Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sick Heart River, by John Buchan.

All about a man with terminal TB who takes himself off to the Northern wastes of Canada to die. Heavy going...................................

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Crisis of conscience- Raymond franz

Former governing body member of the jehovahs witnesses
Totally blows this cult out of the water

Ooh that sounds good, my mum's sister is a JW who lives in Oz and she (my mum) laps up any anti JW stuff. Where did you get it, the listings for it on scAmazon go from £99-£255!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm currently struggling through A Brief History of Seven Killings. It's incredibly hard to get into as a difference characters narrates each chapter which interrupts rhythm. I shall persist though.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm currently struggling through A Brief History of Seven Killings. It's incredibly hard to get into as a difference characters narrates each chapter which interrupts rhythm. I shall persist though.

I've had this for a while, but I keep putting off starting it. Let me know if it's worthwhile! I'm halfway through the much easier The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. Should be finished in a couple of days. Was considering revisiting The Return Of The Native by Hardy afterwards.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
the "dog in the chapel" series, anyone else read (or even heard of) these?, i'm usually the fantasy type stuff (Donaldson, Feist, Tolkein) so this type of book (Adam, and Blue Sky Adam were my introduction, by same author as well as OUT by different one) are a complete departure for me. Kinda surprised that I have got so into them, fairly easy read, and I can identify with the characters and situations, brought back some painful memories as well as some laughs

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Dead Father's Club, another absolute gem from Brighton's own godlike genius Matt Haig. Laugh out loud funny.

For some reason I ordered Bruce Spunksteen's 1000 page autobiog from my local library. I have no interest in his music, but it's supposed to be a decent read.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just One Look - Harlen Coben

I can hardly wait to get on the coach to Blackburn to have six hours uninterupted with it

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Just found Rebus. Read the first Ian Rankin tale... Knots and Crosses and now on the second Hide and Seek. What a wonderfully intuitive wordsmith he is and what a rounded character that Inspector Rebus is becoming. Great stuff... what took me so long!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just started Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher NIGHT SCHOOL
Love the whole series
This one doesn't follow the usual format. And its excellent

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Alan Bennett's 'Keeping on, Keeping on'. Always good value is our AB.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The Princess Diarist...............Carrie Fisher

sorry just had to .............and it won't take long

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Currently reading this, very interesting read so far.

Google Books:

'Lives don't get much more quixotic or passionately driven than that of the Nicaraguan revolutionary Gioconda Belli. She may have been educated by nuns and dazzled all as a well-heeled society girl, but Gioconda lifted her 'guilt of privilege' by joining the Sandinistas in her twenties, to serve and then lead in their underground resistance. If part of her wanted to fulfil society's classic code of femininity and produce four children (which she did), there was also part which wanted the privileges of men - the freedom to carry out clandestine operations, to forge the Sandinista resistance effort even with toddler and infant in tow.'Conspiracy came easy to me,' confesses Belli. She hid political pamphlets from her first husband as she hid her love affairs with remarkable men. This remarkable book is a journey of the heart, through marriages and grand passions, as well as an insider's view of a revolutionary movement. From Nicaragua and its intrigue to Cuba where she locked horns with Castro, to exile in Costa Rica where she organised an underground network, back to a triumphant if short-lived Sandinista government where she was in charge of State television, Gioconda Belli's life is one of real-life intrigue - political and romantic - and hard-won wisdom. And as a novelist and poet, Belli has created her self-portrait with great skill and eloquence.'

Another review:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/dec/21/featuresreviews.guardianreview6

el_pas_bajo_mi_piel_usa_1_grande.jpg

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Currently reading Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen.
A terrific autobiography, amazing story of one of the greatest musicians the world has seen.
From his tough childhood upbringing, to his determination to be a musician to his legendary status he has now.
Voted one of the top ten books of 2016 by book critics.
Super read

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Re-reading all my Jilly Cooper's in order at the moment :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here