Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did the rot set in?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
When the league began to allow subs.

For me the giving away of Glen Murray is something we have never recovered from,OR CAN YOU THINK OF ANOTHER MAJOR TURNING POINT?:moo:

1) As another has already posted, the appointment of George Curtis as manager.
2) Mike Bamber and the Board behaving as populists instead of running the club as a business resulting in minimal investment in club infrastructure, facilities etc. Their continued, seemingly excessive and sometimes irrational, spending on player salaries and transfers in favour of short term and illusionary gains.
3) Mike Bailey's dismissal, this being further confirmation of '2' and the event that started BHA on the road to Tongdean Lane.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Well it worked for two of our last actual goalscorers, Glen Murray and Ashley Barnes. They got regular abuse from the crowd and it spurred them on to, er, piss off to somewhere where the fans weren't complete bellends.

Tosh. They went for ££££££££. If they have 'emotional' issues because a few people vent at them then they should take up a less pressurised vocation.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
If we'd kept Murray we would be playing the premiership right now. FACT.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
That's nonsense, that's exactly what people keep saying last year and we ended up finishing 4th. It's what happens in the Championship.

We've lost three games in a row, so what? Before that we'd won 5 in 7 or something. I didn't hear people saying something was deeply wrong with the club then. Football teams do not win every single game, and every term goes through bad patches. .
I did! I said if after the QPR game.We won 2-0, but for me we were shit for 75 minutes. The result just papered over the cracks. Not much difference in the Ipswich from the QPR game. Not much difference in the Middlesbrough game than the Ipswich game. Bournemouth, Birmingham, Doncaster, Leeds, Reading, Wigan. None of those performances were overly convincing either.

I could accept it, but I truely believe we have a beter set of players than Burnley.

Off course we will never know, but I sometimes wonder where Leicester or Burnley would be in the league with Oscar in charge. Probably not far off where we are!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Rochdale at home on that Friday night at Withdean when the heavens opened for the whole match, we lost 4-3 and they ran out of ponchos. I for one never recovered from that.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If you believe that your the bellend, Barnes and Murray both wanted more money end of.

Yeah of course that isn't the reason they left, but It can't have helped matters. Why would you stay somewhere where the crowd groan when you step up to take a penalty when you could get more money somewhere else where they don't?

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Losing Bridcutt - you don't become a better team when you lose a player like him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
For me the giving away of Glen Murray is something we have never recovered from,OR CAN YOU THINK OF ANOTHER MAJOR TURNING POINT?:moo:

The 'rot set in' with Poyet's comments about Suarez. The beginning of the end.

If only he had kept his mouth shut.

Relationships started to break down from that point, leading us to where we are now.

Last edited:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Don't think I am panicking just having a crisis of confidence in my team and the current manager. Point me to where I can find the signs you can clearly see that OG is the right man to turn around the problems and the season long lack of goals?
I am serious, what can you see that I can't?

I think the problem is that you are looking at just 1 aspect of a game of football. Its not surprising as its the most visual and exciting part of the game.

we are lucky in the sense that what we lack in scoring goals, we gain in not conceding them (or unlucky maybe). i might be wrong but I think we have 1 point less than what we had this time last season, and if we beat Blackburn we will have 1 point more than last season aswell as being 1 point behind the play-offs.

It is still in our own hands, we just have to keep believing, untill we have no right to believe any more.

I think many rots have set in,building of the away cage north east corner,50p increase to £1.50,the fences going up,selling dean Saunders for £60,000,playing richard tiltman,closing down the supporters club,opening up the supporters club again,the lack of facilities for the 5,000 junior seagulls when going into falmer,but the Murray mistake has cost us £40 million plus that again every year we might have survived in the premier league,i think last season was our chance and it might not come around for many years! THE BIGGEST MISTAKE????

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I think moving to the Amex was the turning point! We have not been promoted once since we went there :wink::wink::wink:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
This:

GS.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here