Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What should be done with the King Alfred?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Are you suggesting the council sell the site to a private developer?

No not specifically or entirely.

For example even the i360 project is trying to auction the name of the tower to raise the money, and Falmer Stadium has raised capital by selling its name to Amex. Though I wouldnt know how much was raised.

i360 to auction name

Initially as a test run for the King Alfred Arena there is a realistic possibility we could have a temporary ice rink above the old ten pin bowling for very little cost to determine what the demand is for this facility.

This would be a short term and easily affordable start to a long term vision.

If it doesnt work it would be up and then down within 6 years without harming anyone or the land.

With the council stating there is no plan for the King Alfred for the next 15 years, the temporary ice rink falls comfortably within this time frame.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Maybe the towers would look okay on the Brighton Centre site. But, I thought they would look bloody awesome at the end of the lawns, a stand-alone landmark building linking up our city.

How on earth would building the Karis eyesore be 'linking up our city' -if anything two 28 storey towers and the surrounding eight or nine 10 storey enabling blocks would create a real division. The other three contenders in the original competition all had a better vision of a modern relatively low-level development that harmonised with the locale.

How many 'landmark buildings' (another hackneyed cliche) do we need before none of them are 'landmarks' anymore?!

And as for 'lacking vision' well Hitler had vision, Mussolini had vision and Bin Laden certainly has vision - just because someone has'vision' doesnt mean its right for the time, place or people!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here