Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What will cost us this season...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You can't be serious.

I wouldn't be surprised if the list of candidates wasn't comfortably double figures.
I bet there are also a few wowzer names on the list, even though I love a good 'who the f*** is that'.
I also wouldn't be surprised if one of those players came here in early January.

What would surprise me is if the club paid considerably less than what was being asked in August.

Ok, so assuming you are correct then why do you think we didn't make one of these signings ? You and others seem to be implying some sort of hidden agenda..or am I just missing something ? Are you trying to say the club is inept perhaps, or tight ? What exactly is it ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok, so assuming you are correct then why do you think we didn't make one of these signings ? You and others seem to be implying some sort of hidden agenda..or am I just missing something ? Are you trying to say the club is inept perhaps, or tight ? What exactly is it ?

Mr Barber made it clear when he said the transfer market was 'over heated' this summer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Except with another quick quality striker we could easily have walked the division and all the "what ifs" could have been irrelevant and we would probably been in the Premier League.

....and if most of NSC had had their way, that 'quick' striker would have been Murray.......

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Except with another quick quality striker we could easily have walked the division and all the "what ifs" could have been irrelevant and we would probably been in the Premier League.

Or maybe we don't need another striker this year because, by your reasoning, that clearly wasn't the main reason we didn't go up last year :shrug:

Hi Icy. I didn't say any of this.. We effectively walked the league anyway finishing 20 points above 7th place. Bit hard to fathom given you're so sure we were lacking.
How did that happen if we were so devoid of attacking options ?

Strikers weren't "clearly* the reason we didn't go up last season because we missed out literally in the final few minutes of the season . Why not just blame refs?, or It could have been one of a dozen things throughout the year as i listed above. of course there's an argument to say it was Zamora or Wilson or Hemed's injuries and another striker would have helped but its not clear.

I didn't say we shouldn't be looking for more attacking options this season but just understand the clubs reasoning why they didn't land their target in the summer and haven't , given that its September and we've just won our last 2 league matches completely written off our chances this year either. thats all.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Mr Barber made it clear when he said the transfer market was 'over heated' this summer.

Barber actually said this SB. He didn't say we weren't prepared to "over pay" , just that we weren't prepared to over pay for "numbers" who wouldn't "strengthen" the squad.
Not sure what other agenda you think they have.

PS:What happened to your vow of silence on this particular matter?

"we will only spend money on players that strengthen our group, and in an over-heated market we won't over-pay for alternatives that simply don't meet this objective and would just be a case of adding numbers. "
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-hove-albion-3285030.aspx#3Phw5yEupOFl8PPj.99

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barber actually said this SB. He didn't say we weren't prepared to "over pay" , just that we weren't prepared to over pay for "numbers" who wouldn't "strengthen" the squad.
Not sure what other agenda you think they have.

PS:What happened to your vow of silence on this particular matter?

"we will only spend money on players that strengthen our group, and in an over-heated market we won't over-pay for alternatives that simply don't meet this objective and would just be a case of adding numbers. "
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-hove-albion-3285030.aspx#3Phw5yEupOFl8PPj.99

Being silence over the petty goading is easy.
I find it harder when faced with nonsense spin.

This was followed by a now deleted long ramble of explanation.
But we've been here before and I really can't be doing with it again.

Roll on tomorrow, lots of goals, and no obvious gaps in the squads abilities.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Being silence over the petty goading is easy.
I find it harder when faced with nonsense spin.

This was followed by a now deleted long ramble of explanation.
But we've been here before and I really can't be doing with it again.

Roll on tomorrow, lots of goals, and no obvious gaps in the squads abilities.

:thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Signing a record fee striker guaranteed promotion for Blackburn with Rhodes and Fulham with McCormack, so it should have worked for us in the summer too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Signing a record fee striker guaranteed promotion for Blackburn with Rhodes and Fulham with McCormack, so it should have worked for us in the summer too.

If they'd had a defence as good as ours it would almost certainly have made a difference though, or maybe we don't need strikers as good as Rhodes and McCormack, is that what you're saying? We certainly don't have anyone of their quality IMO, except maybe an in form GM

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We'll have to agree to differ on this one. Rhodes spent half the season in and out of a shit team and was then used sparingly at the best team in our league.

Perhaps Rhodes was found out to be not as good as Boro initially thought he was?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Perhaps Rhodes was found out to be not as good as Boro initially thought he was?

Indeed, he didn't fit their system and the manager didn't want to play him. Wasn't there some query about the Chairman pushing for the transfer ? Shows that just thinking of the name of a forward who has scored goals in the past may or may not be the answer. He did score some crucial goals for Boro but I reckon those on here pushing for a big signing would be anticipating a bigger impact. I think CH has earnt the right to make this judgement call and if he has been unable to sign the right forward it won't be because of any failings on his or the clubs part.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here