Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I read it straight after A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Love that book - a great read. Unlike A Little Life, which marked the first time in about 15 years when I had to give up on a book - couldn't be bothered to soldier on for the inevitable onslaught of brutality, and was finding the characters really quite annoying anyway. Currently reading A Guide To The New Ruins of Great Britain by Owen Hatherley, basically a rant against Blairite postmodern architecture and regeneration (particularly 'stunning' riverside developments) and a defence of concrete brutalism. Got it as a gift, quite looking forward to finishing it and getting back to something a bit more pretentious.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Having finished the work of fiction that is former MI5 operative Tom Marcus's autobullshitography Soldier Spy, I'm now switching between the excellent The Humans by Matt Haig and A Life Too Short, the biography of German goalie Robert Enke.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Been speeding through Stephen King's 'Carrie'.

He's a favourite of mine but I've mostly stuck to his post-crash, post-addiction stuff. Just now reading his earlier work.

If you haven't read The Stand,make that your next one, it's his best,imo

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If you haven't read The Stand,make that your next one, it's his best,imo

Oh I've gone through The Stand a couple of times. I regularly read IT as well.

I love the world-building in The Stand. His apocalypse is so believable; minus the supernatural / religious stuff.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just finished "D-Day: The Battle for Normandy" by Antony Beevor.

Not read Beevor before. His attention to detail before and after the Normandy landings is first class. Will definitely be reading some more of his publications.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Came across 'Death Comes Knocking' at Gatwick last week for a quick read on holiday. Interesting that I know a couple of people mentioned quite well and all about local crimes. Boring bits keeps relating to Peter James books that I have never read.
Laughable bit the female officer in charge was correct in marching the Palace fans up past the Standard to the station. Balkham mentioned,wasn't happy

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Picked up The Martian by Andy Weir at my local bookshop (BHF charity shop in London Road, £1.50). Not seen the film because Matt Damon films always strike me as a bit meh! The book is WAY more Gravity than Interstellar, but an entertaining enough read nonetheless.

good book, more amusing than the film.

although i enjoyed the film greatly too, well worth a watch

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Ian Rankin's Black and Blue
an old Rebus novel, re-written (apparently) and remarketed
Bloody good

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Look Who's Back - about Hitler returning to Berlin after being asleep for 70 years (it may have appeared on this thread before but I can't be bothered to look). It's pretty funny so far, I suspect it may get a bit darker

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
just finishing Shantaram for the second time, having recently read the follow up the mountain shadow.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Been on a science fiction binge.

Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. Really really good. Similar kind of humour to Iain M Banks.

Plus enjoyed The Windup Girl and also The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Need a bit of a break from dystopian futures and nanotech so moving onto Cormac McCarthys border trilogy.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Memory Man - David Baldacci

Literally only just started so a review would be pointless.

Its my 2nd Baldacci book, was'nt entirley convinced on my first outing by him so giving this one a go.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Cycling the Earth by Sean Conway. The title is pretty accurate. He comes across as a lovely guy and it's an awesome achievement but it is just a tad ...........dull. There's only so many ways and number of times that you can describe a headwind. The trouble is that he's in such a hurry to get the job done (at one point he was chasing the world record) that there's not much time for adventure.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just got round to I, Partridge which has started hilariously.

Just compelted We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler, which was an interesting and thought provoking story with a superb twist. Decent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here