Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What WAS Roberto thinking?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Steele makes a lot of excellent saves. He had a poor game yesterday but so did everyone else. That said, conceding six is never a good thing especially given their XG, so I expect Verbruggen to be given the nod on Thursday.
I genuinely can’t remember him ever making an excellent save for us. In fact, I’d argue he regularly doesn’t make saves he should do, yesterday’s game included.

He has a certain skill set, no one can deny that. But let’s not pretend end he’s something he’s not.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
More worrying than that today I think. This wasn’t one of those games we bossed while the opposition put away every chance they had. It was a huge first half disconnect again between 9 of the side and the 2 strikers that meant Villa could take control.
Absolutely. But it was the same in that fixture last year. They crowd around the two in midfield, out numbering them, making it difficult to transition through midfield into the wider places. And with two out and out forwards playing, that disconnect shows more than it would against most teams.

I love RDZ - he’s done things with this team I never thought possible - but the issues were there last season in this fixture and he didn’t learn. That’s the worry for me. The best managers are willing to adapt, and he’s showing no signs of that at the moment.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Absolutely. But it was the same in that fixture last year. They crowd around the two in midfield, out numbering them, making it difficult to transition through midfield into the wider places. And with two out and out forwards playing, that disconnect shows more than it would against most teams.

I love RDZ - he’s done things with this team I never thought possible - but the issues were there last season in this fixture and he didn’t learn. That’s the worry for me. The best managers are willing to adapt, and he’s showing no signs of that at the moment.
Stubborn, like his predecessor. Winning 5 of 7 is ok though, better than 7 1-1 draws!

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I genuinely can’t remember him ever making an excellent save for us. In fact, I’d argue he regularly doesn’t make saves he should do, yesterday’s game included.

He has a certain skill set, no one can deny that. But let’s not pretend end he’s something he’s not.
I feel like it is harsh to criticise Steele, but honestly he hasn't performed well recently and I prefer Verbruggen personally.
However, that being said, I think that there were other aspects of our football yesterday which were more worrying - especially the performances by the midfielders and defenders.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I feel like it is harsh to criticise Steele, but honestly he hasn't performed well recently and I prefer Verbruggen personally.
However, that being said, I think that there were other aspects of our football yesterday which were more worrying - especially the performances by the midfielders and defenders.
I think everyone was poor yesterday, including the manager. These days will always happen with RDZ in charge, until he takes that next step as a manager.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I just looked at Villa's squad for their last three PL games (all wins) - and the starting eleven was identical in each. They made five changes for their Carabo Cup match (v Everton) and their first European fixture - and lost both.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Steele makes a lot of excellent saves. He had a poor game yesterday but so did everyone else. That said, conceding six is never a good thing especially given their XG, so I expect Verbruggen to be given the nod on Thursday.
Care to point out any of his excellent saves? I feel like his highlights reel will contain lots of canny passes and not a lot else.

Anyway I'll disagree with you that he had a poor game, he was perfectly fine, all the shots were towards the corners or deflected, and his passing was solid. The issue with Steele is that he never seems to win points by making amazing saves on shots that were deflected or towards the corners.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I just looked at Villa's squad for their last three PL games (all wins) - and the starting eleven was identical in each. They made five changes for their Carabo Cup match (v Everton) and their first European fixture - and lost both.
The teams they're playing in the conference league are proper tinpot, amazed they lost their first game

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Villa played same number of matches to us so RDZ going on so much on this topic cuts little ice.
Yep it's very worrying he seems to have an unhealthy obsession with rotating players recently which has been an unmitigated disaster, it's almost like self sabotage. And mentally the players are beginning to believe they're tired as well !!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
When does he make excellent saves?

Care to point out any of his excellent saves? I feel like his highlights reel will contain lots of canny passes and not a lot else.

Anyway I'll disagree with you that he had a poor game, he was perfectly fine, all the shots were towards the corners or deflected, and his passing was solid. The issue with Steele is that he never seems to win points by making amazing saves on shots that were deflected or towards the corners.

Enjoy! xxx

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
watch the first minute on that and tell me one save he shouldn't make. Did you actually watch that?
Sure did. Did you? The video is 7:16 long, and you’ve replied within 4 minutes including the time taken to reply.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Sure did. Did you? The video is 7:16 long, and you’ve replied within 4 minutes including the time taken to reply.
Yeah watched the first minute and saw nothing to warrant "top saves" so I stopped.... Steele is a below average shot stopper. A lot worse than Sanchez in that regard and hopefully Bart is a lot better

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah watched the first minute and saw nothing to warrant "top saves" so I stopped.... Steele is a below average shot stopper. A lot worse than Sanchez in that regard and hopefully Bart is a lot better
:facepalm:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I think the issue isn't the keepers themselves but their constant rotation.
I would prefer there to be a designated number one, who would play the majority of the matches, and without the interference of being switched.
Then we could have our other keeper play the cup matches, and a small handful of league matches too.

Indeed -rotation is a difficult thing but the idea is not that you benefit right now but deeper into the season

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
He did.

"The biggest responsibility is mine because I am coach.​
"We have to adapt this season. It is totally different to last season. It is very tough, we’re playing every three days.​
"We want to compete in every competition and we have to show if we are ready or not. When you play like today, the responsibility is with the coach."​
Shows we are not ready

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here