Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What song brings tears to your eyes?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I have a couple actually, both for the same reason.

Run by Snow Patrol and Your Song by Elton John.

When our twins were born and in intensive care in Portsmouth, I had to drive there and back to Worthing, sometimes twice a day and towards the end, when our dear little Pip was slipping away, these two songs came on the radio as I was coming through Arundel one dark December evening. Every time I hear these songs, I either have to turn the radio off or leave the room.

You HAVE to watch this Oxygen 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AlSnTcet4U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bh1kBbk0io

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Two for me.

I was bearing up to my Dad's funeral pretty well until they played "Abide with me" and that cracked me totally.

And this song always reminds of my real first love

The line which gets me is "you take it casually and that's what's killing me". Summed up exactly how I felt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I find this an uplifting song. A call to arms for the working class.

I wasn't being critical, it that's what you meant. It always makes me think of the times, especially the Falklands episode, in which Thatcher declined to respond to the secret service warnings that the Argies were planning an invasion (because she approved of Galtieri) then got very lucky (Belgrano), and lots of British young men were killed as a result. And then this 'great victory' cemented Thatcher as a 'British War Hero' in the media (Murdoch and Mail). And then the Miner's strike, and everything we are now reading about the police - the same lies concocted by the very same police leadership that presided over Hillsborough. It all makes me very angry, how those smug prejudiced corrupt *******s fooled sufficient numbers of the public/electrorate to hold sway for so long. Between the wars always reminds me of this. Very sad. Apologies for derailing this thread. I leave you with this, from Private Eye (not famous as a hot bed of lefty radicalism):

falklands-war-cartoon.jpeg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Larry Day

May 13, 2016
Haywards
Joe Jackson's "Home Town"

Although they refer to Portsmouth, the lyrics always remind me of Brighton: "I seem to hear a distant sound... Of waves and seagulls. Football crowds and church bells.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Snow patrol you could be happy doe s me bad break up and coldplay the scientist was played at my best mates funeral.they both pull on the heart strings

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Early morning 'bird song'. Gulls, collared pidgeons and crows! At all bloody hours! They wake me up and then I want to kill em all!
FFS at this time of year it's at 5am!

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Loads of songs by Jackson Browne. 'The only child', 'Sleeps dark and silent gate', 'For a dancer', 'I thought I was a child', 'Late for the sky', 'Fountain of sorrow', 'Farther on'. Talent beyond belief.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I once saw him in concert at The Concorde 2.

I saw him at Glastonbury one year, but it happened to be during one of the many hours i was a tad off my head. I recall ruining it for my friend, a fellow ESmithite, by singing along to every song rather loudly right into his face. I was incredibly happy to see him play, although would've liked to again in quieter and more sober surroundings, and without myself out-of-tunely accompanying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here