WHC IX: The FINAL***

Hardest Beast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Blah, blah, blah.

The only rule of WHC is that there is no rule. You (and [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] ) can cry and whine like pissy little girls, all you like, about everyone else not following YOUR interpretation of 'hardness', but it achieves NOTHING. People will vote as they wish, and are absolutely free to weigh up strength / aggression / pound-for-pound / durability however THEY see fit.

Made me giggle, even though i disagree with you ;-)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The wolverine is also a wild animal - just as institutionalised, just as sickly, just as tame. You're not seeing what's clear - the wolverine is a LEGEND in the hardness stakes

No - I'm seeing what is perfectly clear - you are basing your entire campaign on the exploits of a couple of rogue mentalist individuals.

As a SPECIES, it eats SQUIRRELS, and scraps left over by actual predators.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Blah, blah, blah.

The only rule of WHC is that there is no rule. You (and [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] ) can cry and whine like pissy little girls, all you like, about everyone else not following YOUR interpretation of 'hardness', but it achieves NOTHING. People will vote as they wish, and are absolutely free to weigh up strength / aggression / pound-for-pound / durability however THEY see fit.

This competition would be DULL without being able to delve beyond just physical attributes and into the underlying psyche of a creature. Each to their own I agree, but anyone who votes on 'that creature would beat that one', well, they deserve nothing but derision for their reductive voting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No - I'm seeing what is perfectly clear - you are basing your entire campaign on the exploits of a couple of rogue mentalist individuals.

It probably eats nuts and berries too and quietly goes about it's business.

If it was a human, the wolverine would be the short arse who eats dried fruit at his desk and is quite good at yoga. And to be fair, you might do a lunchtime boxercise class with him, and be surprised at how good his punch is. But he's never going to take on the mentalist over there who is currently training for his 4th iron man in 3 years, having swam the English Channel and back, seven years ago.

Jan 29, 2015
People will vote as they wish, and are absolutely free to weigh up strength / aggression / pound-for-pound / durability however THEY see fit.

Exactly. And some will see fit to vote for the animal that's facing off against the cuddly badger for precisely the reason that it just HAS to be harder than the badger, irrespective of which animal it happens to be. Slow Loris? Harder. Blue tit? Harder. Clown fish? Harder.

I must say though that I am starting to be persuaded by your arguments against the Wolverine - it's basically a small, yappy dog, you say? A chihuahua. Hmmm - you could be right.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This competition would be DULL without being able to delve beyond just physical attributes and into the underlying psyche of a creature. Each to their own I agree, but anyone who votes on 'that creature would beat that one', well, they deserve nothing but derision for their reductive voting.

Agree entirely, thus I backed the mighty Grasshopper Mouse in all its battles. Relative to its size it is insanely hard - defending a territory the size of Botswana on its own, crushing the SKULLS of its opponents, and taking on venomous snakes and scorpions. The Wolverine is a STRONG little beast, but ultimately it feeds on insects, berries, squirrels and roadkill.

Stumpy Tim

Incorrect again. Unfortunately your tactics of spin and ignoring the information being presented seems to be winning the way. You're like TRUMP. Even ignoring the wolverine beating black bears and polar bears, it also EATS Sheep, White-Tailed Deer, Mule Deer, Roe Deer, Caribou, Elk and Moose - all much bigger than itself

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Blah, blah, blah.

Hang on, about 2 posts above you literally agreed with the EXACT point that I've made, that it's not "who would win in a fight".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Incorrect again. Unfortunately your tactics of spin and ignoring the information being presented seems to be winning the way.

I prefer 'debating' or 'lobbying' tbh.

Even ignoring the wolverine beating polar bears..

'Bear' Tim, not 'Bears'. Tame, domesticated, sickly beaR.

it also EATS Sheep, White-Tailed Deer, Mule Deer, Roe Deer, Caribou, Elk and Moose -
...that proper predators like wolves have left scraps of behind.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I have. Yet I also voted MOUSE against much larger / stronger opponents. Sorry if that confuses YOUR personal interpretation of the 'rules'.

See your post above where you agree with someone who claims "but anyone who votes on 'that creature would beat that one', well, they deserve nothing but derision for their reductive voting"

Your response "Agree Entirely".

Yet, when I make that point, you seem to have taken issue with it?

If it was a human, the wolverine would be the short arse who eats dried fruit at his desk and is quite good at yoga. And to be fair, you might do a lunchtime boxercise class with him, and be surprised at how good his punch is. But he's never going to take on the mentalist over there who is currently training for his 4th iron man in 3 years, having swam the English Channel and back, seven years ago.

A most convincing argument.

I'm sold.

TEAM CROC.

if for no other reason than to see [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] cry again

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

...that proper predators like wolves have left scraps of behind.

Again, not reading the evidence given - "there have been cases of wolverines killing moose even though they are almost 20 times their size." You're doing this competition a disservice. So that's polar bear, black bears, and moose.

And for those Mouse fans who liked their territorial nature:
The wolverine is fiercely territorial and males have large territories. They enjoy a solitary life and given sufficient space a male’s territory can be up to 240 miles2 (620 km2). The rule is territories of the same sex mustn’t overlap. If they do there is trouble.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
First time voter for this year (I know, JCL glory fan), but team croc for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
See your post above where you agree with someone who claims "but anyone who votes on 'that creature would beat that one', well, they deserve nothing but derision for their reductive voting"

Your response "Agree Entirely".

Yet, when I make that point, you seem to have taken issue with it?

Nope. Read again.

I don't object in the slightest to your interpretation of hardness. It's perfectly valid.

I object to the attempt to impose that personal interpretation of hardness as a 'competition rule'. Its not. The whole thing is, and rightly should be, entirely subjective and emotive.

If I prefer the tenacity of the mouse over an elephant, yet still chose to vote for the scaley prehistorical nastiness of the croc over a fluffy yappy dog-thing, that is my absolute right.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That analogy couldn't be further from the truth. The Salt Water Crocodile is known for it's lethargy, it can go months without eating and lies about doing nothing, in fact many are known to have barnacles on their scales as they move so little. The Croc is like an obese bloke who's biggest effort is walking to Asda. Unlike the African crocodile, the SWC doesn't have to worry about hippos kicking the shit out of them, or elephants etc. sharing a tiny water hole, the SWC just gets more and more fat eating fish and the odd baby deer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The salt water croc doesn't just laze around in brackish rivers. It swims out into the ocean to kill and eat SHARKS.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nope. Read again.

I don't object in the slightest to your interpretation of hardness. It's perfectly valid.

I object to the attempt to impose that personal interpretation of hardness as a 'competition rule'. Its not. The whole thing is, and rightly should be, entirely subjective and emotive.

But surely that's the WHOLE point of fighting your corner. People make points arguing why their preferred animal is the hardest.

My posts are merely animal-propaganda to try and sway the voting towards what I believe is the rightful winner. Now if that's me trying to re-emphasize what I believe hardness is and thus place my preferred animal in that category then fine.

It's all part of the game. Rather than question the animal, I've gone one step up and try to re-emphasize what hardness is.

At this stage of such a prestigious tournament, I will utilise all the tactics to get my man his trophy.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
The crocodile is obviously fairly hard. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that one out. But lets be honest... I'd also be hard if I had the strongest bite on the planet, with no predators to be wary of. They spend most of their day sunbathing.

It takes a lot more guts/balls/nerve/HARDNESS for a diminutive Wolverine to stand up to and in some cases kill animals of far greater stature. This competition shouldn't be judged by what creature you are more scared of, or what creature would win in a fight with the other.

TeamWOLVERINE all the way on this one.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
not reading the evidence...
The wolverine is fiercely territorial and males have large territories. They enjoy a solitary life and given sufficient space a male’s territory can be up to 240 miles2 (620 km2). The rule is territories of the same sex mustn’t overlap. If they do there is trouble.

There's evidence Tim, and there's downright bullshit.

240 square miles. That's almost twice the size as the Isle of Wight. Or half of the county of East Sussex. If the population of the Wolfie is as low as two pairs in each area the size of East Sussex, that says nothing about 'territories' and everything about a hugely unsuccessful species feebly clinging to evolutionary survival.

240 square mile territory my absolute 4rse. The things would have zero statistical chance of ever meeting each other, let alone fighting to protect territory.

So much Wolverine drivel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here