Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the point? (Warning: Probably being dramatic)

D

Deleted member 2719

Which is why so many losers from shitty towns nowhere near London, Liverpool or Manchester sit in crap pubs drinking crap lager, wearing crap replica shirts and watching crap TV coverage, so that they can "bantz" their "mates" on Facebook when they win the League Cup or something.

I've really started to have enough of the Premier League (unless Potter turns them down or we get in someone absolutely MINT of course).

I understand this, but I thought you were one of the drivers of the "potter out" campaign on here?

Potter is fantastic for the club all around, I feel it's of massive value to keep him at this point unless Tony has a new Potter in his back pocket, which he probably has, but the new Potter might not be quite ready for the Premier yet.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s the way PL football works, we might be in denial but we all know it.

Being hit with a bolt from the blue (no fecking pun intended) makes it so much worse for me

Ecstasy to (probable) agony in a few short days is what is so disappointing.

We knew it would happen we just expected more warning, well I did anyway.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I understand this, but I thought you were one of the drivers of the "potter out" campaign on here?

Potter is fantastic for the club all around, I feel it's of massive value to keep him at this point unless Tony has a new Potter in his back pocket, which he probably has, but the new Potter might not be quite ready for the Premier yet.

You thought wrongly.

I thought you wanted your posts deleting? Why are you making more work for us?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Being hit with a bolt from the blue (no fecking pun intended) makes it so much worse for me

And this is why, rather than being a "leader of the Potter out campaign" I've been saying that no one person is bigger than the club and over investment in the Cult of Potter isn't a healthy thing,

Tony will find another great coach and we'll be fine. There are plenty out there.

My worries are short term. This is wrecking our Bournemouth preparation. We do then have 3 weeks for the new chap to bed in - unless it's Bruno in which case we have 3 weeks to get him good back room support.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Since when did supporting Brighton become dependent on getting to the top ?
Ever since I was little. While watching Ritchie Barker score at Gillingham, or when I first watched a game at the withdean, the dream was to make it to the top. Isn't that the entire point of sport, to try to be the best? To win? I always hoped that my little team would make it to the premier league and one day maybe win it. But its impossible. I loved my trips to the withdean as it felt like a home to me. But I always hoped for better. Now that we have better, it seems so pointless.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

You thought wrongly.

I thought you wanted your posts deleting? Why are you making more work for us?

I am not sad enough to look it up, but I am 99% sure you did.

Same old GB professionalism isn't really your strong point, is it?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We rolled over and got tickled in the transfer window and now we're being rolled over and buggered. Should have stood up to them but didn't. Saints 2.0

Yes just like Saints a decade ago, that's the greed machine of the modern game

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We rolled over and got tickled in the transfer window and now we're being rolled over and buggered. Should have stood up to them but didn't. Saints 2.0

Trouble is, the lure of The Big Six and the big payday will always be there, and you can't really retain people who no longer want to be here

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I seem to be going through the ‘anger’ phase this morning. For all the good that Potter has done, if he goes then the timing stinks.

The Leicester performance felt like the beginning, not ‘job done’, certainly from the home crowd’s perspective. Forget the repeated exaggeration of a few ‘fans’ booing after the Leeds game, the fact is pretty much everyone has been extremely patient and understanding during this building process. People appreciated it was a long term project, appreciated Potter’s talents rely on time and trusted him to see it through. Sure, we were rewarded with a couple of magnificent Amex matches at the end of last season but nobody locally was getting on his back during all those draws or even the losing run. There were other great away days along the way but a lot of that early development was done during lockdown - when empty stadia surely helped keep the pressure off.

Anticipation of this season was higher than I can ever remember. The year the plan might finally click and the rewards would come, and that’s how it’s been looking.
And what? Six games in with a chance to go top of the league, his head could be turned by Chelsea. A club who seem to be claiming he’s part of a long term plan. So they wanted him when he’d lost 6 in a row did they? Or even a couple of weeks ago when they were spending hundreds of millions on random signings and bringing in Tuchel’s mate Aubameyang? Bullshit.

If he was going to go, last summer would have been fine. Thanks and goodbye, shame he couldn’t see it through. Next summer would be fine, having achieved this club’s potential. He’d leave as a legend. Right now? It would be a decision that shows the only priority is Potter’s career and has never been the project here. I don’t think anyone will want him to succeed, and that’s sad. But it’d be sadder for the fans, the players - including the likes of Billy Gilmour who chucked Chelsea to play for us even though they wanted it only to be a loan - and an owner who has been unflinchingly supportive and provided that Premier League chance.

Well said.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Agreed. I think it's made even more annoying because everyone knows Chelsea is the worst possible fit among the rich clubs for the skill set we've seen so far. If there was a vacancy, Arsenal - perfect sense. Spurs - you could see it. United even.

Of course, we're supposed to suck it up in these situations and the usual excuse is normally difficult to argue against. Managers walk because 'there's no loyalty in football' and rightly point out the club would have no hesitation in sacking them if they have a bad run.

That's not the case here. He's had that loyalty already from Bloom. There's still time to do the decent thing and repay that by seeing through the season.

D

Deleted member 2719

when are you off then, mouldy?

As if you didn't know undercover Mod boy.

It's the undercover establishment and driven abuse, which has just made this board so unattractive.

Now, you and the gang will strive to float Mouldy to the top of publicity on here to suit your sad lives so you can abuse me directly again, that's how narcissists work don't they, mod boy?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
That’s the thing, at least in the lower leagues there’s teams going up and down and variables, in the Prem it’s basically this cycle for anyone who isn’t a top 5/6 club

Finally get a decent long term manager
Team gets picked of its best talent as the manager progresses the team
Manager becomes a target (and almost always takes his entire coaching staff)

I just think the whole thing really stinks, it’s hard to imagine how a club ever breaks the monotony of the money rich clubs, when they have the power to just pick apart clubs who could become a threat to them.

Southampton have been in this position for years. Getting to a decent level then losing countless players to the vultures in at the 'big' clubs.

Yes, its horrible, but also survival of the richest.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
As if you didn't know undercover Mod boy.

It's the undercover establishment and driven abuse, which has just made this board so unattractive.

Now, you and the gang will strive to float Mouldy to the top of publicity on here to suit your sad lives so you can abuse me directly again, that's how narcissists work don't they, mod boy?
To be fair, you have brought this on your self.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I seem to be going through the ‘anger’ phase this morning. For all the good that Potter has done, if he goes then the timing stinks.

The Leicester performance felt like the beginning, not ‘job done’, certainly from the home crowd’s perspective. Forget the repeated exaggeration of a few ‘fans’ booing after the Leeds game, the fact is pretty much everyone has been extremely patient and understanding during this building process. People appreciated it was a long term project, appreciated Potter’s talents rely on time and trusted him to see it through. Sure, we were rewarded with a couple of magnificent Amex matches at the end of last season but nobody locally was getting on his back during all those draws or even the losing run. There were other great away days along the way but a lot of that early development was done during lockdown - when empty stadia surely helped keep the pressure off.

Anticipation of this season was higher than I can ever remember. The year the plan might finally click and the rewards would come, and that’s how it’s been looking.
And what? Six games in with a chance to go top of the league, his head could be turned by Chelsea. A club who seem to be claiming he’s part of a long term plan. So they wanted him when he’d lost 6 in a row did they? Or even a couple of weeks ago when they were spending hundreds of millions on random signings and bringing in Tuchel’s mate Aubameyang? Bullshit.

If he was going to go, last summer would have been fine. Thanks and goodbye, shame he couldn’t see it through. Next summer would be fine, having achieved this club’s potential. He’d leave as a legend. Right now? It would be a decision that shows the only priority is Potter’s career and has never been the project here. I don’t think anyone will want him to succeed, and that’s sad. But it’d be sadder for the fans, the players - including the likes of Billy Gilmour who chucked Chelsea to play for us even though they wanted it only to be a loan - and an owner who has been unflinchingly supportive and provided that Premier League chance.

This is 100% how I feel, well summed up.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Bless them. They would never be able to fathom why he chose Chelsea over them.
Best of all though would be if Potter decided to stay put and at his media meeting quoted what he did a few days ago about football, money and transactions.

Agreed. I think it's made even more annoying because everyone knows Chelsea is the worst possible fit among the rich clubs for the skill set we've seen so far. If there was a vacancy, Arsenal - perfect sense. Spurs - you could see it. United even.

Of course, we're supposed to suck it up in these situations and the usual excuse is normally difficult to argue against. Managers walk because 'there's no loyalty in football' and rightly point out the club would have no hesitation in sacking them if they have a bad run.

That's not the case here. He's had that loyalty already from Bloom. There's still time to do the decent thing and repay that by seeing through the season.
Maybe, just maybe, Potter is negotiating with Chelsea to finish this season at Brighton and move to Chelsea in the Summer? Would still unsettle the team though, I reckon.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Wonderfully articulated trueblue. I've been trying to collect my thoughts in such a measured way this morning and you have done it perfectly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here