Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the point? (Warning: Probably being dramatic)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
So we’ve lost 2 of our best players to bigger sides this summer and one of them last summer, I’ve kind of accepted that’s part of the progression.

When you actually think about it, without a ridiculous money injection how can a club ever break into the so called ‘big clubs’? As soon as anyone lower down the league appears to be making a good run at anything all the vultures come in and take what has taken us to where we are?

Like I said in the thread title, probably a bit dramatic but sometimes you look at football and just think how broken it is, how can a club ever break into the ‘big club’ bollocks?

Over dramatic or is it all a bit disheartening?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We've raped and pillaged our way up the leagues ourselves, taking players and managers from clubs left, right and centre, no one likes it up 'em unfortunately. No winners in this game unless you support the very top teams.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We've raped and pillaged our way up the leagues ourselves, taking players and managers from clubs left, right and centre, no one likes it up 'em unfortunately. No winners in this game unless you support the very top teams.

Which is why so many losers from shitty towns nowhere near London, Liverpool or Manchester sit in crap pubs drinking crap lager, wearing crap replica shirts and watching crap TV coverage, so that they can "bantz" their "mates" on Facebook when they win the League Cup or something.

I've really started to have enough of the Premier League (unless Potter turns them down or we get in someone absolutely MINT of course).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We have been here long enough to realise that the gap between the haves and the have nots is very large. However little old Brighton has closed that gap CONSIDERABLY, and what a great story.

I love under dogs and I'm very happy that we will continue as we are, with or without Potter. Bloom has plenty of tricks up his sleeves yet.

Be not disheartened.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That’s the thing, at least in the lower leagues there’s teams going up and down and variables, in the Prem it’s basically this cycle for anyone who isn’t a top 5/6 club

Finally get a decent long term manager
Team gets picked of its best talent as the manager progresses the team
Manager becomes a target (and almost always takes his entire coaching staff)

I just think the whole thing really stinks, it’s hard to imagine how a club ever breaks the monotony of the money rich clubs, when they have the power to just pick apart clubs who could become a threat to them.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Which is why so many losers from shitty towns nowhere near London, Liverpool or Manchester sit in crap pubs drinking crap lager, wearing crap replica shirts and watching crap TV coverage, so that they can "bantz" their "mates" on Facebook when they win the League Cup or something.

I've really started to have enough of the Premier League (unless Potter turns them down or we get in someone absolutely MINT of course).

You get out what you put in the way I see it. The elation that you or I would get from a good Albion result isn't replicated in anywhere near the same way.

I despise the big 6 for their arrogance, but I don't envy them.

Just think how amazing it would be if he goes there and when they come to the amex we beat them

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
What I find most disappointing is I really wanted to see how we could do this season, where we would finish. I feel by potter going this has been taken away from us. We may never find yourself with such a good squad/ manager position again.

Just feels like we have been cheated, we already given our best two players away and now we may lose our manager

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That's the football food chain for you.

If Potter goes we'll probably go an plunder a club below us in said food chain for their manager and we won't give a **** about it.

Don't really recall anyone feeling sorry for Swansea fans when acquired Mr Potter originally.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Not dramatic at all. Football as a competition is boring, as are so many other sports. All spoiled by greed which is driven by a capitalist society.

I'd be all up for transfer limits, wage caps, draft picking. Anything to bring some hope to the smaller clubs. A bit more of an equilibrium might allow clubs to keep their exciting young players and managers. Success would be achieved by those that deserve it, choosing the right people and planning. Not just buying it after you f*cked the last attempt.

Doom.And.Gloom.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Totally agree with the OP. What is the flipping point? We have dragged ourselves up from the bottom over the last 25 years and finally got ourselves into a place where we could actually dream of reaching previously unheard of heights only to get asset stripped by a bunch of clueless goons whose only appealing feature is a huge bag of cash that can paper over the cracks of their own inadequacies.

I still hope again hope that Potter will not be impressed by what Chelsea have to offer but if he does go I'll feel sick. This will set us back and potentially ruin our season. I may calm down as this situation unfolds, but right now in this moment I am feeling over flipping dramatic.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You get out what you put in the way I see it. The elation that you or I would get from a good Albion result isn't replicated in anywhere near the same way.

I despise the big 6 for their arrogance, but I don't envy them.

Just think how amazing it would be if he goes there and when they come to the amex we beat them
It wouldn't feel that "amazing" at all - certainly not for more than 48 hours, especially if we're back in mid table or worse.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
It's no different to any other enterprise though. If in theory a top CEO turns around a struggling company, she will immediately be on the list of similar companies that want a turn around don.e She'll almost certainly bring in trusted lieutenants from previous companies.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its part of football. top teams lose some of their top players from time to time. its not like we've been raided for half the squad, and crucially there has been succession plan for those leaving.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We have been here long enough to realise that the gap between the haves and the have nots is very large. However little old Brighton has closed that gap CONSIDERABLY, and what a great story.

I love under dogs and I'm very happy that we will continue as we are, with or without Potter. Bloom has plenty of tricks up his sleeves yet.

Be not disheartened.
Sorry. I am disheartened right now. Just as I felt we were really getting somewhere, with a real chance (which we weren't going to miss this time) of briefly going top of the PL at the weekend. Just listened to the Albion Unlimited podcast too, so full of hope and positivity. Top ten place achieved, yes, but do it again please, with a foray into a minor European competition - then wave goodbye to GP - preferably to Liverpool or City, anywhere but bloody Chelsea!

Maybe we'll get some good news in the next few hours - but I doubt it

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You can't help but feel it is unfair and yes, what is the point of trying to do the right things when a monied club can come ad break it all up at a moments notice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here