Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the story Fikayo Tomori?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes of course it's possible, Ferguson brought kids in that he knew or had scouted, trained them and put them in games.
Hughton picked one of the last balls out of the bargain bin and got this kid, who he's had a few weeks to work on.
No comparison.

Accompanied by this -> :lolol: - which surely conveyed sarcasm, or self deprecation.

I'm more than happy for anyone else to rate the guy, I personally don't.
But he might turn out quality, who knows? For the 100th time, good luck to him, I'd love to be proven wrong and he be a quality player for the rest of the season.

Why form a view at all this early ? As you say he may or may not turn out to be a decent player. The consensus on here is that tonight he had a decent game after a tricky start and starting threads slating youngsters is over the top.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

I agree BUT he isn't our player, that is what I'm struggling with, IF he was our player I would agree with just about everything being said BUT HE'S NOT. We get what out of this deal? Chelsea get a 'prospect' off their payroll for 6 months and get to have a look at how he does with a bit of pressure on him in proper games with no risk on them.
We just didn't need this risk, double so considering we have then done exactly the same with Akpom. It was madness IMO.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Name one. When you do consider the loan system came into existence after Giggs made his debut and also consider how many they send out on loan every year that are never heard of again.

Darren Fletcher I know off the top of my head never went out on loan and was blooded into the Man Utd first team straight from the Training Ground age 19

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I agree BUT he isn't our player, that is what I'm struggling with, IF he was our player I would agree with just about everything being said BUT HE'S NOT. We get what out of this deal? Chelsea get a 'prospect' off their payroll for 6 months and get to have a look at how he does with a bit of pressure on him in proper games with no risk on them.
We just didn't need this risk, double so considering we have then done exactly the same with Akpom. It was madness IMO.
What did you think of the loan signing of the left back that he replaced

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Darren Fletcher I know off the top of my head never went out on loan and was blooded into the Man Utd first team straight from the Training Ground age 19

Actually I made a mistake I just looked. It was actually age 17

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

It's Tony's money and Chris' footballing knowledge. Words like disgrace etc are being banded about by people who don't bring either talent to the table. This is BHA not Real Madrid.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Fletcher had 8 years in possibly the best Football Academy in the world, working for possibly the best Manager in the world, before breaking into the first team.
How is this relevant to 8 weeks with Tomori?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
What did you think of the loan signing of the left back that he replaced

What the LEFT BACK you mean? The LEFT BACK who was signed on a season loan because our first choice LEFT BACK got injured. That LEFT BACK?
So if we had our first and second choice LEFT BACKS injured then clearly a good move is to sign a 19 year old RIGHT BACK who has NEVER played a senior competitive game at LEFT BACK, yes, that will work.

What would might have made more sense tonight would have been to move Bruno to left back (a position he's played befoere) and allowed Tomori to play in his preferred position.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What would might have made more sense tonight would have been to move Bruno to left back (a position he's played befoere) and allowed Tomori to play in his preferred position.
Very much doubt it. It would have disrupted a settled, excellent back four even more.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Fletcher had 8 years in possibly the best Football Academy in the world, working for possibly the best Manager in the world, before breaking into the first team.
How is this relevant to 8 weeks with Tomori?

I stated that Ferguson blooded youngsters straight from the training ground. - I was asked to name one - I named one

Now I am being asked to comment on what Managers extract in terms of their progression on the training ground - I am not a football coach and I don't see ALL Academies and training grounds.

Loads don't make it out of the Academies and the good ones will. All I am saying is that this lad is expected to be one of the ones who does make it

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I stated that Ferguson blooded youngsters straight from the training ground. - I was asked to name one - I named one

Now I am being asked to comment on what Managers extract in terms of their progression on the training ground - I am not a football coach and I don't see ALL Academies and training grounds.

Loads don't make it out of the Academies and the good ones will. All I am saying is that this lad is expected to be one of the ones who does make it

I get you, that's fair enough.
Just remember that Tomori has been with Chelsea for 11 years and wasn't given a look-in for pre-season in the U.S.
And he's been sent out as 4th choice for a Championship team.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong, I'd love him to be great. But I can find no positives here, yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here