Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] What shall I do with my DVD’s?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Clearing out a spare room, literally boxes of DVD’s. World Cinema, 70s Comedy. Auf Pet, Breaking Bad, Di Nero movies, Fawlty Towers. Survivors, Prospects, Blackstuff, Simpsons, you name it.

I want to keep them but why?

I’ve got nothing to play them on. I’ll probably never watch them again.

They just take up loads of space and I don’t think even charity shops take them.

Inspire me NSC, give me the courage to take them to the tip.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
This is the sort of crux of it. Do people actually still buy them?

You might get a pound each if you're lucky. Rarer ones might go for more (steelbooks, limited editions, box sets, unopened etc).

I got rid of all mine in one go to music magpie. You might get 20p each from them, but it's the easiest way to get rid all in one go, if you want some pocket change for them... otherwise it's tip/charity shop.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Don't take them to the tip ffs! Most charity shops will take them and make money on them. I still buy secondhand DVDs and blurays (for the extras and the better picture) of favourite movies. There are many films still hard to find on streaming services (and even if they are on there many are not free or cheap). And I'm still old fashioned as I like a physical copy of my favourite things.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I got rid of all mine on Music Magpie.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
An interesting question from @Peacehaven Wild Kids. At my time of life I know I will never watch all my DVDs again. And as for my CDs.....I have over 20,000 items (some being 2 h Paul Van Dyke, Misery Hour and John Peel programmes) on iPod on shuffle, but I have another 500 Cds worth of new stuff (trance, witch house, trap, mostly) not on iTunes. Mrs T is getting fed up with the CD mountain. We hear talk of 'legacy' Brighton supporters, of which I am one. But I'm beginning to feel like a legacy human being.

And let's not get started on books :facepalm:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Clearing out a spare room, literally boxes of DVD’s. World Cinema, 70s Comedy. Auf Pet, Breaking Bad, Di Nero movies, Fawlty Towers. Survivors, Prospects, Blackstuff, Simpsons, you name it.

They just take up loads of space and I don’t think even charity shops take them.

Get rid. Take a deep breath and be free!

Music Magpie (sounds like a good idea, hadn't tought of that), charity shop (if they'll take them) or just bin them. Then stop worrying about them. You Tube is your friend if you get a dose of nostalgia.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
1698710354339.png
You could make a dress for a lady (or Man or non binary etc.) to wear to an event where it might be seen as appropriate. (I do not know where that would be)

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Doesn't your computer have a dvd reader?

Keep them. When Russia destroys or corrupts the internet, or when the global warming activists realise that the internet uses more power than the UK and usage gets rationed, then you'll still have something to watch.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As you say, most charity shops won't take them these days, they're worthless and take up loads of space.

If you're not actually looking to profit from them in some way (because you won't really), then my suggestion would be to drop them off at a care home. Those poor old duffers stuck in front of Homes Under the Hammer, Catchphrase and Bargain Hunt, day-in, day-out, would be made up to have a few decent afternoon matinees, or a good box set to get stuck into.

My missus works at one and I've shipped a few that way (although I strongly suspect my Withdean Years DVD's ended up there and have disappeared without a trace) :angry:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
I want to copy all mine onto a USB memory stick so I can take on holiday and use when no wifi for Netflix - eg camping or world travel to some remote parts of the world. We do long holidays and gives something to do when raining! Also not everything on streaming and useful to keep Christmas ones for grandkids.

Then I intend to put them 10 at a time into the local “street library” we have so some of the local oldies can pick them up and watch. If someone nicks them all then good luck to them as not much value in eBay etc. And by drip feeding them in it will take about 6 months if I do it weekly.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
As you say, most charity shops won't take them these days, they're worthless and take up loads of space.

If you're not actually looking to profit from them in some way (because you won't really), then my suggestion would be to drop them off at a care home. Those poor old duffers stuck in front of Homes Under the Hammer, Catchphrase and Bargain Hunt, day-in, day-out, would be made up to have a few decent afternoon matinees, or a good box set to get stuck into.

My missus works at one and I've shipped a few that way (although I strongly suspect my Withdean Years DVD's ended up there and have disappeared without a trace) :angry:
Do they not have wifi and laptops? I've always thought I'd be alright in a home as long as I had the internet and a computer. If they don't even have that they may as well be in prison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here