Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What The Hell Is A Gammon?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
i would have thought a "gammon" is a rather ruddy faced ,overweight bloke ,possibly with high blood pressure , prostate issues , probably remembers what it's like to actually earn a decent weeks money .....no ...not ringing any bells.....i would say

"gammons" in the north would be a lot better at being a "gammon" then a southern "gammon"...all most southern "gammons" have to moan about is noisy neighbours and those awful pictures on the internet of tigers and dogs being strung up in cages ready to be eaten ...or perhaps the stench from the curry house ...:rolleyes: another tasty little moniker to chuck into the mix to detract from the real problem.....night night..x

How many have you had?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
D'oh! that's me all confused again. The previous definition was so much clearer.

So it's Tory, Brexit, foreigners, "PC gone mad", and uppity women getting above their station. Not quite sure what that last one is, but we do seem to be broadening this a bit now.

Can a Labour or a leaver be a gammon, how about a Green Party member, or an uppity man getting above his station. Are faux outrages from The Sun, Mirror, or Piers Morgan outside the realm?

Honestly not being deliberately stupid here, I just still seem to come back to it being an acceptable insult for Person A to call Person B, whenever Person B says something person A doesn't agree with. Ah, unless it's more about the inflated level of outrage. Is a gammon, essentially someone getting out of their pram about something? A gentle discussion about almost anything (coming back to your Harry Enfield sketch example), the moment someone erupts into far too much passion and fury "but if Kylie Minogue came round here ...." the person they are talking to is entitled to say, "oy Frank, you gammon, shut it!"

I think you've misunderstood what he's saying there. "Uppity women" is one of the things that a gammon might get annoyed about.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a very strange comment. Just trying to understand a modern term that I don't use because I, possibly mistakenly, believe is just an acceptable insult that can be thrown at someone, anyone who disagrees with you.

If that is "over-analysing" then so be it, just trying to educate myself. :shrug:

Apologies. I wasn't directing the comment at people genuinely curious. It is a term used a lot on here towards certain types (well you have seen the posts) and it annoys some of them. My recollection is gammon and broflake were invented as rebuttals to people who call anyone who objects to racism or homophobia as a 'snowflake' or 'soyboy'. This includes some of the people I have on ignore (plus a few I refuse to put on ignore because that seems to annoy them even more). I was a bit surprised that the word is genuinely misunderstood but, I guess, with certain folk pretending it is a term used by raving leftist apologists for the IRA and Islamic terrorists to vilify good upstanding patriotic middle aged white men, it is easy to be confused....:thumbsup:

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
"gammons" in the north would be a lot better at being a "gammon" then a southern "gammon"...all most southern "gammons" have to moan about is noisy neighbours and those awful pictures on the internet of tigers and dogs being strung up in cages ready to be eaten ...or perhaps the stench from the curry house ...:rolleyes: another tasty little moniker to chuck into the mix to detract from the real problem.....night night..x

Gammons in the north aka Norf FC

hqdefault.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Gammons in the north aka Norf FC

hqdefault.jpg

I have sometimes wondered what Eric Cartman would look like if he were allowed to grow up. Thanks for sharing. :mad::lolol:

Trump.jpg

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Definitely not. I know some leavers who are definitely not racists.

But I'll bet most racists voted leave.

Good point. I certainly wouldn't argue with that.

It's comments from the likes of Clamp the troll, the Daily Mail, Tommy Robinson etc, and the Islamaphobic narrative around Brexit which has made it almost impossible to distinguish "leave voters" or anyone who voted for Boris from some kind of racist agenda. That's just not the case. Polarised SJW politics means that if you voted blue, or leave, or both, you have voted for something supported by racists, are guilty by association, and just as racist as them. It's pure Python.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here