Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What year did you leave school ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Assuming we're counting A Levels as school - 1988. Started as a waiter at the Imperial Hotel in Hove.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
First time 1981: Went to work in Wimbledon dole office. Often there was a nicer quality of claimant around there, but somehow I ended up looking after those of no fixed abode and no shower. I quit that job on the Tuesday after the 1983 cup final as I'd skived off on the Monday to make sure I got replay tickets and decided to quit before the boss could tell me I was fired. I'd thought as a Geordie he would understand but apparently not.

Then I went back to school in 2002 for four more years and finished in 2006, becoming Rev Juan soon after graduation.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing

Laboratory Assistant in a Chemical Manufacturers.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
1980. Had a holiday job at Linfield's nursery in Worthing.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Left school in 1982, and my first job was on the Youth Opportunities Program mending dictating machines and electric typewriters for 25 quid a week.

arich264

A rich *******
Started work on 4 August 1965 in the Treasurers Dept of East Sussex County Council on the grand total of 295.00 per year. Three weeks later when my "O" level results came through and I attained five "O" levels my salary went up to 365.00 per year. Oh happy days.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
1977 Lloyds Bank, Pantiles Branch Tunbridge Wells. Now an estate agent's branch, most other closed TW bank branches are Italian Restaurant chains. Vol. redundancy 1992, 1993 - 1997 Tonbridge Railway Call Centre (great job, hated the shift pattern) vol. redundancy, 1997 - 2004 NPI UAT work, voluntary redundancy (see a pattern emerging?) house husband to 2008 until my current job.

Apart from Enrest and a couple of others how many "job for lifers" are there?

Another lifer here, Left school in 1977 and joined B.R. where I stayed for exactly 34 years to the day until ill health forced me to give up work.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
1985. First job Eagle Star, Queens road. It is now the Big Issue Citizens advice centre. My annual wage was £3,507

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Left school in 1977, after 2 yrs in catering college worked in a hotel in Suffolk as a chef.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If we count A Levels, then 2003. It should have been 2001, but I went to a different college to do more A Levels as I ballsed them up the first time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
1977 joined R A Tuffin, accountants in ship street. £26per week, paid in cash in a little brown payslip envelope with all the workings on the front of what I was paid, deducted etc. also .25p luncheon vouchers per day.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
1964 after O levels. I started working for the Coop in their accounts office for £4 10/- a week, paying 7/6 NI. I didn't earn enough to pay tax.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
1998 left school and went to work in an office that sold spurious accident recovery. Lasted 3 days, then went beach to college, then uni, till 2003. Then went to work in the pub trade as an assistant pub manager in Plymouth.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
First P/T job in Jolyons on the Steine. Started in 1972 and worked Saturdays and school holidays until 1975 (when I left school).
1976 got a job at the Alliance and left that in 1977 to go to uni
1981 started working at the Co-op as a statistician

I can still remember all those jobs vividly - still recall my first weekly pay packet at Jolyons was in the Easter holidays 1973 - took home the grand total of £8.43

I also worked at Joe Lyons or Jolyon bottom of St James's St as it became during the school holidays and weekends of 1970. Mr Enser was in charge as I remember.

Don't feel so sad I left school in 1981 f--ck all for u to do ,my son has just turned 16 so much for him to do. Couldn't believe how lucky they are now I went straight to work at 15 he has a choice of college and university I had **** all just work, so much has changed for our youngsters for the better . We still had the last of the real hard years now it's so easy you can't believe some of us have lived through proper hard times still remember queuing up for bread a long lewes road may be 100 people waiting for a loaf ..f--k me They were the day's

Sorry but I have to ask this - did you live in a shoebox in middle of t'road?

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Left school in 1979. In 1981 left college having wasted 2 years and got a job as a Computer Operator at Bookers in Chichester.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I also worked at Joe Lyons or Jolyon bottom of St James's St as it became during the school holidays and weekends of 1970. Mr Enser was in charge as I remember.

When I was there, the permanent staff was entirely female apart from one bloke who was the chef (ie he opened the cans). The temporary and part-time staff were nearly all male - some were fresh out of the local borstal with a couple of schoolkids like me. It was a weird place to work

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here