Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
p07p7ysg.jpg

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
HWT uses it all the time, without any sense of irony either. I struggle to see why he’s allowed to and it’s widely deemed acceptable to describe white middle aged males yet anyone calling someone of a non white skin colour would be rightly pilloried. Perhaps it should be banned by NSC? It hardly adds to the quality of debate and is deliberately used to provoke and slur someone’s opinion in a lazy stereotypical manner.

White people insulting white people is insulting. It is not racism. The only people who are trying to promote this bullshit as racism, are people who want to blur the lines of racism to make their actual racism acceptable. It's a ridiculous premise, made mostly by ridiculous people aka uber snowflakes. How many people of colour have insulted people of colour, because of their colour?

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not really. Not all Brexiters, for example, are gammon. There are many with perfectly valid issues with the EU who can express them in perfectly erudite and polite ways. Whereas "gammon" is usually reserved for the "bloody foreigners, why are they all coming here, stealing our jobs, I blame those traitorous Remoaners who all vote Jeremy Corbyn coz he wants the terrorists to win" type Brexiter, the above said at increasing pace and with increasing fury at their imagined enemy.

Every day's a school day. I hadn't noticed that "gammon" was such a precise definition. I will watch for it's usage and see if it fits with the above. Gut feel tells me it won't, but I will certainly watch out for it.

Genuine question. Are you telling me that a "gammon" can only be a Tory, Leave voter, and even more specifically, one who cannot express himself with anything above a gutter-level of intelligence? So, someone couldn't be a gammon for their views on say, Meghan Markle? Oh, unless they are implying that SHE is a "bloody foreigner, coming over here ..." etc. Am I beginning to understand?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
White people insulting white people is insulting. It is not racism. The only people who are trying to promote this bullshit as racism, are people who want to blur the lines of racism to make their actual racism acceptable. It's a ridiculous premise, made mostly by ridiculous people aka uber snowflakes. How many people of colour have insulted people of colour, because of their colour?

racism is racist because racist racism is racist

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Gammon is a cheap meat that was eaten a lot during the war when food was rationed and people found it difficult to eat The much more expensive lamb or beef. The taste hasn’t improved over the years, gammon still tastes revolting but yes it’s still cheap to buy.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Every day's a school day. I hadn't noticed that "gammon" was such a precise definition. I will watch for it's usage and see if it fits with the above. Gut feel tells me it won't, but I will certainly watch out for it.

Genuine question. Are you telling me that a "gammon" can only be a Tory, Leave voter, and even more specifically, one who cannot express himself with anything above a gutter-level of intelligence? So, someone couldn't be a gammon for their views on say, Meghan Markle? Oh, unless they are implying that SHE is a "bloody foreigner, coming over here ..." etc. Am I beginning to understand?

This may help: https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-gammon-20180906177019

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Gammon is however you spin it a racial reference in the same way that Coconut is. White dude who blusters and Black who acts white. Used mainly by ingroups.

It is yet another term in the political lexicon to enrich online debate.

The question is why, given its general left to right usage, are the political group that claims objections to every kind of racism possible are pushing to normalise a perjorative racial term? Because this gives people with a more malevolent agenda the added cover to add to the lexicon?

If Gammon is OK what about Roasties?
Again its a food comparison reference that relates to certain behaviour.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Roastie

ftr
Gammon is best served with either Roast potatoes or mash and cheesy leeks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Absolutely, categorically, NO.

Obviously Brexit and associated handbags are the big subject of the day, and an awful lot of vocal Leavers ARE gammon, but gammon were around a long time before the issue of EU membership came front and centre (they just hadn't been termed such). Gammon will get frothy and gammony about foreigners, but equally about 'PC gone mad' nonsense, uppity women getting above their station, and any manner of Daily Mail outrages.

Watch one of Harry Enfield's 'Self-Righteous Brothers' sketches. That is 20-30 years ago. The chap HE himself plays in those is TEXTBOOK gammon.

HE.jpg

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Gammon is however you spin it a racial reference in the same way that Coconut is. White dude who blusters and Black who acts white. Used mainly by ingroups.

It is yet another term in the political lexicon to enrich online debate.

The question is why, given its general left to right usage, are the political group that claims objections to every kind of racism possible are pushing to normalise a perjorative racial term? Because this gives people with a more malevolent agenda the added cover to add to the lexicon?

If Gammon is OK what about Roasties?
Again its a food comparison reference that relates to certain behaviour.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Roastie

No. Its an insult. It is not racism.
Gammon is best served with either Roast potatoes or mash and cheesy leeks.

No. It Is an insult. It is not racism.

Jan 30, 2008
POL POT / IDI AMIN???

regards
DF

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Absolutely, categorically, NO.

Obviously Brexit and associated handbags are the big subject of the day, and an awful lot of vocal Leavers ARE gammon, but gammon were around a long time before the issue of EU membership came front and centre (they just hadn't been termed such). Gammon will get frothy and gammony about foreigners, but equally about 'PC gone mad' nonsense, uppity women getting above their station, and any manner of Daily Mail outrages.

Watch one of Harry Enfield's 'Self-Righteous Brothers' sketches. That is 20-30 years ago. The chap HE himself plays in those is TEXTBOOK gammon.

View attachment 119895

They're nothing new, they always seem to feel someone else is better off than them and everything in life is always someone else's fault but their own.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

You’ve jumped the gun there. Who said anything about white people insulting white people. I’ve no idea what colour people are on NSC nor any other digital platform. You’re presuming everyone’s white if you’re saying there’s no cause to kerb it. It probably would be deemed racist if a snowy white flake in a workplace was called that by someone of colour, I’d have thought HR would have a field day over that don’t you? Bloody hell, I’ve seen people sacked for a lot lot less! I think anyone slinging such insults around that in anyway could be linked to skin colour whether deemed to be racist yet or not probably needs to take a good look at themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here