Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What makes a fan 'plastic'

NCBHA

Jan 31, 2011
The term plastic fan is used in pretty much every thread and I am curious to know if there is a set criteria to becoming a true fan? Do plastic fans have to go through a Masonic initiation ceremony to prove their credentials?

Understanding this will enable me and others to help the so called plastics on their way to a higher level/status.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
people don't use it right. it used to mean armchair premier league fan who had never seen their team's ground type more or less exclusively. the stigma used to be absolved once said person got a ticket or an ST or what have you and went along to proper football in the real world.

making palace's tired use of it as a stick to try and beat our increased support with... well a load of f***ing bollocks as i believe we knew anyway. but now you see it is also impossible contradictory bollocks at that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
minicoolingfan_88010.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Plastics, the lot of them....

reee.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It IS an odd term, I suppose initially it was coined for those people who came from places like Surrey or Thailand and supported Man U as opposed to their local team. They didn't go to the games and that made them 'plastic' fans as opposed to 'real' fans who went. Also their choice of team is governed simply by whether they're good or not, after all I doubt there are many plastic Stockport or Bury fans. Recently though I've noticed a bit of hardening of attitudes and even people who go to games are deemed by some to be plastic simply because they're not following their local side.

This season I've noticed though a new breed of plastic. These are people who say they support Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc - but not only do they not go to the games they don't even bother watching them on TV. I suppose we'll have to call them 'artificial' plastics to differentiate them from 'real' plastics. My son has got friends like this, they're not really that interested in football but they all want to go to the Amex. One of them calls himself an Arsenal fan, but says he only likes them because they've got the word 'Arse' in their name!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well, one way to look at it is to see that we're all gloryhunters. Why wouldn't we want our team to have glory?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It IS an odd term, I suppose initially it was coined for those people who came from places like Surrey or Thailand and supported Man U as opposed to their local team. They didn't go to the games and that made them 'plastic' fans as opposed to 'real' fans who went. Also their choice of team is governed simply by whether they're good or not, after all I doubt there are many plastic Stockport or Bury fans. Recently though I've noticed a bit of hardening of attitudes and even people who go to games are deemed by some to be plastic simply because they're not following their local side.

This season I've noticed though a new breed of plastic. These are people who say they support Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc - but not only do they not go to the games they don't even bother watching them on TV. I suppose we'll have to call them 'artificial' plastics to differentiate them from 'real' plastics. My son has got friends like this, they're not really that interested in football but they all want to go to the Amex. One of them calls himself an Arsenal fan, but says he only likes them because they've got the word 'Arse' in their name!

Ahh, the 'soft' plastics.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Have we had away fans singing 'Where were you when you were sh*t?' yet? Can only be a matter of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here