Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When Brighton gave you the blues

Albion Rob

OK, if SC is not going to decide today I'm going to list my top three worst Albion experiences - remember, whatever happens it hopefully won't get worse than these:

1) Sudbury at home in the cup. Dreadful. We were useless. I think it was a o-o draw or maybe 1-1, but I remember that we never looked like beating them at any point. We took some awful pens and I remember walking away from the ground, literally unable to speak, thinking of the barrage of abuse I was going to get the next day.

2) Bristol City, home, circa 1996. Again we were pathetic. I'm bot sure we passed the ball forward in the second half. It was as comprehensive a 2-0 defeat as you can get. I seem to think people really started getting on Peter Smith's back that day and it affected him pretty badly. We were comprehensively outclassed by a side about 14 places above us.

3) Barnet away 1996. Lost 3-0 to them. I thought that we would bounce straight back, but that defeat was the start of a glorious run that saw us finish the season second to bottom of the whole league. I was 15, alone and cold in London in late September. Was a very long journey home and I realised then we were in shit.

Any yours?

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
Losing to Darlo at the Goldstone which put us something like 12 points adrift at the bottom of the league.A certain scummy chief executive was chased out of the directors box during the same game.

Closely followed by the whole of season 1997-98(first season at Gillingham).We won about 5 games all season and almost all of the worst Albion players I've ever seen played that season.

Ever since then we've been on the up though.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Archer 'buying' the club
Archer 'buying' the club
Archer 'buying' the club

only three?
nah-we're Albion after all and we're spoilt for choice...

Walton and Hersham beating us 4 nil at home
Losing the play-off final
Micky Adams going to Leicester

I'll be back!

sherriffbart

Sep 24, 2003
1. Losing in the play-off final at Wembley! God we were shite that day.

2. Losing at Watford, the year after the cup final with facist coppers breaking the Albion fan's flag sticks

3. York City, the pitch invasion day at the Goldstone....that day was awful for every reason and brought home the fact that we were so desparate we would go to any measure.

Which makes me think that I really couldn't care less if coppell goes. In fact I would be quite happy now to draw a line and get back to singing the VD song

I'm not going to talk about any time between 95 and 99. It was all bad, the Jimmy Case days and the 4-0 defeat to Darlo under Jeff Wood standing out. Remember that highlights video with a 2-1 home win against Rochdale and a 0-0 draw at Donny on it?

My memory's a bit shit so I'll say recently the draw at Hillsbore last season which was a spineless performance (and then seeing fools applauding the players at the end), the defeat at Stoke when we threw away our chance to stay up and the defeat at Colchester a few weeks ago which was total pony.

xx

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
When Horton left. Forget the VD carrier, a reasonable manager leaving in the dark days of Gillingham felt like it could be the end of the story. I had a dark cloud over my head for days after that. Wonder what ever happened to him? :lolol:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Not a momentous occasion, but I remember it well.

losing 1-0 at home to lowly Reading, very very very very cold, November 93, poor crowd, Albion on the slippery slope to near oblivion, got home and house had been burgled...

:nono:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
1. Albion 2-3 Darlington - it looked like that was that. No football league club, in fact no club at all.
2. Palace 5-0 Albion - If ever there was a game when we were going to turn round a 13 game losing streak, surely this was it. Erm, no. A day utterly ruined by far right no surrender spanners in the pub, the players of Brighton & Hove Albion football club and the Metropolitan police, expecially PC 2637. And we didn't even sell all our tickets which was pathetic.
3. Nott Supported 3-1 Albion playoff final - it's one thing to lose in the play-off final against a tin pot no-fan club like County with their ginger prick goal scorer (thereby breaking 38,000 hearts), but it's made three times worse when you just know full well that your spineless board are about to sell your prime assets for buttons.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
2-1 defeat at Scunthorpe in the Great Escape season. The only time (after Gritty took over at least) that I was convinced the club was going down and bust.

5-0 defeat at Parkhurst Cell last season.

And, for some reason, travelling home alone on the train back to London after a completely gutless 0-2 home defeat to Bristol Rovers on a Wednesday night, I think before Gritt took over. Stands out for some reason, as one of the few times I've ever questioned why I keep making the trip.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
The match against Palarse last season can't bring my self to write the score.:(

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The first time I drove past the Goldstone after we stopped playing there to see the North Stand ripped out and diggers all over the pitch.

Still brings a tear to my eye now just thinking about it.

oatsy

Aug 14, 2003
The Palace 5-0 was harsh, but losing 3-0 to Pompey on a bank holiday in the pissing rain (91ish) was my worst day as a brighton fan *shudder*.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
oatsy said:
The Palace 5-0 was harsh, but losing 3-0 to Pompey on a bank holiday in the pissing rain (91ish) was my worst day as a brighton fan *shudder*.

Be thankful you weren't there in 1984 when the twats beat us 5-1 after we were a goal up at half time. IT then pissed down with rain and they kept us locked in while the prick with the mic preceded to run down all the Pompey scorers. ****s.

sherriffbart

Sep 24, 2003
I wa sthere that day! Didnt willie young play at centre back? And we were ambushed on the way back to the car by a group of drunken "cosham boys"

Losing at Wallsall last year was horrendously depressing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here