Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What's happened to Adam Webster.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
But he isn't really perfectly good enough for the level we are playing at, is he. RDZ has publicly stated that that he is only at his best once he has a run of games to get his confidence up. Due to persistent injuries, he can't get that run of games so can't get up to speed. Plus all the while he is getting up to speed, he has a usually critical mistake in him. I'm sure he's a good voice in the dressing room and nice local guy, but as a player, his time is up unless it's as a perennial bench warmer.

That's a pretty rotten post tbh.
Shame.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
That phrase “He’s got a mistake in him” really winds me up. Some ex-pros, in all their wisdom, used to reel this off and it was seized on by people that wanted to sound like ex-pros FFS show me a player that hasn’t got a mistake in him. If there were no mistakes there would be no goals!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Part of football is that sides evolve and certain players get left behind. Injuries are often a factor in this. For me, Adam has bèn an important part of our transition but I fancy a move will be best for him and the club.

That said, we are short in numbers at the back and we need him fit to provide cover. I'd be surprised if he was here at the start of next season but I acknowledge the great job he has done for this club.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
With JPvH and Igor both proving themselves, I do feel that Webster’s opportunities are more limited than previously.

He’s done brilliantly for us, and I’d love to have him available as an option, I think it’s honestly going to come down to whether he’s willing to accept a role with less playing time to aid the team.

If he is, he still has a big part to play, but if he wants to be playing from the start every match, I’m not certain that’s easily achievable for him here without injuries to others.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's the next BHAFC player to be written off by a certain section of NSC, before coming back into the starting 11 and playing a crucial role in a game before the end of the season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He's the next BHAFC player to be written off by a certain section of NSC, before coming back into the starting 11 and playing a crucial role in a game before the end of the season.
Along with the crap suggestions of possible shit signings if it was down to NSC participants we would be crap & relying on Chris Wood for goals with an ageing Ashley Barnes on the bench 🤣

Him, Dunk and Burn kept us in the PL under Houghton and whilst the team as a whole has progressed, the defence haven't. Admittedly he's now likely behind JP in the pecking order but we certainly can't afford to lose his experience. Nobody has been calling to offload Lamptey yet Lamptey has been a lot more injury prone

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Him, Dunk and Burn kept us in the PL under Houghton and whilst the team as a whole has progressed, the defence haven't. Admittedly he's now likely behind JP in the pecking order but we certainly can't afford to lose his experience. Nobody has been calling to offload Lamptey yet Lamptey has been a lot more injury prone
He never played under Chris Hughton. He was Potter’s first signing.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
It isn't just this season he's been injured, he was out for a big majority of last season also, he is more than capable of playing at this level but he seems to have some fitness issues which doesn't help the squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's been a fine player for us - and is still a worthwhile member of the squad - but I think we as a team may have moved on a bit further than he has now.
Definitely think he's the next one on the de Zerbi bus outta here though. Good luck to him if he does make a move in January or the summer.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Webster has been a little fragile, as has Lamptey, Webster has not responded as well as some to the RDZ confidence rub. . . . Which is strange as he had the confidence to wander forward before . . . . Either way, he's a good player, and we need squad back up, but I don't see him as the future under RDZ. Fitness and versatility are key to our success.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Not super happy with the casual disrespect in this thread.

He was a fantastic buy, his performances have mostly been very good, and he's been in and out with injury, as many of our (perhaps more favoured) players also have been.

Some are getting a little too comfortable in our present position, me thinks.
No I think we have 3 or 4 players who are becoming injury prone , and is leaving the squad weaker , and he is one of them ,
needs a run of 6 games before he starts playing well , trouble is those games are littered with mistakes, look at the home game against WHU earlier in the season , we cannot keep carrying players who are consistently injured, ,

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
No I think we have 3 or 4 players who are becoming injury prone , and is leaving the squad weaker , and he is one of them ,
needs a run of 6 games before he starts playing well , trouble is those games are littered with mistakes, look at the home game against WHU earlier in the season , we cannot keep carrying players who are consistently injured, ,
Cruel but true.:(

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That phrase “He’s got a mistake in him” really winds me up. Some ex-pros, in all their wisdom, used to reel this off and it was seized on by people that wanted to sound like ex-pros FFS show me a player that hasn’t got a mistake in him. If there were no mistakes there would be no goals!
Oh agreed. This thread is suggestive of what NSC is going to be like when we have a downturn in form.
Webster has been a fine servant, now in his fifth season. I had to deal with all sorts of nonsense when he was played instead of Duffy, when it was pretty obvious why. He was much better on the ball and far, far quicker -- enabling us to play a high line (something that's standard in the PL now). This change of personnel was indicative of a new way of playing.
Another phrase that follows Webster is 'it takes him 3 or 4 games to get back up to speed'. That's also not the case. In terms of your phrase, no, he doesn't always have a mistake in him. Every now and again, he does have a mistake or even two in a game, and they're glaring errors. But he goes through several games without a mistake.
I've been a vociferous fan of Webster pretty much since day one. I'm less convinced about him now, especially given how van Hecke and Igor are playing. What has shifted my view is neither that 'he's got a mistake in him' nor that 'it takes 3 or 4 games to get back up to speed'. It's that Webster's passing isn't quite good enough for our style under RDZ.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Oh agreed. This thread is suggestive of what NSC is going to be like when we have a downturn in form.
Webster has been a fine servant, now in his fifth season. I had to deal with all sorts of nonsense when he was played instead of Duffy, when it was pretty obvious why. He was much better on the ball and far, far quicker -- enabling us to play a high line (something that's standard in the PL now). This change of personnel was indicative of a new way of playing.
Another phrase that follows Webster is 'it takes him 3 or 4 games to get back up to speed'. That's also not the case. In terms of your phrase, no, he doesn't always have a mistake in him. Every now and again, he does have a mistake or even two in a game, and they're glaring errors. But he goes through several games without a mistake.
I've been a vociferous fan of Webster pretty much since day one. I'm less convinced about him now, especially given how van Hecke and Igor are playing. What has shifted my view is neither that 'he's got a mistake in him' nor that 'it takes 3 or 4 games to get back up to speed'. It's that Webster's passing isn't quite good enough for our style under RDZ.
I think that is very fair.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With JPvH and Igor both proving themselves, I do feel that Webster’s opportunities are more limited than previously.

He’s done brilliantly for us, and I’d love to have him available as an option, I think it’s honestly going to come down to whether he’s willing to accept a role with less playing time to aid the team.

If he is, he still has a big part to play, but if he wants to be playing from the start every match, I’m not certain that’s easily achievable for him here without injuries to others.
Bit early to make a decision about JPvH versus Webster I would have thought. Here are JPV's stats from Wiki:

1702759498258.png

And Webster's (same source so probably the same updating limitations)
1702759628532.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here