Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] what to do about the home atmosphere?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Stop slowly ducking about passing along the back line and speed up our attacks!

I know that is the potter way and I know we are in a terrific position, but I was bored witless after the second half whistle and soon as lamptey went off, I thought “ potter wants to hang on to the point”…..I wasn’t wrong!

That was a shocking performance and really showed that our midfielders are basically defensive midfielders ( apart from trossard) who are happy to **** about at the back and in front of our goalkeeper, but cannot play the killer ball……..of course there is no one up there to receive it anyway.

Ditto. Bored stiff second half, the game centred around Duffy and Dunk FFS. We fell for Howe’s tactics and traps hook, line and sinker, needlessly bringing down gravity averse Mags everywhere, killing the game.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The second half was absolute dog shit. Was a struggle to cheer them on, did my best

When you’re constantly watching the game through your fingers as we dick around with the ball getting closer and closer to our own goal line, it is very hard to join a chant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
You will find it at most grounds, l've been to St James's Park the last four seasons, and it's nice to hear their repotoir on my doorstep

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well the answer sure as hell isn’t PB being ‘embaressed’ by some of our support, or saying that they are ‘purporting to support the club’.

BHA has become more ‘Emirates’ than Arsenal, and will continue to do so until boisterous, passionate support is encouraged and not frowned upon.

Weird dig. The atmosphere wasn’t any better before Paul Barber

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Ditto. Bored stiff second half, the game centred around Duffy and Dunk FFS. We fell for Howe’s tactics and traps hook, line and sinker, needlessly bringing down gravity averse Mags everywhere, killing the game.

It really was a turgid watch. Frustration grew quickly, understandably so. As others have mentioned, I thought the atmosphere was decent enough till towards the end of the first when the game went really flat, and got even more flat in the second half. Only the drama at the end woke the fans up.

God, that really was a poor watch, wasn't it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It really was a turgid watch. Frustration grew quickly, understandably so. As others have mentioned, I thought the atmosphere was decent enough till towards the end of the first when the game went really flat, and got even more flat in the second half. Only the drama at the end woke the fans up.

God, that really was a poor watch, wasn't it.

I was in the NS, the first half singing was fine, so good even the WS joined in.

The passing back to and between Dunk/Duffy served absolutely no point today. 9 Newcastle players got the proverbial deckchairs and cigars out. Bissouma, Mac Allister, Veltman did this relentlessly.

Possession for possession’s sake.

Intelligent players should’ve spotted this and tried something different.

If I never see another pass back to Duffy again, I’ll die a happy man.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Our home atmosphere is getting worse by the season. We don’t even have chants for some of our most influential players. Would have never been the case even in the Withdean years.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I was in the NS, the first half singing was fine, so good even the WS joined in.

The passing back to and between Dunk/Duffy served absolutely no point today. 9 Newcastle players got the proverbial deckchairs and cigars out. Bissouma, Mac Allister, Veltman did this relentlessly.

Possession for possession’s sake.

Intelligent players should’ve spotted this and tried something different.

If I never see another pass back to Duffy again, I’ll die a happy man.

It was so frustrating that we had the pace of cucurella and Lamptey on the wings yet barely managed to get in behind them. It's never easy to break down teams that defend as Newcastle did, but feck me passing the ball around the back as we did today at walking football pace was never going to help. Hardly surprising the atmosphere went flat. Darlow wasn't tested properly once. Do feel we miss BW in that role bringing the ball out of defence like he did last. As much as I like Duffy, we've gone backwards this season in that respect.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Our home atmosphere is getting worse by the season. We don’t even have chants for some of our most influential players. Would have never been the case even in the Withdean years.

Erm I think you will find there is one ‘influential’ player who has a chant

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Some may think a singing section is tin pot but, at Withdean although it was bloody difficult to create an atmosphere, we knew that South Stand Block H was the place to be. In my view, the problem at the Amex was created as he Club did not designate a singing section in the North Stand. Those who wanted to sing, got season tickets at the back of the North with the result that you get one song from the Left, another from the Right and a third from behind the goal. We probably sang for about 60 mins in total this evening but, not enough people joined in to keep it going. Lost my voice as usual.
Some also think having the words to Sussex By The Sea on the screens is tin pot but, far more supporters join in now.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It was so frustrating that we had the pace of cucurella and Lamptey on the wings yet barely managed to get in behind them. It's never easy to break down teams that defend as Newcastle did, but feck me passing the ball around the back as we did today at walking football pace was never going to help. Hardly surprising the atmosphere went flat. Darlow wasn't tested properly once. Do feel we miss BW in that role bringing the ball out of defence like he did last. As much as I like Duffy, we've gone backwards this season in that respect.

Couldn’t understand why when lamptey went off why we continued to favour the right hand wing with Veltman unable to to take someone on, with Cucurella in acres of space for the best part.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was so frustrating that we had the pace of cucurella and Lamptey on the wings yet barely managed to get in behind them. It's never easy to break down teams that defend as Newcastle did, but feck me passing the ball around the back as we did today at walking football pace was never going to help. Hardly surprising the atmosphere went flat. Darlow wasn't tested properly once. Do feel we miss BW in that role bringing the ball out of defence like he did last.

Where do you sit?

From the NS I had a great view of Lamptey getting in circa three stunning crosses, beating men for fun as the first half wore on. Wasted by no or half asleep team-mates.

Spot on about BW, many of us said that was why Arsenal paid £50m and we’d miss it.

Beckenbauer-esque, strolling out, within a split second turning defence into a great attack. Called the “transition” these days, vital in the modern game.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In my experience, the atmosphere is brilliant when the team looks like it’s trying. For large parts of today they really didn’t.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Couldn’t understand why when lamptey went off why we continued to favour the right hand wing with Veltman unable to to take someone on, with Cucurella in acres of space for the best part.

It’s common for teams of Brighton’s ability, I’ve noticed that we get tunnel vision for one flank, completely blanking the other.

The truly top teams switch sides in a flash.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Where do you sit?

From the NS I had a great view of Lamptey getting in circa three stunning crosses, beating men for fun as the first half wore on. Wasted by no or half asleep team-mates.

Spot on about BW, many of us said that was why Arsenal paid £50m and we’d miss it.

Beckenbauer-esque, strolling out, within a split second turning defence into a great attack. Called the “transition” these days, vital in the modern game.

East end of the north, and actually you're right, Lamptey did get in behind more than I remembered. The ball across the box that looked like it really should've been finished but two of ours didn't reach it especially. My memory clearly blurred by how bad the second half was.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
East end of the north, and actually you're right, Lamptey did get in behind more than I remembered. The ball across the box that looked like it really should've been finished but two of ours didn't reach it especially. My memory clearly blurred by how bad the second half was.

Lamptey was hardly given the ball second half…goodness knows why not

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yep, it is a tad embarrassing and also detrimental to our results.

Give over. What's your opinion on the posts on this thread saying that it's the same at most other grounds in this country? As I said earlier in the thread, Anfield last week, shyte. Been to St James 4 times, shyte every time. Could go on

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yeah, fans play a huge part.

It's all part of growing as a club. Too many people attend that are there to be entertained rather than support the team. Opposite to the Withdean years, which was the most successful period in our club history.

I don't think this will change until the kids growing up now as die hard Albion fans mature... so Potter needs to prepare the team for moaning and groaning Albion plastics, and how to mentally prepare for that.

Well I’d query most successful bit….and the last sentence :facepalm:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, fans play a huge part.

It's all part of growing as a club. Too many people attend that are there to be entertained rather than support the team. Opposite to the Withdean years, which was the most successful period in our club history.

I don't think this will change until the kids growing up now as die hard Albion fans mature... so Potter needs to prepare the team for moaning and groaning Albion plastics, and how to mentally prepare for that.

:ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here