Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What will cost us this season...

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Seems like a lot of fans are frustrated with the play offs after 3 failures and want more. Expectation is unrealistically based on us improving last season, hence so much whinging about results so far.

We were spoilt a bit. No harm in aiming for top 6 but the club would do better to set expectation in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Your right of course, we could have slogans such as 'one ambition', the unqualified, un time bounded non goal that we had last season. But surely we are experiencing deja vu, we failed last season for the exact reason that fans are having concerns again. If Hemed or Murray take an injury we have no options at the front, Its difficult for fans to wait on the sideline wondering what is happening and I am absolutely sure that those at the club who are involved in recruiting understand that we are light up front, but this has been going on for a few seasons now as we recruit poor performing players who clearly from the outset were never going to make it. Perhaps the club should not big up their signings in the first place as this is what raises expectations.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
How many times have we played our 1st choice 11 this season? Twice? Everyone needs to relax a bit. We scored loads of goals last year and we will get back into our groove this year.

Our record of strikers isn't great, I agree to an extent. Most clubs only have 1 top striker that regularly delivers and in the last 2.5 seasons we've had Ulloa (23 in 50) and Hemed (20 in 50). That isn't that bad in my book.

Normally I wouldn't say anything negative about CH given I know how good he is as a coach and ''man manager''

BUT

Actually, Chris record in signing strikers IS NOT THAT GREAT either apart from promoting Andy Carroll from the youth squad at age 17 from their youth squad. It has not stopped him being successful at this level.

Good strikers don't always guarantee success although they do help. There are many strikers who have been successful with some clubs but they move and then struggle at others, if they don't actually fit into the system of the players around them - Fernando Torres. There is no guarantee that a ''perceived good striker '' would improve the side. Just look at what happens when Hemed doesn't play. He doesn't look like a prolific striker but when he is not playing, we miss him.

Brighton were successful last year because we had a good team who were coached well and had great team spirit. That was slightly dented by the Dale Stephens scenario but that is being rebuilt and when it is we will be one of the best sides in this division this year again.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Seems like a lot of fans are frustrated with the play offs after 3 failures and want more. Expectation is unrealistically based on us improving last season, hence so much whinging about results so far.

We were spoilt a bit. No harm in aiming for top 6 but the club would do better to set expectation in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Everyone says Derby are bottlers but we are no better!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It will be ok provided CH doesnt go after Wolfswinkle in January.

Actually BG -- I disagree on that one. Ricky van Wofswinkel is a very good striker and in a side like we have then he would score goals. He is the perfect example of someone who needs a side who play a specific way to score goals. I really liked him as a player

He has great technique, he is very quick, he is sharp in the box, he strikes the ball well and works very hard. He just doesn't have a real physical presence but alongside Hemed or Murray, I feel he would do well.

Norwich were always going to be strugglers in the Premiership and he is not going to do well in a struggling side. On top of that good players as Nathan Redmond and Robert Snodgrass are they are the type of players who want to do it all themselves and releasing the ball to team mates n a better position to score than they are is a concept they don't like to adopt

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to transfermarket he was signed by Vitesse Arnhem for £510k which seemed a good deal. as opposed to what Norwich paid for him. They also list him as a secondary striker. So perhaps he wouldnt have been such a bad buy, had we done so.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
You can almost sense the anticipation of NSC boiling over into the Christmas transfer window in the hope of a mercurial striker.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Has Andrei Kanchelskis been seen in a Brighton chip shop again?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
we failed last season for the exact reason that fans are having concerns again.

Is Goldson going to stick his leg out again and score an own goal ? Thus denying us the 2 points that would have given us automatic promotion ?*

or is it all the others...?

Not signing a left back
Not having a stronger in depth squad and having to play Calde etc.
Bad luck with refs
Joey Barton not getting sent off
Poor defending from corners
Dunk getting sent off
All those injuries in the first leg play off
Letting in 2 goals against Rotherham
That back pass from Ince at Derby, Greer giving away a penalty at Derby.

and so on.

oh. i get it .

Not spending £10m on a striker. Its always that one isn't it. :)

Last edited:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Is Goldson going to stick his leg out again and score an own goal ? Thus denying us the 2 points that would have given us automatic promotion ?*

Not signing a left back
Bad luck with refs
Dunk getting sent off

and so on.

oh. i get it .

Accepting all the above, an additional striker would have made the difference to our season last year, as indeed is the case this season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Accepting all the above, an additional striker would have made the difference to our season last year, as indeed is the case this season.

If a striker is so key. And we didn't have them. Then how come it took until the 59th minute of the final game of the season and Stephens being sent off that it looked like our chance for automatic promotion had started to slip away...
Why not months before ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Not signing a left back
Bad luck with refs
Dunk getting sent off

and so on.

oh. i get it .

You've changed your tune CJ. You definitely said we needed and would sign a striker this summer. Still, I'm not surprised you're sucking up to the club again.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You've changed your tune CJ. You definitely said we needed and would sign a striker this summer. Still, I'm not surprised you're sucking up to the club again.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Hughton wanted a striker this summer, Bloom coughed up the money and they were right. Pritchard would have been a great addition to the squad (based on his previous Champ experience) .
However I don't think that puts paid to our promotion prospects though. And its far too early to pass judgement there. Certainly not after a meaningless league cup defeat.

As for last season then its ridiculous to say it was this or that that cost us. It was such fine margins - its an impossible game to pinpoint it to a single thing. There's an argument about having another fit striker (especially helpful in the run-in given the injuries) but you could equally say all the other things i listed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hughton wanted a striker this summer, Bloom coughed up the money and they were right. Pritchard would have been a great addition to the squad (based on his previous Champ experience) .
However I don't think that puts paid to our promotion prospects though. And its far too early to pass judgement there. Certainly not after a meaningless league cup defeat.

As for last season then its ridiculous to say it was this or that that cost us. It was such fine margins - its an impossible game to pinpoint it to a single thing. There's an argument about having another fit striker (especially helpful in the run-in given the injuries) but you could equally say all the other things i listed.

Except with another quick quality striker we could easily have walked the division and all the "what ifs" could have been irrelevant and we would probably been in the Premier League.

Or maybe we don't need another striker this year because, by your reasoning, that clearly wasn't the main reason we didn't go up last year :shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Except with another quick quality striker we could easily have walked the division and all the "what ifs" could have been irrelevant and we would probably been in the Premier League.

Or maybe we don't need another striker this year because, by your reasoning, that clearly wasn't the main reason we didn't go up last year :shrug:

Blimey you may it all look so easy

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey you may it all look so easy

Right, another one who doesn't think a decent additional striker would have helped last season. Becoming clearer and clearer that three will be adequate this season. What a fool I am, top two here we come.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Right, another one who doesn't think a decent additional striker would have helped last season. Becoming clearer and clearer that three will be adequate this season. What a fool I am, top two here we come.

No, you're not a fool but you are making it sound like some sort of formula: buy striker...get promoted. It is so easy to make a mistake in the transfer market. Perhaps the player doesn't gel with the team or he gets injured or whatever. There are no guarantees. There is a tremendous amount of research needed before making a signing. The club identified Pritchard as being both available and able to fit in. He went to Norwich. I am inclined to believe the club didn't feel that there was another candidate out there who would have enhanced our squad and who wanted to come here. I believe them because the recruitment team seem (in my opinion)to be doing a great job. I'm not sucking up to the club, I'm just taking a view. I guess it's up to you whether or not you go along with that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Come on IG...you know better than that..see NB's reply which says what I think...now smile :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, you're not a fool but you are making it sound like some sort of formula: buy striker...get promoted. It is so easy to make a mistake in the transfer market. Perhaps the player doesn't gel with the team or he gets injured or whatever. There are no guarantees. There is a tremendous amount of research needed before making a signing. The club identified Pritchard as being both available and able to fit in. He went to Norwich. I am inclined to believe the club didn't feel that there was another candidate out there who would have enhanced our squad and who wanted to come here. I believe them because the recruitment team seem (in my opinion)to be doing a great job. I'm not sucking up to the club, I'm just taking a view. I guess it's up to you whether or not you go along with that.
You can't be serious.

I wouldn't be surprised if the list of candidates wasn't comfortably double figures.
I bet there are also a few wowzer names on the list, even though I love a good 'who the f*** is that'.
I also wouldn't be surprised if one of those players came here in early January.

What would surprise me is if the club paid considerably less than what was being asked in August.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You can't be serious.

I wouldn't be surprised if the list of candidates wasn't comfortably double figures.
I bet there are also a few wowzer names on the list, even though I love a good 'who the f*** is that'.
I also wouldn't be surprised if one of those players came here in early January.

What would surprise me is if the club paid considerably less than what was being asked in August.

Perhaps you've omitted to read the 'who wanted to come here' bit.......weren't you going silent on the subject? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here