Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What is your favourite aircraft

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Its never received as much love as the Spitfire, but Ive always liked the Hurricane....amazing fighter.

Hawker-Hurricane-MkIIc.jpg

Having married into a military family, I love the Chinook as well now. My brother in law was a Squadron Leader down at RAF Odiham, and then Benson, until fairly recently - and flew the Chugga Chugga into Iraq, Afghanistan and Bosnia etc over the years. Amazing what they can do. Quite a sight (& sound) watching his whole squadron fly back into base 16 years ago from the Middle East, when he first met his 3 month old nephew...."emotional" doesn't even begin to describe that day!

NogansRun

Aug 8, 2016
mine was always the Blackbird from Top Trumps days, it was the best card in the pack

335692main_EC94-42883-2_full.jpg

I have seen two now, one on USS Intrepid in New York and the other in the Museum of Flight in Seattle

Another vote for this - saw it take off and perform a display at Farnborough in 1980s, the noise and vibration felt like an earthquake to me as a kid. Awesome machine.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Its never received as much love as the Spitfire, but Ive always liked the Hurricane....amazing fighter.

View attachment 117759

Having married into a military family, I love the Chinook as well now. My brother in law was a Squadron Leader down at RAF Odiham, and then Benson, until fairly recently - and flew the Chugga Chugga into Iraq, Afghanistan and Bosnia etc over the years. Amazing what they can do. Quite a sight (& sound) watching his whole squadron fly back into base 16 years ago from the Middle East, when he first met his 3 month old nephew...."emotional" doesn't even begin to describe that day!

I was based at Odiham for a few years and have to say, watching the pilots doing "stunts" for want of a better word, is quite an incredible sight, to put something that aero-dynamic (not) into a near nose dive and pull back out with not much time to spare, to my eye anyway, is quite a site. I suspect it is more a neccesity than a stunt tbh.

However having flown in a chinook, i can best describe it as uncomfortable and VERY noisy, even with a helmet and ear defenders. Glad to have experienced it, but wouldn't be in any rush to do so again tbh.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Indeed I did, because I thought "in 3 months time I will need to prove to an anonymous stranger on the internet that I was listening to a tannoy system at an airshow".

But later that night I started questioning my life choices, and ended up deleting it. Sorry.

You must be kicking yourself now.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I was based at Odiham for a few years and have to say, watching the pilots doing "stunts" for want of a better word, is quite an incredible sight, to put something that aero-dynamic (not) into a near nose dive and pull back out with not much time to spare, to my eye anyway, is quite a site. I suspect it is more a neccesity than a stunt tbh.

However having flown in a chinook, i can best describe it as uncomfortable and VERY noisy, even with a helmet and ear defenders. Glad to have experienced it, but wouldn't be in any rush to do so again tbh.

Very talented pilots! My bro in law (Foo...you might know him?) once managed to outmaneuver, & "shoot down" a Euro fighter on a training exercise...which he brings up with the fixed wing boys all the time still! :lolol:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
de havilland Mosquito, made of wood and faster than anything else.

My grandfather, who was a master carpenter, repaired these during the war so have always had a soft spot for them.

Honourable mentions to:

Vulcan - took my breath away when I saw it at Boscombe Down air show

Concorde - who wouldn’t?

747-400 - incredible machine

Rockwell B1-b:

e4faafdc5bc3e705365f980d0a3ac79c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swordfish from WW2 although it look more WW1. My dad used to travel in them during the war although his main role was to sort out their armaments.
And it was the only British combat aircraft to see frontline service from the start till the finish the war in it's original mk.1 form.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Harrier for me. Many happy childhood memories of standing on Shoreham airfield in absolute awe of the power and the smell of Kerosene. As a child that was truly amazing when it bows in front of you then turns and puts the power down. Awesome.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Tough to pick one out of the obvious greats (Concorde, Lancaster, Hurricane, Spitfire, B-2, SR-71, P-51). But I think I'd like to opt for a few specific Hawks...

TELEMMGLPICT000142366783_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqniLs_ck1w-iIu15kYzVq2artcu5mb6i7I-m0HMDIL-E.jpeg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Another reason for my love of Hurricanes is because of my grandfather who served in the RNVR / RN during WW2, & who was serving on board the first CAM ship (HMS Maplin) to score an enemy kill, taking down a Focke Wulf fw200 Condor. The "Hurricat" would be rocket propelled off the ship and, once finished with the mission, ditch in the sea. Those pilots were something special!

CAM-ship-with-Hurricat-on-launcher-595x410.jpg
Hawker-Sea-Hurricane-being-catapulted-1024x794.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here