Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Mondat

Votes: 76 84.4%

• Total voters

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Monday is the first day of the week, according to the international standard for the representation of dates and times ISO 8601. However, in the United States and Canada, Sunday is considered to be the start of the week. This is because of religious reasons.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I’ve never understood why a new week should start on a Sunday. Surely, if it’s down to religion, then Sunday is the 7th day (the day of rest), and then it all starts over again on Monday? Unless you’re Jewish I suppose, then the Sabbath is the Saturday (I think), in which case that’s different. Calendars starting the week on a Sunday are very annoying, and have led to numerous scheduling errors for me in the past.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My business working week is Sunday to Saturday and staff get paid for those days. But employing foriegn students they cant work this out as their week starts on Monday.
Booking hotels I have to take care as some booking sites have Monday as the first day on their calenders.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Monday is the first day of the week, according to the international standard for the representation of dates and times ISO 8601. However, in the United States and Canada, Sunday is considered to be the start of the week. This is because of religious reasons.
Hmmmm. Would say most people I know would deem Monday the beginning of the week in my part of Ontario!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sunday was always considered the first day until a group of nobody’s decided it wasn’t.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’ve never understood why a new week should start on a Sunday. Surely, if it’s down to religion, then Sunday is the 7th day (the day of rest), and then it all starts over again on Monday? Unless you’re Jewish I suppose, then the Sabbath is the Saturday (I think), in which case that’s different. Calendars starting the week on a Sunday are very annoying, and have led to numerous scheduling errors for me in the past.
The Jewish Sabbath goes back over 5000 years, with Sunday being the first day of the week, and the 7th day a day of rest.
When Christianity started, the resurrection was on the first day of the week, so they changed the day of the services to Sunday.
Saturday was a working day right up to the 1950s, with many factories still working on a Saturday morning.
The unions finally won a 40 hour week, where Saturday became part of the weekend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whenever I say it starts. And who's to gainsay me? Eh? EH!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Americans claim Sunday is the first day of the week. They also claim that the month should be written first when writing the date. They simply cannot be trusted with these things.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Monday, but it did start on Weds when I was off the rails more than a few tears ago.
My weekends were from Sat to Tues, very non productive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here