's question – yes, I'd have taken a year!

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I will happily smile through any insults but definitively NO , and without just playing the Tony card , i am playing the TONY BLOOM card . The man is one of life`s winners ( thank heavens ) and i would find it hard to believe he would accept defeat after all the hard work he and everybody else had put in with pure blood sweat tears and hard graft .

Every single thing this club has , began with good people not willing to lie down , TB is the "Keystone" that makes sure that never changes .

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The jury's out on that right now, no? Unless Dan Burn was signed in the PL-era – I honestly can't remember!

But, in answer to the OP's question – yes, I'd have taken a year!
Oh I disagree. We signed Bissouma, Cucurella (lol) and brought through White to the first team and they have been sold for big money to Champions League clubs.

More importantly though, we had 8 players at the World Cup, 7 of which were signed during the PL period, who made their names at Brighton before going off to do bigger things with their countries in Qatar. I guess what I meant back then, is that we'd see some wonderful players in the blue and white stripes who would use the club as a platform to showcase their talent to move on to the next level - whatever that was. I think we've achieved that so far, and are showing no signs of slowing down.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just getting the chance to see the Albion compete for a single season in the Premier League, was more than enough to satisfy me.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Its easier to say no in retrospect obviously, but I will stick with it. I would have wanted and still want us to stay in the EPL as long as possible- relegation is not somewhere I want us to go- partly because the Championship is an extremely difficult division to crawl back out, plus I think existence as a yo-yo club is not really something I’d want Brighton to aspire to.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Oh I disagree. We signed Bissouma, Cucurella (lol) and brought through White to the first team and they have been sold for big money to Champions League clubs.

More importantly though, we had 8 players at the World Cup, 7 of which were signed during the PL period, who made their names at Brighton before going off to do bigger things with their countries in Qatar. I guess what I meant back then, is that we'd see some wonderful players in the blue and white stripes who would use the club as a platform to showcase their talent to move on to the next level - whatever that was. I think we've achieved that so far, and are showing no signs of slowing down.
My point (partly in jest) related to the first two – who haven't exactly set the world alight since they joined their prospective new clubs. Mea culpa, I'd forgotten about BW – partly because I never saw him play, but also because his whole rise to stardom was down to one man – the bucket botherer at Leeds United – so the Albion can take little credit for us.

Yes, the club had a great showing at the WC, but I hadn't classed them as 'going off', as they are still with the club, as opposed to your 'going off' to international tournaments – fair enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here