Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the point? (Warning: Probably being dramatic)

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Chins up, folks. Just a little pause on the 25 year upward trajectory that began with getting rid of the twats, moving back to Brighton, finding a stadium. Not many years later, Gus was crooning about how brilliant we were. Bloom built Falmer for 30k but fitted it out for 18,000 to start with. Then came ceilings and play-off humiliation. But it just keeps getting better.

If he leaves, we’ll be fine. Pull yourselves together!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Which is why so many losers from shitty towns nowhere near London, Liverpool or Manchester sit in crap pubs drinking crap lager, wearing crap replica shirts and watching crap TV coverage, so that they can "bantz" their "mates" on Facebook when they win the League Cup or something.

I've really started to have enough of the Premier League (unless Potter turns them down or we get in someone absolutely MINT of course).

Get Hughton back in, decent guy, can almost guarantee to end your PL anghst!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That's the football food chain for you.

If Potter goes we'll probably go an plunder a club below us in said food chain for their manager and we won't give a **** about it.

Don't really recall anyone feeling sorry for Swansea fans when acquired Mr Potter originally.
I did.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well, yes.

As soon as heard that the league table basically just reflects budget a little of the football me died.

But....

Tony could buy the title if he had the inclination. Absolutely limited fun in that. The challenge is to do well with a modest budget. A far harder but far more rewarding game.

So that is the game we play.

Players may go, Potter may go, but we keep playing the same game.

The prize is potentially huge - far better than just throwing cash at it.

And the choice of any successor for Potter ( when the time comes ) is huge. I just ask that we don't mess it up, like with Hyppia.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The feeliing of elation after Sunday's win has certainly been killed dead today.

After the Leicester game, we all felt that one of the teams would part with their manager this week.

Oh the irony

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have been here long enough to realise that the gap between the haves and the have nots is very large. However little old Brighton has closed that gap CONSIDERABLY, and what a great story.
Have we? We only finished 9th last season - hardly record breaking for one of the lower budget teams.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At the end of the 2013/14 season Southampton finished 8th. Then Pochettino joined Spurs and they sold Rickie Lambert, Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Calum Chambers, Billy Sharp and Jack Cork. Things must have looked pretty bleak.

However, they brought in Ronald Koeman as manager, Mane, Tadic, Pelle, Forster, Bertrand and Alderweireld and ended up finishing 7th the following season.

I think displacing any of the Top 6 positions is unlikely for all of the remaining 14 Prem sides, including Newcastle. The key is good recruitment as Prem riches mean we can match all bar about 10-12 sides in Europe for transfer fees and wages.

A well-run side in the top half will always claim a few notable scalps, a Wembley final or two and maybe a cup along the way.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It would be hugely disappointing but we have the infrastructure to appoint someone else who can take us forward. Plus we get another £15m in the bank.
We are on an upward trajectory and the risk of that is that you lose certain members of that team including management.
Thankfully we’ve had a decent start to the season and so an incoming manager won’t be immediately under pressure.
A good management replacement and we are onwards and upwards again.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The feeliing of elation after Sunday's win has certainly been killed dead today.

After the Leicester game, we all felt that one of the teams would part with their manager this week.

Oh the irony

The Irony is if we had just got tonked 5-2 by Leicester on Saturday, I doubt Potter would be in London right now.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
We have been here long enough to realise that the gap between the haves and the have nots is very large. However little old Brighton has closed that gap CONSIDERABLY, and what a great story.

I love under dogs and I'm very happy that we will continue as we are, with or without Potter. Bloom has plenty of tricks up his sleeves yet.

Be not disheartened.

That's where I'm at.

Leicester won the league against the odds, reached the UCL Quarter-Finals and then won the Cup.

The likes of Southampton, Burnley and West Ham have all qualified for Europe in the last decade.

For any Albion fan who knows their history or, like most of us on here, went through it, the club's the main thing.

We've got a great set-up, and Tony's invested heavily in the infrastructure and academy to secure the future.

Players and managers come and go, but the fans will always be there.

Up the Albion. :ascarf:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
At the end of the 2013/14 season Southampton finished 8th. Then Pochettino joined Spurs and they sold Rickie Lambert, Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Calum Chambers, Billy Sharp and Jack Cork. Things must have looked pretty bleak.

However, they brought in Ronald Koeman as manager, Mane, Tadic, Pelle, Forster, Bertrand and Alderweireld and ended up finishing 7th the following season.

I think displacing any of the Top 6 positions is unlikely for all of the remaining 14 Prem sides, including Newcastle. The key is good recruitment as Prem riches mean we can match all bar about 10-12 sides in Europe for transfer fees and wages.

A well-run side in the top half will always claim a few notable scalps, a Wembley final or two and maybe a cup along the way.

The Southampton story is a very good one in terms of how teams can get over a managerial change. Key thing is getting the right man/woman in.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
All very fair points re: it’s what football is, and it’s what business is.

However, the difference here is it’s an endless cycle the only team to break the top 4 monotony in the last 30 years nearly is Man City and why was that? Money.

So realistically, unless we become mega rich, how will this monotony of the premier league merry go round ever end? Don’t get me wrong I’ve always been aware of this but with the recent player losses and this further raid, it’s just highlighted to me really that football at this level is really a shambles, it’s hard to see where football breaks this monotony?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

I love under dogs and I'm very happy that we will continue as we are, with or without Potter. Bloom has plenty of tricks up his sleeves yet.

Be not disheartened.

this. will be a transition period this season, but TB's ambitions were never going to be achieved in a linear fashion. there are going to be setbacks, like this. and it will be a good measure of how talented our squad actually is, and how much is down to GP.

obviously the vultures were going to come at some point, but surely TB will have made a contingency plan if they came at a time that doesn't suit us, like now?

what is pointless is becoming disillusioned with the vision we've worked so hard to achieve at the first sight of us losing one of our (many) core components, though I accept that might be a difficult ask right now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well, yes.

As soon as heard that the league table basically just reflects budget a little of the football me died.

But....

Tony could buy the title if he had the inclination. Absolutely limited fun in that. The challenge is to do well with a modest budget. A far harder but far more rewarding game.

So that is the game we play.

Players may go, Potter may go, but we keep playing the same game.

The prize is potentially huge - far better than just throwing cash at it.

And the choice of any successor for Potter ( when the time comes ) is huge. I just ask that we don't mess it up, like with Hyppia.

Never fear, Potter said this just a couple of weeks ago.

“It can’t just be about how much money you spend. That would be quite depressing, and eventually people would fall out of love with football if that was the case.
“You always have to provide something beyond that for it to be of any interest or any importance. If it’s just a transaction, if it’s just about money, and everyone’s league table is determined by that, then clearly we’re not understanding football.”

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If we feel down now, imagine how Villa fans feel.

They were convinced that Potter was going to them when Stevie G is sacked.

Thoughts and prayers.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry. I am disheartened right now. Just as I felt we were really getting somewhere, with a real chance (which we weren't going to miss this time) of briefly going top of the PL at the weekend. Just listened to the Albion Unlimited podcast too, so full of hope and positivity. Top ten place achieved, yes, but do it again please, with a foray into a minor European competition - then wave goodbye to GP - preferably to Liverpool or City, anywhere but bloody Chelsea!

Maybe we'll get some good news in the next few hours - but I doubt it

With you all the way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here