Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the story Fikayo Tomori?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You can't compare a training game where they play Mario Kart-themed drills in Lancing, to a heavyweight clash in the Championship against experienced Premier League players.
Actually, I think you'll find they both made dodgy starts against Newcastle United. Tomori seemed to sort himself out pretty well after the dodgy first half though.

He won all his headers really aggressively and looked to be picking his passes well - if he'd managed to rescue Stockdale for that awful equaliser we'd be singing his name now

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Yes there is then. Duffy came into a back four he hadn't played with before, and struggled. So did Tomori.

Obviously, Duffy, being an experienced international and all that should have done a lot better, eh?

You'll have to tell me what you're getting at, as I can't tell.

Tomori has had 2 shit games, he's got no experience and from what we've seen, it doesn't look promising, and I personally hope he doesn't have to fill in again this season.

Duffy had 2 shit games, we knew he was quality, but we also knew he was going through a crap spell, and he came back to form very quickly.

If Tomori does a Duffy, and becomes one of the best players in the team in the next 1-2 games, I'll write him and NSC a personal letter of apology.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Second half was better, but I don't think Pongo should have been anywhere near the pitch if he was 50/50 to play.
Having to make a sub at 18 mins is not good for the duration of play.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
How is this even a discussion? Was not at fault in the slightest for either of their goals and looked reasonably solid most of the game, we lost because of sloppy defending and a lack of quality in the final third, not because of our makeshift 19 y/o leftt back

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You'll have to tell me what you're getting at, as I can't tell.

Tomori has had 2 shit games, he's got no experience and from what we've seen, it doesn't look promising, and I personally hope he doesn't have to fill in again this season.

Duffy had 2 shit games, we knew he was quality, but we also knew he was going through a crap spell, and he came back to form very quickly.

If Tomori does a Duffy, and becomes one of the best players in the team in the next 1-2 games, I'll write him and NSC a personal letter of apology.
Good. Because you've got the same evidence in both cases. Dodgy starts in an unfamiliar back four against Newcastle. End of. Duffy improved. Tomori improved too.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I thought he played well.

He certainly did in the second half. The first half he looked a disaster waiting to happen.

Enormous credit must go to Hughton and the coaching team because whatever they said at half-time worked, he was way more relaxed and positionally was far more comfortable.

Let's remember he is just 19........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Poor kid is 4th in line for the position that's all. And learning his trade. Pretty much what I'd expect. Definitely not a scapegoat for tonight. We were woeful all over the other 10 positions he doesn't play in!!!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Actually, I think you'll find they both made dodgy starts against Newcastle United. Tomori seemed to sort himself out pretty well after the dodgy first half though.

Yes, but your point was that CH would have seen him in training, and thought he was good enough/ready to play in this one?
With no first team experience at Brighton or Chelsea, looking at someone playing fun games in Lancing (yes, plus some tough drills obviously), can't give you a real feel for how a player will do in a big game.

My point is that Tomori is only here because there was simply no one else available for 6 months on the cheap.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Duffy backed off too much and Sidwell let him run in.......

Yeh Sidwell didn't match the run but he was a sub who had just come on. Sidwell was one of the ones who had run himself into the ground and just couldn't run much more

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, but your point was that CH would have seen him in training, and thought he was good enough/ready to play in this one?
With no first team experience at Brighton or Chelsea, looking at someone playing fun games in Lancing (yes, plus some tough drills obviously), can't give you a real feel for how a player will do in a big game.

My point is that Tomori is only here because there was simply no one else available for 6 months on the cheap.
ALL our players are here because there was no-one better available at the price we paid. That is how football works, unless you're Abramovich or the Man. Citeh owners.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Good. Because you've got the same evidence in both cases. Dodgy starts in an unfamiliar back four against Newcastle. End of. Duffy improved. Tomori improved too.

Yes but Duffy wasn't near as bad as Tomori, in my opinion.
Tomori genuinely looked like a deer in headlights for 75 minutes and gave the ball away more than he kept it.

With Duffy, I knew how good he was and knew he had moved here after a terrible couple of games.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I look forward to seeing your name in the paper next week when your favourite for the Leicester job or Arsenal job when Wenger gets sacked. I think the Manager has earned the right to evaluate players as he sees it in training. After all, it has taken BHA to the top 2 of the Championship this season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here