Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What are the main differences between Potterball and De Zerbi ball?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We now go for the jugular when we break not giving teams time to get everyone behind the ball is the biggest attacking difference imo. We take far more risks at the back to do this though

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Deeper defense and more of the build-up happening on the own half to create spaces on the opposition (rather than occupying it and relying on combinations to lock up their defense).

Potter is more adaptive while RDZ is more interested in optimising one strategy.
Wrong , RDZ said "i find the solution in training , but when they play they must find the solution "

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It feels so much quicker, perhaps because it doesn't go backwards as much. Much more advanced out wide (rather than relying on wing backs coming from deep) so as a fan of wingers generally.

Basically, the two things i found frustrating about GP.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really rate Potter. But I think he is a good manager. Simply.
I actually think RDZ is a genius. You have to be a bit mad to be a genius..and he's definitely a bit of a madman. All this stuff about staying up until dawn watching reruns of the Liverpool game. Texting players at 1am. It's got elements of Bielsa about it. But clearly with more a tactical back bone. He's only 43. It's very exciting.
I loved him being in the thick of things as Solly was cheered into the players room on Saturday, a beaming Italian loon. It must be great to have an ultra positive boss like that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That crossed my mind too. Look out for Chelsea throwing everyone forward :lolol:
Brighton did as well, at pretty much every goal you can see 5+ players in the box... but yeah I'm pretty done with trying to sort this history revisionism out.
I'm just going to accept what has been very noticeble: people actually don't remember how Brighton played with GP in charge.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Is it just me? March and Mitoma seem to play more as inside-forwards than wingers. This results in more players getting into the box and seems to be the main differance.
Great days to be an Albion fan

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brighton did as well, at pretty much every goal you can see 5+ players in the box... but yeah I'm pretty done with trying to sort this history revisionism out.
I'm just going to accept what has been very noticeble: people actually don't remember how Brighton played with GP in charge.
Trying to be objective:

1. Potter revolutionised our football. CH had done an amazing job, but the football became shit, allied to some transfer faux pas’s (not his fault).
2. Actually going to home games in the Potter years was incredibly frustrating. Great possession although he did later mix that up, but every single club bar Liverpool and Leicester seemed to employ a low block, GP often didn’t have a solution.
3. But some great wins. Then it finally gelled at The Emirates last April. Why? By luck or judgement we had a brilliant CM 3, 3 destroyers. A personal view, I love 5 in midfield.
4. RDZ, I’d never heard of him, does seem to be a step up. Literally walking to the park n ride pre match I expect a win. I hadn’t felt that since 2016/17.
5. I belatedly realised that the club set up is greater than GP and RDZ. It’s tailor made for quality coaches to have success.

Chelsea are breaking all records on spending, we’ve not seen this since the mad PSG summer of Neymar et al. They’ll finish higher than us this season and next. Nothing against GP, but it’ll simply be through spending, giving them 24 talented options for every game + Cucurella.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I'm interested to see how our play evolves when we encounter teams that employ a low block, as that has been something Potter never quite worked out a counter to.

It’s evolved - We put our studs on the ball! - Watch and learn

And more of this 👏

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That RDZ is far more exciting and gets better results as a coach than GP ?

I'm just winding you up, GP did a great job, as did CH :wink: At the end of this season will be a good point to judge and at the end of next season will be an even better point to judge. I do think there will be a point when other managers get wise to RDZ and we will need to see what happens then, but he's certainly got me feeling excited and confident at the moment, and he is definitely more flair than GP and CH :thumbsup:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Four at the back opposed to a three, RDZ plays with wingers not relying on WB’s.
Potter struggles to set up a team from kick off to win the game in the first half. A reasonably settled team is providing success most top teams don’t adapt to the opposition the opposition has to work out a way to get something out of the game.
Potter often to late to react when it’s not working ie Fulham.
Potter went RDZ’s preferred line up against Palace which was quite amusing.

Last edited:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Potter aimed to dominate possession to control the game and reduce risk.

De Zerbi aims to dominate possession and move the ball to create scoring chances. With general domination or self harm/loss of domination being occassional side effects.

That's the main difference in my opinion.

A lot more similarities than difference I would say. Compared to other teams.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Main difference is the ability to score goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here