Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What song brings tears to your eyes?

boik

I think there will be loads of songs that affect people for personal reasons, but more interesting to me are the songs that affect me even though they don't really relate to my life, just brilliant written. For example, these two get me every time. (although to be fair I could have used just about everything that Mark Kozelek has written. "Lego" is very intriguing as I don't think I've ever read what it is really about. Is is the death of a sibling, parents break-up or just a general mourning for the loss of childhood?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Re:Stacks - Bon Iver
Teen Angst - M83
Something's Going To Come - Adem
You Got The Love (Erens Bootleg Mix) - The Source Ft Candi Staton
Atmosphere - Joy Division

Actually, I could probably come up with another dozen - I quite easily cry at music/films/TV/football.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Gravity by Embrace and Lullaby by Professor Green. Both very intense songs for me to hear.

Only song that upsets me so much I can't be in its presence when it's on is At your side by Sade

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
Hallelujah - As a massive admirer of Leonard Cohen the man, the poet & the musician there is only one version & that's the one by Leonard himself. So many verses & interpretations it just has me welling up. Seeing him perform it in concert numbed me with joy & the tears flowed. As near to religious as I get

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division. That intro hits hard & I'm gulping. A song so beautiful yet sad & a prelude to tragic loss

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
The Night I Heard Caruso Sing - Everything But The Girl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What a wonderful world, Louis Armstrong, played at my Dads funeral, it just summed the old boys attitude to life.
Gone 3 1/2 years, and I still miss him every day

Last edited:

Empire State of Mind by Alicia Keys because it is overblown nonsense with crap lyrics - "Big Lights Will Inspire You..." wtf.

In the spirit of the thread "The Aviator's Song " by Gretchen Peters - lovely understated personal track about her father's life.

I have a problem keeping my eyes dry with Show of Hands' song "The Dive", about ties that hold families together:

Good man, big SOH fan. " Cousin Jack" brings a lump to my throat despite not having one drop of Cornish blood in me

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This by the verve, reminds me of when my dad was dying from cancer and on awful chemotherapy.

My father in law was also dying for cancer when this was out, and the drugs didn't work. My wife still can't listen to it to this day without tears rolling down her face.

What an absolutely beautiful song.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Pretty much all of Let England Shake is gut wrenching, emotional stuff. One of the greatest albums ever, in my opinion.
Yes, I love that album. It's very uplifting - and even to me feels quite patriotic, though I doubt that's quite the intention - because it showcases the people and the folk memories not the general historical view.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Don't Give up by Peter Gabriel, with a little help from Kate Bush.

Always a great fan of Peter Gabriel, and particularly th album "So", but I was out of work for a while in 1992/93 (semi-househusbanding because my wife had a good job, but still trying to get back in to work. It was black Wednesday, with Norman Lamont announcing increases in the interest rate about every 5 minutes and then finally withdrawing from the Exchange Rate Mechanism. I was sitting at our kitchen table thinking "Will I ever get back in to work again"........ and then this song came up on the radio.

The words were just so apt and the sentiment of the song is wonderful. Always gets me.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Don't Give up by Peter Gabriel, with a little help from Kate Bush.

Always a great fan of Peter Gabriel, and particularly th album "So", but I was out of work for a while in 1992/93 (semi-househusbanding because my wife had a good job, but still trying to get back in to work. It was black Wednesday (16th September, 1992 - just looked it up), with Norman Lamont announcing increases in the interest rate about every 5 minutes and then finally withdrawing from the Exchange Rate Mechanism. I was sitting at our kitchen table thinking "Will I ever get back in to work again"........ and then this song came up on the radio.

The words were just so apt and the sentiment of the song is wonderful. Always gets me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here