Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Restrictions Do You Think Should Be Eased After Current 3 Week Review Period Ends?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anyone expecting anything to change seriously before the start of June at the earliest is deluding themselves

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Glad you have the stats on how much of the population already have it! Noone has a clue at present.

He doesn't need the stats, just basically reiterating what was said in the briefing. Too early to let up on the lockdown. Change now and we'll likely see the figures get worse. Hey though, if that's worth a few pot plants then so be it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the subject of trump and I can’t say I’ve watched him over the past couple of days so it could of changed.

I get the feeling he would open up everything tomorrow, why is the question.

Pressure from rich donors?
High jobless numbers in election year?
They have just lost complete control and it’s not worth trying?

I’m less pessimistic (or realistic) I don’t think it will be fully back to normal by the end of the year, but I think we will be 80 percent there.

Trump’s essentially pro business and stock markets, and has alt-right nationalists whispering in his ear all day about China using this to gain an economic head start on the USA and so gain supremacy as THE super power.

Behind the nightly crocodile tears, Trump doesn’t give a toss about the socio-economically deprived dying from covid19.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The other thing in regards to disorder is, in a few weeks, not just lock down fatigue, but the economic reality really hitting home. Universal Credit wasn't designed for this, assuming you can get on the website and apply for it in the first place as the claimant count and number of new applicants has soared. I can see shop security guards having their work cut out, to put it very mildly.

By last Friday, 950,000 new claims for UC were complete and accepted.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Anyone expecting anything to change seriously before the start of June at the earliest is deluding themselves

Some of my colleagues were surprised the other day when the local government announced that San Juan was cancelled- it's a festival that involves the whole city descending onto the beach one night in June. Despite the seemingly obvious gravity of the situation, there are some who still don't have a clue what's going on.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Exactly this. We are flattening the curve. If there was a miracle cure, vaccine or even antibody test we probably wouldn't be in lockdown now but none of those three things are on the horizon. We cannot lockdown forever. Like it or not this is risk management, albeit with big stakes. The economy will have to come first once we're confident the NHS won't be overwhelmed.

Agreed. The other thing to factor in is that the longer the lockdown continues, the deeper the recession -- or even depression -- and the greater the debt. And all of that will lead to depression, suicide, alcoholism, etc, etc. We've pretty much closed down about half the economy. And no-one is talking about how this is going to be re-paid or, more accurately, who will pick up the bill. And after ten years of austerity.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Going to the pub.
Having a zoom quiz for a mates stag do tomorrow..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's a shame, because that's exactly what my wife and I have to do, obviously excluding her "days out" for chemotherapy!

There really are some selfish people about if they can't do even a soft lockdown for 3 months without going crazy!

I’m not sure there’s anything soft about any of this

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
By comparisons I guess... 12 weeks in solitary confinement against being able to go out to work, for shopping and exercise. No the second option isn’t easy, but it’s certainly soft compared to the first...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Agreed. The other thing to factor in is that the longer the lockdown continues, the deeper the recession -- or even depression -- and the greater the debt. And all of that will lead to depression, suicide, alcoholism, etc, etc. We've pretty much closed down about half the economy. And no-one is talking about how this is going to be re-paid or, more accurately, who will pick up the bill. And after ten years of austerity.

Print some extra money, it worked for the banks! :smile:

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Herein lies the governments conundrum - right now one hour of exercise is seen to be more beneficial to the population than enforcing true lockdown over the perceived risk of infection.

I don’t disagree that they need to do more, if we are to stay locked down, for those currently out of work [self employed or redundant and not furloughed] if they’re serious about minimising the overall impact of this situation psychologically and economically.

But make no mistake this is a global issue. If another government blinks first for economic over health rationale [looking at you Trump] then it could be absolute chaos.

If it were me I’d risk adding £X billion to our national debt to provide for those in need and keep us locked down as long as needed but I accept this is an unlikely outcome.

Hammer and dance as the scientists said, hammer and dance.

I’d still argue anyone thinking any semblance of normality will exist in less than 12-18 months time is absolutely kidding themselves. The new normal is more likely to be split office/working rotas, managed entry/exit to travel arrangements and almost certainly no return to mass gatherings of any kind before the end of that timeline.

Normality not returning for 12/18 months is yet another example of pure guess work which sadly riddles these boards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here