Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What next for Gareth Southgate?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Whatever happens i think he'll leave the job. I reckon he'll try to find some cosy overseas managers job like la galaxy or something.

As for the identity ofntyr new England manager. Yes a lack of quality candidates. Im not convinced we'll look at an English manager if the candidate isn't there. More likely we'll go foreign than go for dyche or someone

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
English manager leading the country to a semi-final in 2018 and final in 2020... he'll absolutely get a job in the PL, just like Hodgson, Sven, Keegan, Hoddle, Taylor etc. got PL jobs despite far worse results with the national team.

Not sure he'll be a great appointment by any means but he'll absolutely manage a PL team in the not too distant future.
Probably Everton

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Say he does leave after the WC, I'm convinced he will no matter what happens, who would be the candidates to take over? Most obvious I guess is Eddie Howe, but I can't see him wanting to leave Toon, as they look on the brink of great things (yes I know 'sportswashing' etc but not on here to debate that) plus I would imagine if England did come calling Toon would hand him a massive pay rise to stave off the FA. Then we have........Potter. Again would he want to leave (unless he's pushed before) Chelsea. Given the last few results Chelsea have had would that give the FA some misgivings about hiring him? Anyone else? As always a dearth of English candidates.
Ex-player with top level experience (not necessarily successful) of management seems likely. They're not going to poach a PL manager mid-season, so it will have to be someone unemployed (or in lower divisions) unless they go with some interim solution for a while.

IMO, Steven Gerrard is the most likely candidate. From England, lots of caps, led Rangers to a title, managed in the PL, unemployed and unlikely to get a top job anywhere else.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he gets a PL job he’ll be in a relegation battle regardless of the club mug enough to appoint him. Clueless gimp with plan A only - don’t lose. Remind you of anyone? The gimp comment doesn’t apply to the manager I am thinking of.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If Vieira got a good offer, would seem made for the Palace job. Added bonus he’d then take them down.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Ex-player with top level experience (not necessarily successful) of management seems likely. They're not going to poach a PL manager mid-season, so it will have to be someone unemployed (or in lower divisions) unless they go with some interim solution for a while.

IMO, Steven Gerrard is the most likely candidate. From England, lots of caps, led Rangers to a title, managed in the PL, unemployed and unlikely to get a top job anywhere else.
Yeah but surely after his disaster that was his time at Villa his reputation is badly damaged? Who from the lower divisions you have in mind?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Sigh, yet again this topic brings out the worst in NSC.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah but surely after his disaster that was his time at Villa his reputation is badly damaged? Who from the lower divisions you have in mind?
His reputation is damaged and it wouldn't be a popular appointment but there's few or no realistic options. Dyche is too foulmouthed.

From the lower leagues maybe Dean Smith.

Another option is of course a foreigner, which is the most likely outcome if Gerrard doesn't get the job. Thomas Tuchel could be a candidate.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sigh, yet again this topic brings out the worst in NSC.
Perfect bounce opportunity for you when we muller our way to the final.

But also for me when we don’t even qualify for the latter stages.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We should be beating teams like Germany, Italy, Brazil and Germany. Fact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Woking branch ?
Did you say 'woke' again? ???

It has become an obsession. This. Is. A DISGRACE.

For the record, I don't even know what woke means. Innit. :wink:

As for this thread......semi or even quarter finals should keep Southgate safe. There is no obvious candidate waiting in the wings. Neither Potter nor SmEddie are old enough and under paid enough to consider the job. Dean Smith, Steven Gerrard and Lamps are all evidently Not Very Good.

Dyche would be my favourite. The thought of him ripping the piss out of the likes of sock boy, the best a man can get, and express my style actually gives me a little twitch in the trouser department :ROFLMAO:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can we start with Iran, Wales and USA before suggesting previous World Cup winners as the yard stick?
I'm surprised you didn't tell me off for my thinking we have to beat Germany twice.

One of us has been whooshed here, and my kindly disposition makes me hope that it's me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
English manager leading the country to a semi-final in 2018 and final in 2020... he'll absolutely get a job in the PL, just like Hodgson, Sven, Keegan, Hoddle, Taylor etc. got PL jobs despite far worse results with the national team.

Not sure he'll be a great appointment by any means but he'll absolutely manage a PL team in the not too distant future.
Coleman took wales to a
Euros semifinals and couldn’t get a PL club, I imagine due to his record in club football.

I’ll be shocked if a PL club went for him

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm surprised you didn't tell me off for my thinking we have to beat Germany twice.

One of us has been whooshed here, and my kindly disposition makes me hope that it's me.
Of course it‘s you that has been whooshed, how many times have we beaten Germany once in a tournament since 1966 let alone twice?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have just now genuinely thought about his options. As a pro footballer in fairly recent times and bagging the job of England manager, he has NOTHING to worry about. His wage as a player was good, he's probably more than paid for his house. He's had a marvellous salary from the FA ( plus probable generous further pension top ups) and will trouser a considerable sum when sacked, all this on top of his PFA pension.

Don't feel sorry for Gareth when his inevitable sacking comes, no food banks for him.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Please try to keep tactics and team selection out of it but more of a what could happen with GS after The World Cup. Will The FA say a Wcup semi-final along with Euro 21 and qualification for Qatar so carry on as usual? Will Southgate hold his hands up and it's time for myself and England to go our separate ways? Management in The EPL can't see it myself along with who could The FA entice to pick up the poison chalice?
I think that Gareth Southgate would be a prime candidate for modelling waistcoats for the Edinburgh Woollen Mill chain :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course it is, how many times have we beaten Germany in a tournament since 1966
I think I may have entered the Twiglet zone :laugh:

serling.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here