Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What's happened to Adam Webster.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Injured and past his best. He'll be gone next summer unless he gets lucky and we have a change of manager. He could Phil Jones his way to hanging around if we have a turnover of managers but seems unlikely.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He’s a key part of the squad now. Still 4/5 good CBs and we need them 100%.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Saw on an injury list for the Burnley game with a 'knock' and was out until Jan, from my recall.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
He is perfectly good enough for the level we are playing at, and like Veltman he offers flexibility at CB & FB. He will play a part again this season, let’s support him until he makes his comeback. Thank you.
But he isn't really perfectly good enough for the level we are playing at, is he. RDZ has publicly stated that that he is only at his best once he has a run of games to get his confidence up. Due to persistent injuries, he can't get that run of games so can't get up to speed. Plus all the while he is getting up to speed, he has a usually critical mistake in him. I'm sure he's a good voice in the dressing room and nice local guy, but as a player, his time is up unless it's as a perennial bench warmer.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Cant see it ! No one wants to sign a sick note in Jan
Wow, nice way to refer to a Brighton & Hove Albion squad player that has served us well over the past 6 years and still helps us to rotate our defence when needed. Clearly, a defender we were prepared to break Championship transfer records for and was the mainstay in our back line at least until he began to sustain injuries. He may not be a speciality player or at the level new players are coming in but he is a good all rounder and actually plays better in a back 3 as he did with Dunk and Igor against Fulham in October.

“Adam Webster’s passing out from the back, with both feet is better than any other English central defender” – Jamie Carragher.

Last edited:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Webster has been a great purchase for us. £20m well spent frankly. Remember the step up he was from Duffy, enabling us to play out well from the back under Potter.

It might be that were moving slightly beyond him, particularly after his many injuries, but he's still a valuable squad player when fit. It wouldn't surprise me if he moved on in the summer but in January it makes no sense at all - why leave ourselves more open?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But he isn't really perfectly good enough for the level we are playing at, is he. RDZ has publicly stated that that he is only at his best once he has a run of games to get his confidence up. Due to persistent injuries, he can't get that run of games so can't get up to speed. Plus all the while he is getting up to speed, he has a usually critical mistake in him. I'm sure he's a good voice in the dressing room and nice local guy, but as a player, his time is up unless it's as a perennial bench warmer.
As does Van Hecke, a very, very similar player, who is judged way, way more generously on here than Webster.

If Webster had conceded the penalty JPVH did, against Brentford, or done the weird sloppy missed header back to Steele on Thursday night, it would have prompted a flood of ‘get rid’ comments.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
All I can say is, thank goodness it’s RDZ coaching and managing our team, and not you or me.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
As does Van Hecke, a very, very similar player, who is judged way, way more generously on here than Webster.
I think the reason for this is because Van Hecke is younger than Webster and has been at the club for a shorter period of time.

That doesn’t excuse the criticism that Webster receives - which is too much now.

Plus, the mistakes of JPVH that you mentioned later were in games that we won, so that is partially the reason why he wasn’t heavily criticised - unlike Webster’s performance at home to West Ham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here