Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] what to do about the home atmosphere?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
How about the rest of you join in?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah, fans play a huge part.

It's all part of growing as a club. Too many people attend that are there to be entertained rather than support the team. Opposite to the Withdean years, which was the most successful period in our club history.

I don't think this will change until the kids growing up now as die hard Albion fans mature... so Potter needs to prepare the team for moaning and groaning Albion plastics, and how to mentally prepare for that.

Etihad, OT, Anfield (day games), Stamford Bridge, St Mary’s, Emirates, SJP …. to name just a few …. all notoriously quiet home crowds. Especially when not winning by a few goals. NSC’ers quick to mock their lack of home atmosphere, when we travel to those stadia.

It’s the norm, in the sanitised world of all seater stadia, the gentrification of the game, banning orders, stewards clamping down on silliness of any kind.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Howe with 9 men behind the ball, time wasting and with dozens of slow set pieces lofted into the box ….. all made it a poor spectacle.

I kept getting out of my seat for Lamptey, but that was about it.

Albion, lateral everything, few taking responsibility in the final third.

A million miles away from attack-attack-attack against Leicester at home.

All conspiring to make it such a dull game to watch.

The flaw in Potterball is that it struggles against teams that defend in depth and play on the break.whilst chasing us down. I don’t need to list the games that we have failed to win against poor sides who play like this, you all know them :shrug:

Our short passing game was littered with poor passes as we were bullied and fouled again today as it nearly always is in games like this.

Apart from Lamptey and Trossard we were playing like we were terrified of shooting. A really frustrating afternoon/evening for fans and players alike.

You will never get a great atmosphere in games like this

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
aware I'm playing with fire by starting this thread here maybe, and I'm not having a pop at the fans or reincarnating the 'early leavers' threads of yesteryear.

But God, home games are depressing these days. not even because of the result. but the atmosphere was flat from first minute to the last today, and generally has been pretty much since fans came back. the north stand try, but I think we managed two rounds of 'albiiooonn' today followed by utter silence for the rest of the match. and the problem is that this is the norm nowadays, and I definitely think it transfers to the players.

genuinely I'm not sure how we fix this, and this thread is pretty much asking for what suggestions people may have, I know people slate drums and singing sections as tin pot, but it's at the point now where the home atmosphere is genuinely making home games unenjoyable anymore.

The atmos was fine in West Upper.

The team let themselves down today.

The noise level is predicated by what's on offer. At least we didn't boo like entitled ManU and Spuds football tourists, or West Am wankas. Gertcha.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Etihad, OT, Anfield (day games), Stamford Bridge, St Mary’s, Emirates, SJP …. to name just a few …. all notoriously quiet home crowds. Especially when not winning by a few goals. NSC’ers quick to mock their lack of home atmosphere, when we travel to those stadia.

It’s the norm, in the sanitised world of all seater stadia, the gentrification of the game, banning orders, stewards clamping down on silliness of any kind.

There wasn't much atmos at the Goldstone most of the time. A bit of the North stand declaring important statements about their widdle and ****, but pleasingly silent in the South, East and West.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If you don't think the atmosphere is good enough, sing louder.

Plenty of people moaning about it while expecting everyone else to do it for them.

I've got a sore throat after that so reckon i did my bit

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There wasn't much atmos at the Goldstone most of the time. A bit of the North stand declaring important statements about their widdle and ****, but pleasingly silent in the South, East and West.

…. and the audible groans at player failings.

Plus falling attendances once no longer a winning machine. Not always salad days.

D82AA380-FDB9-4BF3-AB96-F9E2CB7D0CCD.png

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Mustafa seems to be ignoring these facts about most other grounds in this country (it's not even just a sanitised premier league thing either, lower leagues too) to suit his agenda

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mustafa seems to be ignoring these facts about most other grounds in this country (it's not even just a sanitised premier league thing either, lower leagues too) to suit his agenda

We can’t have it both ways.

Slagging off the home crowds on all our travels, as dead.

Whilst expecting a caldron at the Amex to drive Duffy and Dunk on to making an instinctive attacking pass.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
…. and the audible groans at player failings.

Plus falling attendances once no longer a winning machine. Not always salad days.

View attachment 141937

Mostly brown salad.

(I have an amusing anecdote about brown salad that, on second thoughts, is probably best left for another time :facepalm:)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s always appalling. We are what we are.

As I said, it sounds decent to me in West Upper.

Even I shout 'come on!', and sing along with the songs. Da da da 'Sussex bye the sea', dee dee dee 'one of our own', and my particular favourite 'you're gonna get your ****in' heads kicked in'.

:shrug:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It’s common for teams of Brighton’s ability, I’ve noticed that we get tunnel vision for one flank, completely blanking the other.

The truly top teams switch sides in a flash.

Trossard was the only one to attempt a diagonal switch, he shouldn’t be that deep to be in that position. Surely Lallana, MacAlister are capable?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
If all the people that moan about the lack of atmosphere on here sung, the Amex would be rocking.

In the north stand and first half was ok, not brilliant but ok. Second half was lack lustre much like the football guess the life had been sucked out of us.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I may have missed something here, but I'm sure it wasn't canned atmosphere I heard on Talkshite, whilst driving home from work tonight :shrug:

This! Was listening similarly and the atmosphere sound electric! Be nice if Talksport actually commented on the game they’re featuring instead of eg betting odds, talking about what’s coming up, games played earlier, games being played tomorrow, the shipping forecast, weather…anything but the ACTUAL game!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
This! Was listening similarly and the atmosphere sound electric! Be nice if Talksport actually commented on the game they’re featuring instead of eg betting odds, talking about what’s coming up, games played earlier, games being played tomorrow, the shipping forecast, weather…anything but the ACTUAL game!

First half was OK but died out as the game meandered on. Second half was dire like the game; frustration and boredom grew.

You could probably hear the Geordies tbh - they were pretty loud for good parts of the game, bar towards end of the first half when they likely got frustrated with how ultra defensive they were playing.

Very similar theme with many clubs having loud away following but quiet home atmospheres overall though, Newcastle included. Problem at the Amex imo is core groups of singers are too spread out. Too little/non-existent coordination between groups. Atmosphere can still be rocking though when it gets going. Today isn't anything to judge by imo as the game was awful

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here