Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What are the main differences between Potterball and De Zerbi ball?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They worked out what the white thing with a net in at each end of the pitch is for

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I feel like the players know the 'set plays' of our style a lot better now. Obviously a lot of the football is free flowing, creative, and certain passing patterns happen spontaneously. But I feel like there are now certain set plays which our entire 11 is on the look out for, where it's almost like as a group they they see the opportunity for 'passing Move A' to happen and its go go go, everyone knows their part in it. When Dunk makes that pass into Caicedo, and he then quickly shifts it out to Pervis, you can see Mitoma/MacAllister/Lallana/Gross all make a dash for their finishing point of the move. Being that well drilled makes it all so effective, and increases the hit rate with goals. Where as last season we probably had these similar moves but they didnt feel as drilled into the players, and so certain players wouldnt be on time to link up with it or finish the move, and therefor the play breaks down.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
This is another good analysis video.

In essence, when we hit the opposition box with Potter, it was mostly full of opposition players. RDZ ‘baits’ the other team into attacking positions which leaves our forward players (after a super quick transition) with more space and less bodies to shoot through.

I agree, this is the best video so far that explains how Brighton now play and why it is so exciting.

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I really rate Potter. But I think he is a good manager. Simply.
I actually think RDZ is a genius. You have to be a bit mad to be a genius..and he's definitely a bit of a madman. All this stuff about staying up until dawn watching reruns of the Liverpool game. Texting players at 1am. It's got elements of Bielsa about it. But clearly with more a tactical back bone. He's only 43. It's very exciting.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You played nice football under Potter, De Zerbi more of the same or much different/better?
Coached better, we're fitter and expectation of commitment to the team is higher. He doesn't like wasters in the team.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It bears very little resemblance to Potter style. A lot more risk taking, switches of pace from slow to fast and defending/attacking as a team. A lot of trust in the players, which they seem to be thriving upon. The likes of Caicedo, March, Mitoma and Colwill are absolutely thriving with this style.
Whilst Sussex lads Solly and Dunk appear to be having the time of their footballing lives.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's simple - GOALS. How many times have we scored 3 goals in a Prem match?

Potter: 13 times in 120 games
De Zerbi: 6 times in 12 games.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
There's an element of shell shock that didn't exist under Potter. The last few months of him here we scored some gorgeous goals. They were kind of pure. Pure football. With RDZ teams look haggard. They literally have no idea where people are, where the ball is.
I'm obviously absolutely loving the football at the moment- never thought I'd ever see us destroy very good teams in the PL as we have been lately - but I am intrigued to see what happens when we hit a bad patch under RDZ (of course we will some point). That's where we'll get more of a picture. Obviously @Swansman is very much pro GP, but he has a good point - too early to directly compare who's the 'better' manager. Will RDZ be able to adapt if/when PL teams start to work our how to stop us

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
25 years maybe?
Always difficult to judge since two managers rarely have identical working conditions. Might have to wait until they both retire to see how they've coped with various challenges over their careers.
Is that Swedish for ‘de Zerbi is better’?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
There is an element of DeZ standing on the shoulders of giants in coming in to this team with the players at the levels they were already at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here