Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has Colunga done to CH?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So with this way of thinking, do you agree with a players approach when they refuse to play because another team is interested in signing them?

Shock horror young player has head turned by offer of tens of thousands every week. Dunk was ready to come on v Fulham in any case.

Clunge is an older head. But need to get rid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The 'problems with homesickness' were refuted in pre-season. We have a lot of players. They can't all play.

If I were Spanish and looking out the window this morning, I'd be home :sick:

Colunga only made 11 starts last season, plus 6 sub appearances.
One of those was Bournemouth away where he received the second highest player rating.

Taking into account the car crash nature of last season, the rejuvenation of other players, and the formation change he can't be out of the team purely for footballing reasons.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Yep, I think Colunga may be homesick. But I don't think that this proves that Spaniards in general get homesick.

And no, My dear old Gran wasn't German. But I have found German people to be welcoming, friendly and generally chilled. In a nutshell, they are very easy to get on with.

It's not just from one person, I got to know them very well and your typical Spaniard, working class guy doesn't travel well.They might move because of economic problems over there, the need to earn more money, the need to improve their English. Colunga to me looks to me like someone who has tried it over here and just wants to go back home now

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
To be honest that applies to a lot of people, wherever they're from. It's not easy to go and live in a foreign country

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield

One of those was Bournemouth away where he received the second highest player rating.

Taking into account the car crash nature of last season, the rejuvenation of other players, and the formation change he can't be out of the team purely for footballing reasons.

Well exactly, this is what I'm saying. It's all speculation obviously but I imagine if we could be in on the conversation that he has expressed a desire not to be here and that's the reason he's not featuring in any plans. It's not down to him lacking ability that's for sure

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'd much rather see Colunga on the pitch instead of COG.

But we need to get rid of both and bring in a player like Vydra if we want to be top 6.

I'd much rather see Colunga on the pitch than March most of the time. Solly has potential but his decision making can be dreadful at times.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
To be honest that applies to a lot of people, wherever they're from. It's not easy to go and live in a foreign country

And then be sent back home on loan, then back to England when an expected permanent move to Spain doesn't happen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Agreed, his ball to Bruno to head us into the lead at Norwich was arguably the cross of the season. Cannot believe he is being left out for football reasons as we have players who offer much less still getting games.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The sooner we get rid of COG and Colunga the better, I would literally give them away for £250k a go just to get off the wage bill.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Inigo Caleron, Leo Ulloa (twice), Spanish Dave, Andrea Orlandi, to name but a few. But then all foreigners are the same, aren't they?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Inigo Caleron, Leo Ulloa (twice), Spanish Dave, Andrea Orlandi, to name but a few. But then all foreigners are the same, aren't they?

As are all people from Uckfield.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield

I'm talking about us as well, people in general. It's not easy to go and live in a foreign country. Some of them will not be able to deal with it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The sooner we get rid of COG and Colunga the better, I would literally give them away for £250k a go just to get off the wage bill.

COG has had plenty of game time and not looked like he has a clue where the goal is in over a year. Colunga has had very little game time but it clear that he has ability and in some of the cameos has looked one of our better players. It's all a bit odd imo.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The 'problems with homesickness' were refuted in pre-season. We have a lot of players. They can't all play.

True. Home sickness seems to be something mentioned a lot in this thread, I'm not so sure that is true.

Far more likely a reason for him not being picked, is simply that he is not a 'Hughton' type player. Far too lightweight and skillful for the manager's liking, unable to hold on to the ball, and unable to defend Being an ex defender himself, Hughton likes 'defensive' players.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It's not really relevant now is it. Centuries later. I'm talking about the people that currently live there. Lethargic of name, lethargic of nature

But surely if you can generalise so can I? I also know and work with many Spanish in the UK, France and the USA and have also worked in Spain but like most there is a mix some want to go home some love it abroad and want to stay. You generalised that the Spanish as a nation are home-bodes and don't travel well this is simple no more true for the Spanish than any other nation.

Yes there are is more to the Colunga situation than we know but I do not see how you can base the reason on an inaccurate generalisation.

How's that for a Lethargic response?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed, his ball to Bruno to head us into the lead at Norwich was arguably the cross of the season. Cannot believe he is being left out for football reasons as we have players who offer much less still getting games.
From a small sample size Colunga was the second highest player rating in that game too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here