Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What should be done with the King Alfred?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Fundamentally, the King Alfred’s purpose is to provide sport and leisure facilities for the community of Brighton and Hove and I believe spiritually, if not legally, this site still has that obligation.

What type of developments would you like to see there?

The short term could be a quick and easy to build temporary ice rink www.sussexicerink.co.uk ?

A vision for the future www.kingalfredarena.co.uk ?

Or should we get rid of all sport and leisure facilities altogether and build a new residential complex in its place?

With the Brighton International Arena now dead in the water should the King Alfred be considered as the best location for sports development and leisure in the city?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I love the idea of the King Alfred arena proposal, although the proposal does seem a bit light on details (changing rooms, refreshment area, plant room for pool, equipment stores for pool stuff and rink maintainence gear, reception).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Bring back:

2274049428_2c16048257.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fundamentally, the King Alfred’s purpose is to provide sport and leisure facilities for the community of Brighton and Hove and I believe spiritually, if not legally, this site still has that obligation.

What type of developments would you like to see there?

The short term could be a quick and easy to build temporary ice rink www.sussexicerink.co.uk ?

A vision for the future www.kingalfredarena.co.uk ?

Or should we get rid of all sport and leisure facilities altogether and build a new residential complex in its place?

With the Brighton International Arena now dead in the water should the King Alfred be considered as the best location for sports development and leisure in the city?

I tell you what should have been done with it: Karis should have been allowed more time to come up with the funding for the Gehry proposal. But Mary Mears saw an opportunity to shelve a legitimate and approved proposal her party did not like, costing us a few million in the process.

Oct 25, 2003
i think good leisure centre should be the priority......if they can factor in an indoor arena/ice rink type thing aswell then great

it's quite a big site when you factor in that shit amusement park thing and that grassy shit on the other side

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
that sort of arean would be perfect to have some WRESTLING action in

Cromwell Road Gull

Jul 2, 2008
Does anything proposed for Brighton actually ever get built (apart from Falmer of course)

Argus was saying today that the Brightom centre wont be touched until 2015, The i360 wont be done in time for Olympics and also the King Alfred fiasco.

I think we may have already scared off potential investors/developers who are too scared of pumping milliosn into legal proceedings and planning stages to end up getting a no answer.

Kind Alfred should be leisure facilities - as a City we have shocking swimming facilities

scooter1

How soon is now?
Just keeping the place clean would be a major development. i took my little boy there swimming the other week and its a shithole - so bad I had to complain. The changing rooms are dark and dirty. Kids were slipping over where the anti-slip tiles have worn down - poor poor poor

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Agree that the King Alfred is decidally tatty these days but no improvements would have been justified when is was due to rebuilt.
In the present financial situation it is unlikely that there will be any change in the near future

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
The answer is .......Demolition.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
King Alfred Apathy :(

Thanks to all those who added to the King Alfred thread although it seems that there was not many vocal opinions.

I guess this sort of apathy response also rubs off on the councilers, so no wonder why nothing gets done in the city and the most logical plans are overlooked.

The King Alfred issue is in line with the football stadium problem we had, but it seems to have been swept under the carpet by the community and councilors alike.

I did think that all who supported Falmer would have had an interest in the King Alfred as a possible second great sporting venue for the city, but alas it seems I was wrong.

Thanks anyway NSC

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Thanks to all those who added to the King Alfred thread although it seems that there was not many vocal opinions.

I guess this sort of apathy response also rubs off on the councilers, so no wonder why nothing gets done in the city and the most logical plans are overlooked.

The King Alfred issue is in line with the football stadium problem we had, but it seems to have been swept under the carpet by the community and councilors alike.

I did think that all who supported Falmer would have had an interest in the King Alfred as a posibe second great sporting venue for the city, but alas it seems I was wrong.

Thanks anyway NSC

Give the people coming home from work a chance to contribute to the thread...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Should be a leisure centre to the minimum standard of something like the spectrum in Guildford but more upto date, obviously.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The town desperately needs a great swimming pool. It should have great facilities for kids, plus a quality, separate pool for lane/competitive swimming. A more modern version of Olympos in Burgess Hill, crossed with my old local, modern pool right on the beach in Melbourne would be ideal http://www.stkildaseabaths.com.au/gallery.php. The current King Alfred and Prince Regent both fall well short.

It should also have other sporting facilities. If they can incorporate affordable keyworker housing on the site then great, but leisure facilities should be the key.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here