Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] What shall I do with my DVD’s?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And just a bit further along the same road is a massive charity depot with easy parking .... It "felt wrong" but really you couldn't be arsed and just did the easiest thing, out of sight out of mind.
I stuffed about 150 cds and countless dvds into a bunch of bin bags and put them in the bins outside.
There’s a large Sali Army shop at the back of my house that takes all this sort of stuff but I was in “cleaning mode”.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
If you don't find way to monetise or donate or re-use/re-purpose them, please don't just bin them.

Recycling HAS to be the way to go, Shirley, and a quick internet search reveals...

West Sussex County Council's website says that "all of its recycling centres accept CDs and DVDs" https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/land-...west-sussex/a-to-z-of-recycling/cds-and-dvds/

I can see less info for East Sussex (haven't looked too hard TBF), but a search on this website https://www.recyclenow.com/recycle-an-item shows a place in Bexhill that will take them:

HFS Bexhill 47 London Road, Bexhill, TN39 3JY​

However, the HFS website itself makes no mention of the service that I can see.

Brighton & Hove City Council's website suggests DVDs & CDs can be recycled at their recycling centres:
1698765911187.png

I have a modest number of CDs and DVDs that have been in our loft in boxes since the day we moved in (8 years ago). In a sign of the times (and personal laziness), we've since bought a few of those films on streaming services rather than dig them (and the PlayStation to play them on) out of the loft. :nono:
I don't really want to get rid though - their time will come! :)

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I found that Music Magpie were rip offs that give you 20p for a DVD, whereas Zifit and Selltiback gave me £1.20 for the same titles.

Best thing to do is get all 3 apps and scan each one as they do vary on price.

You may end up sending 80% to Zifit and 10% to Music Magpie and Selliback.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Had a sort out of our DVDs and blue rays a couple of years ago. kept 30 or so films that were the best ever favourite films that I have to have a physical copy.
Last week stumbled across this stash and realised I hadn't watch a single one since the clear out and so went to CEX with some games and got a store credit for £13
felt good to let it all go

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Clearing out a spare room, literally boxes of DVD’s. World Cinema, 70s Comedy. Auf Pet, Breaking Bad, Di Nero movies, Fawlty Towers. Survivors, Prospects, Blackstuff, Simpsons, you name it.

I want to keep them but why?

I’ve got nothing to play them on. I’ll probably never watch them again.

They just take up loads of space and I don’t think even charity shops take them.

Inspire me NSC, give me the courage to take them to the tip.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I also still watch dvd's. I have films that are just not available to stream (a few obscurish spaghetti westerns too) as I *almost* exclusively watch old films.

Charity shop is the answer. Give them another life - someone will buy them!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Doesn't your computer have a dvd reader?

Keep them. When Russia destroys or corrupts the internet, or when the global warming activists realise that the internet uses more power than the UK and usage gets rationed, then you'll still have something to watch.
Which is why I won’t bin my cd collection.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Clearing out a spare room, literally boxes of DVD’s. World Cinema, 70s Comedy. Auf Pet, Breaking Bad, Di Nero movies, Fawlty Towers. Survivors, Prospects, Blackstuff, Simpsons, you name it.

I want to keep them but why?

I’ve got nothing to play them on. I’ll probably never watch them again.

They just take up loads of space and I don’t think even charity shops take them.

Inspire me NSC, give me the courage to take them to the tip.
Oxfam shop.................many other charity shops are available !

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I got rid of all mine on Music Magpie.

Get rid. Take a deep breath and be free!

Music Magpie (sounds like a good idea, hadn't tought of that), charity shop (if they'll take them) or just bin them. Then stop worrying about them. You Tube is your friend if you get a dose of nostalgia.
Music Magpie amused me for about half hour, most got rejected, these are the only ones they wanted (NB a couple on there belong to the wife, honest) I might keep a few but most will go to the charity shop.

IMG_2560.jpeg
IMG_2558.jpeg
IMG_2559.jpeg

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I started collecting DVDs again a few years ago, I often get them from charity shops. As I get older I realise that I tend to watch the same films at least once a year, most streaming sites are quite shit and I like to actually own something instead of everything digital. It the same with Playstation I'd always opt for owning CDs instead of digital games.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here